Sacramento is the capital of the state of California and is known as the produce capital of the country. The city has a population of 513,624, and about 13.1% of residents are aged 65 and older. Seniors in Sacramento have access to excellent healthcare at UC Davis Medical Center, which is a teaching hospital that’s nationally ranked by USN in nine adult specialties.

Nursing home care provides around-the-clock medical care and assistance to seniors who have chronic diseases or are extremely frail. This type of care is often expensive and isn’t necessary for all seniors. Loved ones may want to look at alternative care options such as home health care and assisted living. According to the Genworth Cost of Care Survey 2020, the average cost of nursing home care in Sacramento is $9,946 for a semiprivate room, which is higher than the national average of $7,756.

This guide looks at the costs of nursing home care in Sacramento and surrounding cities as well as the costs of alternative care options. Additionally, it looks at free resources for seniors in the Sacramento area.

Directory of Nursing Homes in Sacramento, CA

Eskaton Care Center Greenhaven

455 Florin Road, Sacramento, CA, 95831

I was in this facility for 4 weeks recovering from a car accident. The nurses, aides, physical and occupational therapists, discharge and planning staff and the custodial care folks all were competent … (read more)

Pioneer House

415 P STREET, Sacramento, CA, 95814

The rooms are large, clean and comfortable. The staff is friendly, very attentive and professional. The needs of each resident are addressed in a custom care plan developed in conjunction with the fam … (read more)

University Post-Acute Rehab

2120 Stockton Blvd, Sacramento, CA, 95817

I had a very excellent care at University Post-Acute Rehab. I was in there three times — first for two weeks, six weeks, and then for 10 weeks. It’s a new University, and the only thing they do is … (read more)

Norwood Pines Alzheimers Center

500 JESSIE AVENUE, Sacramento, CA, 95838

We needed a locked down facility for mom Who tends to escape from regular hospitals. We found Norwood Pines. It is an older facility that needs updating but most importantly I found the staff and car … (read more)

Gramercy Court

2200 Gramercy Drive, Sacramento, CA, 95825

Strongly suggest family and friends visit their loved one on a daily basis at many different times and hours. Periodically pop in unexpectedly. CNA’s lack compassion so please listen to your loved one … (read more)

Florin Health Care Center

7400 24TH STREET, Sacramento, CA, 95822

I visited the Florin Health Care Center several times over the past 3 years. My grandmother lived there before she decided to move back to her home town in Kansas. I was very satisfied with Florin Hea … (read more)

Bruceville Terrace-d/p Snf of Methodist Hosp

8151 BRUCEVILLE ROAD, Sacramento, CA, 95823

Though small in size, upon visiting one is constantly reminded that Bruceville Terrace is part of a much larger hospital campus. Despite staff attempts to create a home for their patients – including … (read more)

ACC Care Center

7801 Rush River Drive, Sacramento, CA, 95831

I had a Skype call scheduled for today with the ACC Greenzone at 10 AM and was on Skype prior to the appointment and waited for 30 minutes online. While waiting I’ve called the Green Zone nonstop and … (read more)

Saint Claire’s Nursing Center

6248 66TH AVENUE, Sacramento, CA, 95823

My mother inlaw has been at St. Claire’s for over a year She had received great care from the Doctors and staff. The staff is very kind and courteous. The facility is clean not like others we’ve visit … (read more)

Asbury Park Nursing & Rehab

2257 FAIR OAKS BLVD., Sacramento, CA, 95825

My husband had increasing dementia and Parkinson’s. We were very impressed with the quality of care and the thoughtfulness and competence of staff. Not our first choice until we were actually ther … (read more)

Sutter Oaks Nursing Center-midtown D/p Snf

2600 L STREET, Sacramento, CA, 95816

My sister-in-law is in Midtown Oaks, a skilled nursing and rehab facility. We’ve had some problems with them. They’re not being responsive, so we have to push a lot to get things for her. We have no … (read more)

Emerald Gardens

6821 24TH STREET, Sacramento, CA, 95822

Located twenty minutes south of downtown Sacramento Emerald Gardens is a Skilled Nursing Care Home. To find Emerald Gardens, simply travel south on I-5 from Sacramento, take Florin Rd. East and turn l … (read more)

Windsor Care Center of Sacramento

501 Jessie Avenue, Sacramento, CA, 95838

My mom was in Windsor nursing home in Sacramento and broke her hip. It’s terrible. We had a very bad experience. The staff was not caring and didn’t pay much attention. The facility needed updating an … (read more)

McKinley Park Care Center

3700 H Street, Sacramento, CA, 95816

I was there for 1 1/2 hours and felt like I needed my ‘Get Out Of Jail Free’ card. Went home without any meds and will Kaiser this a.m. I would never put a family member there and me with 4 fractu … (read more)

Horizon West Sacramento Center for SubAcute Care

5255 Hemlock Street, Sacramento, CA, 95841

My husband was in Sacramento Post-Acute. I was not thrilled with them. The physical therapist and occupational therapist were very good, and the nursing staff was just excellent, but for some reason t … (read more)

Arden Rehab & Health Center

3400 Alta Arden Expy, Sacramento, CA, 95825

So disappointed with this facility! My Dad was transferred to the hospital with a infection and nuemonia …why they waited so long to send him there, I don’t know…when he got to the hospital, they … (read more)

College Oak Nursing & Rehabilitation Center

4635 College Oak Drive, Sacramento, CA, 95841

The rooms are outdated and grim. Staff behaved like bullies, and not knowledgeable of social services. Unprofessional and arrogant.

Applewood Care Center

1090 RIO LANE, Sacramento, CA, 95822

Briarwood Post-Acute

5901 LEMON HILL AVE, Sacramento, CA, 95824

Nursing Home Costs in Sacramento, California

The average monthly cost of nursing home care in Sacramento is $9,946 for a semiprivate room and $13,688 for a private room.

The Cost of Nursing Home Care in Nearby Cities

Seniors may be interested in the costs of nursing home care in nearby cities. Using the average monthly cost of a semiprivate room as a comparison point, the cost of nursing home care in Sacramento is much higher than the national average of $7,756. However, it’s similar to the California state average of $9,247.

The average monthly cost of nursing home care in the nearby cities of Santa Rosa ($9,946), Vallejo ($9,429) and Santa Cruz ($9,201) are similar to the costs in Sacramento. However, the average cost of care is much higher in San Francisco at $12,471 per month.

Sacramento

Santa Cruz

$12471

San Francisco

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

Seniors and their loved ones may be interested in the costs of alternative care options in Sacramento. The cheapest option is adult day care at an average cost of $1,918 per month, while assisted living has an average monthly cost of $5,395. Home care and home health services both have a monthly average cost of $5,863. At the other end of the price scale, nursing home care has an average monthly cost of $9,946 for a semiprivate room and $13,688 for a private room.

$1918

Home care

$5863

Home health care

$9946

Nursing home (semiprivate room)

$13688

Nursing home (private room)

Financial Assistance for Nursing Home Care in Sacramento, California

Free Resources for Seniors in Sacramento, California

A range of free resources is available for seniors in Sacramento who wish to remain in their homes for as long as safely possible. One of the resources provides information services for seniors who have decided to move to nursing home care and need help working out possible financial assistance options.

ResourceContactServices
Meals on Wheels(916) 444-9533Meals on Wheels by ACC delivers meals to homebound seniors aged 60 and over in Sacramento County who are unable to prepare a meal for themselves. Eligible seniors must lack consistent support or assistance and are subject to an assessment to determine if they qualify. Volunteers deliver a meal around noon each day from Monday to Friday. Three times a week, meal enhancements such as salads or desserts are included. The volunteers carry out a safety check when delivering the meals and will report any concerns to the relevant authorities. There’s no charge for the meals, but donations are appreciated.
ACC Rides(916) 393-9026 ext. 333The ACC Rides Transportation Service provides door-to-door transportation for seniors aged 60 and over who can’t drive or don’t have access to a car. Transport is provided to congregate meal sites, senior centers, medical appointments, field trips and grocery stores. There’s no charge for the service, but donations are welcomed.
State Health Insurance Assistance Programs(800) 434-0022The California Health Insurance Counseling and Advocacy Program assists seniors by providing free and unbiased information on health care options in the state. Staff members are available 24/7 to provide information and ensure seniors are making the best choices for their health requirements. The counselors can help seniors in applying for any financial assistance benefits they may be eligible for. They can also help locate nursing care homes that accept Medicare and other health insurance benefits.