The 3 Best Assisted Living Facilities in Hollister, CA for 2023
To help you with your search, browse the 1 review below for assisted living facilities in Hollister. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Hollister 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Hollister, call (855) 863-8283.
Directory of Assisted Living Facilities in Hollister, CA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Hollister
Hollister is a small agricultural town inland of the Monterey Bay area with main streets that still sport early 20th-century Victorian housing blocks and outlying hilly farm country that's dotted with thriving vineyards. Over 40,000 people live in Hollister, but only 8.5% of local residents are seniors aged 65 and over.
These seniors have a choice between the town's six assisted living facilities. Seniors who reside in these facilities get daily help with chores, personal care and meal preparation, often along with complimentary transportation to and from medical appointments. All of Hollister's assisted living communities are regulated by the California Department of Social Services' Community Care Licensing Division.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Hollister
- The climate in Hollister is typical of California's central coast. Mild summer highs of 82 degrees are offset by even more mild winter lows of 31 overnight. Hollister gets roughly 14 inches of rain in a typical year.
- The cost of living in Hollister is up to 66% higher than the national average, though most of this premium lies in the generally high cost of local real estate. The general cost of living in California is up to 67% higher than the national average, putting Hollister slightly below the surrounding communities. For services seniors in assisted living may need, prices in Hollister can fall well below the national average. Healthcare, for instance, costs 10% less in Hollister than in a typical U.S. city.
- Crime rates in Hollister are low across the board. Seniors in Hollister live in a community with just over half of the typical crime rate for similar-sized communities nationwide, and violent crime is less common still.
- County Express provides much of the public transportation seniors in Hollister can use for local and inter-county travel. Seniors are expected to pay full fares on most routes, though caregivers and personal attendants ride for free on the service's ADA-Paratransit vehicles.
- The Hollister area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Hazel Hawkins Memorial Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Hollister has an array of community resources for seniors, including the YMCA of San Benito County, an organization that offers seniors health and wellness facilities, diabetes and blood pressure education and help with personal fitness training, as well as two senior centers.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Hollister
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in California
Assisted Living costs in Hollister start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Hollister and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Hollister
Seniors in Hollister who need help paying the monthly cost of assisted living may be eligible for Supplemental Security Income (SSI), which pays a monthly stipend to low-income seniors who meet program guidelines.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in California page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Hollister
Hollister and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Hollister, please visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Hollister
Hollister-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in California are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in California page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Hollister
Review of Whispering Pines Inn, Llc
My mom is doing fine at the Whispering Pines Inn - Llc. They're very caring, very accommodating to everything my mom and I need if I need to drop something off at the home or I need to update her m... Read more