57 Assisted Living Facilities near Elk Grove, CA
With an average cost of $3,553 in Elk Grove, it’s often difficult to find assisted living communities that provide high-quality care at an affordable price. At Caring.com, our mission is to make this process as smooth and painless as possible, and we’ve helped many families along the way.
This guide provides everything you need to quickly compare communities and narrow your search, including 60 unique reviews from residents and our comprehensive database that gives pricing, amenity information, photos and more on the 32 facilities in Elk Grove.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Elk Grove, CA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Elk Grove
Elk Grove was once a small farm town on the extreme southern edge of Sacramento, CA. Today, it's a major city in its own right and boasts at least 15 assisted living communities, as well as numerous 6- to 8-bed residential care facilities. These are both state regulated through the Department of Social Services Senior Care Licensing division. Though conditions at these properties vary, California's aging citizens in assisted living can generally expect room and board, round-the-clock emergency care and help from staff with the activities of daily living, such as dressing and personal care.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Elk Grove
- Elk Grove directly adjoins Sacramento shares the same weather. Daily highs in the city average 74 degrees Fahrenheit and lows average 48 degrees. Rainfall measures 18.5 inches annually.
Sacramento County's air quality gets an F from The American Lung Association for both ozone and particulate pollution. Though the region's air has been improving fairly steadily for over 20 years, making it a bit more comfortable for seniors with respiratory concerns.
- Elk Grove residents are part of Sacramento County's tax area, so they pay 7.75 percent sales taxes, which impacts seniors on a fixed income. California has high-income tax rates that start at 10.8 percent, but go up for singles making over $260,000 a year. Retirement income and SSI are not taxed at the state level in California, which can make a real difference for seniors on a fixed income.
- It's possible to get around Elk Grove without a private car, but the local bus system, e-Tran, mostly sticks to the major corridors, such as Big Horn and Elk Grove Blvds. Sacramento Regional Transit (RT) also provides some coverage, as well as connections to as far north as the Roseville border.
- Elk Grove has taken on some artistic airs as it has grown out of its old farm-based economy. These days, the city puts on a monthly First Friday art walk that sees local artists selling their works on the main drag in town.
- Elk Grove has several local hospitals that provide a generally high level of care. Just across the city line to the north, Kaiser Permanente South Sacramento Medical Center greets patients from a vast complex that offers world-class emergency care and excellent inpatient surgery and other services.
Paying for Assisted Living in Elk Grove
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in California
Assisted Living costs in Elk Grove start around $3,553 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Elk Grove and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Elk Grove
Seniors who require financial assistance with an ALF can seek eligibility through the California Medicaid program. Low-income individuals who prefer to live in an ALF rather than a nursing home may also receive help through the Assisted Living Waiver Program.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in California page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Elk Grove
Elk Grove and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Elk Grove, please visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Elk Grove
Elk Grove-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in California are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in California page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near Elk Grove, CA
Other Options in Elk Grove, CA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Elk Grove
Review of Brookdale Elk Grove
Even though I already visited Brookdale Elk Grove, the lady that I've been dealing with, Gabriela, wanted to do a video tour to refresh my memory. That was nice because when I went over it the firs... Read more
Review of The Commons at Elk Grove
We visited my mom's friend at The Commons at Elk Grove and also got a tour of the place. At the time they had a seven month waiting list. The other place I saw had more outside activities, not just... Read more
Review of Brookdale Elk Grove
My grandmother moved into Brookdale Elk Grove. It's a lot cozier than a lot of the nursing homes, and she felt pretty comfortable there. They have a variety of activities, the food is pretty good, ... Read more