47 Assisted Living Facilities near Palm Desert, CA
With an average cost of $3,322 in Palm Desert, it’s often difficult to find assisted living communities that provide high-quality care at an affordable price. At Caring.com, our mission is to make this process as smooth and painless as possible, and we’ve helped many families along the way.
This guide provides everything you need to quickly compare communities and narrow your search, including 62 unique reviews from residents and our comprehensive database that gives pricing, amenity information, photos and more on the 13 facilities in Palm Desert.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Palm Desert, CA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Palm Desert
Palm Desert, a community in Riverside County, is a popular spot for retirees and "snowbirds," who descend on the city in the tens of thousands each year. Seniors, who make up over 32 percent of the population here, may want to check out The Living Desert Zoo and Gardens, a popular attraction, as well as the city's serene natural pools and parks.
There are 15 local assisted living facilities in Palm Desert and 44 nearby. Each facility is governed by the California Department of Social Services, Community Care Licensing Division, which refers to assisted living facilities as Residential Care Facilities for the Elderly.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Palm Desert
- The city of Palm Desert has some of the worse air quality in the nation. Seniors who suffer from respiratory illnesses should consider this before moving to the city.
- Elevating property crimes in Palm Desert are now 65 percent higher than the national average. These crimes are higher than 90 percent of all other communities of comparable size in the state safer than this city. Low violence drops violence crime rates 272 percent below the national median.
- The cost of living in Palm Desert is only 10 percent higher than the national average. Other cities in California have a higher median and are usually 52 percent higher, making it an affordable option for low or fixed income seniors.
- The Palm Desert area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Eisenhower Primary Care - Palm Desert, Kaiser Permanente Palm Desert Medical Offices and Optimal Health Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- California is known for not being tax-friendly and does not provide seniors with a tax-exemption on retirement income other than SSI. Palm Desert residents have a combined 7.75 percent sales tax compared to the 6 percent national average and 8.54 percent state average.
- Palm Desert has an array of community resources for seniors, including Cover Communities Senior Association - The Joslyn Center, an organization that provides social and health services, wellness center and programs, information and group activities and own one senior center.
Paying for Assisted Living in Palm Desert
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in California
Assisted Living costs in Palm Desert start around $3,297 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Palm Desert and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Palm Desert
Eligible seniors in the Palm Desert area have one available Medicare option and two state options for financial assistance. These include the Med-Cali Home and Community-Based Services (HCBS) Assisted Living Waiver (ALW), Supplemental Security Income (SSI) and the optional state supplement (OSS).
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in California page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Palm Desert
Palm Desert and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Palm Desert, please visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Palm Desert
Palm Desert-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in California are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in California page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near Palm Desert, CA
Other Options in Palm Desert, CA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Palm Desert
Review of Atria Hacienda
After looking at several assisted living facilities, we chose Atria Hacienda to move my mom to 3 years ago. The apartments are good size (bigger than some of our kids!), they have kitchens with a ... Read more
Review of Atria Palm Desert
My family and I are so happy that we found Atria in Palm Desert. This facility is wonderful in so many ways. From Debbie, Alyssa and Mike at reception, to the med techs providing medications and c... Read more
Review of Atria Palm Desert
Our mother has resided at the outstanding Atria Palm Desert for several years and couldn’t be happier. She frequently mentions how much she loves and appreciates all of her caretakers. And we have ... Read more