98 Assisted Living Facilities near Lakewood, CA
There are 98 Assisted Living Facilities in the Lakewood area, with 4 in Lakewood and 94 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Lakewood is $3,850 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,500. Cheaper nearby regions include Bellflower with an average starting cost of $2,400.
To help you with your search, browse the 370 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Lakewood. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Lakewood 4.4 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Cerritos with an average rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Lakewood, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Lakewood, CA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Lakewood
The city of Lakewood is located close to Los Angelos and has a population of over 80,000 residents, with only 12.4 percent ages 65 and over. There are two senior centers in Lakewood and community events throughout the year such as Concerts in the Park. There are also four residential care facilities in Lakewood and 53 nearby.
Each facility in Lakewood is overseen by the California Department of Social Services (CDSS), Community Care Licensing Division (CCLD). The CCLD provides licenses and enforces all regulations in each RCF to provide seniors with quality services and a safe environment.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Lakewood
- The cost of living in Lakewood is 54 percent higher than the national average and 2 percent higher than the state average. However, seniors do enjoy somewhat lower health and grocery expenses here than the national average.
- The area of Lakewood experiences some of the worse air quality in the nation, scoring in the top 10 in three separate categories of pollutants by the American Lung Association. Seniors who face difficulty with respiratory issues should consider this.
- Residents in Lakewood experience 82 percent higher crime rates than other cities and towns in California, due to increasing property crime. Violent crime is almost half the national average, making it safer for seniors in residential care facilities.
- Lakewood residents pay a 9.5 percent combined sales tax, 3 percent higher than the national average. Seniors only receive a tax exemption on SSI, while paying full taxes on other retirement incomes. This is something seniors should consider being moving to an RCF here.
- Lakewood, part of Lost Angeles County, is a member of the AARP Network of Age-Friendly Communities, meaning that its elected leadership "has made the commitment to actively work toward making their town, city or country a great place for people of all ages," according to AARP.
- The Lakewood areas are home to world-class medical facilities, including Lakewood Regional Medical Center, Memorial Healthcare and Long Beach Memorial Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies.
Paying for Assisted Living in Lakewood
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in California
Assisted Living costs in Lakewood start around $3,850 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Lakewood and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Lakewood
The Lakewood area offers eligible seniors three financial assistance options for RCF care, including the Medicaid 1915(c) Assisted Living Waiver Program, Supplemental Security Income (SSI) and the optional state supplement (OSS).
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in California page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Lakewood
Lakewood and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Lakewood, please visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Lakewood
Lakewood-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in California are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in California page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Lakewood
Review of Mom & Dad's House
The one that we’re considering right now is called Mom & Dad's House. They’re wonderful. It’s a great place. I like it. I visited several other facilities that were assisted living and one memo... Read more
Review of Rise N' Shine Villa II
I went to visit Rise N’ Shine for a visit, and I was not impressed at all. It was more like a home setting, and when I walked in, their caretakers were sitting on the couch, and it was not very cle... Read more
Review of Mom & Dad's House
I have nothing but the highest praises for this facility and the staff. My Mother was a resident there until her recent passing. I was so very impressed with the warmth and coziness of the house an... Read more