25 Assisted Living Facilities near Palm Springs, CA
With an average cost of $3,223 in Palm Springs, it’s often difficult to find assisted living communities that provide high-quality care at an affordable price. At Caring.com, our mission is to make this process as smooth and painless as possible, and we’ve helped many families along the way.
This guide provides everything you need to quickly compare communities and narrow your search, including 49 unique reviews from residents and our comprehensive database that gives pricing, amenity information, photos and more on the 8 facilities in Palm Springs.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Palm Springs, CA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Palm Springs
Located in Riverside County, Palm Springs is a desert resort city spanning 95 miles. It is the largest city in the county in terms of land area. Seniors, age 65 and over, in Palm Springs make up approximately 30 percent of population. As such, there are eight assisted living facilities in Palm Springs and another 42 in nearby towns.
California's assisted living communities are classified as Residential Care Facilities for the Elderly (RCFE) and overseen by the California Department of Social Services' Community Care Licensing Division.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Palm Springs
- The cost of living in Palm Springs is 22 percent higher than the national average. Although this reflects in higher home prices, the cost of assisted living in Palm Springs is actually slightly lower than both state and national averages.
- Palm Springs experiences a crime rate that is 111 percent higher than the California average, fueled primarily by property crimes including theft and burglary, so seniors should be cautious when traveling away from their facility.
- Palm Springs' climate is quite pleasant through fall, winter and spring months but can become extremely hot during the summer with temperatures well into the triple digits, making air conditioning an absolute must for seniors.
- Palm Springs boasts a vibrant Cultural Center that provides year-round programming in live theatre, movie screenings, artist in residence programs, book clubs, speaker series and a farmers market seniors can enjoy on group outings.
- Eisenhower Health, located near Palm Springs in Rancho Mirage, is highly ranked in the Riverside-San Bernadino area and recognized for its high performance in hip and knee replacement and the treatment of COPD, heart failure and lung and colon cancer.
- The Sunline Transit Agency serves the greater Palm Springs area, providing buses, transportation for disabled residents, plus a taxi voucher program. It runs within the city of Palm Springs plus connects to Palm Desert, Cathedral City, Coachella and beyond. Senior fares are very low, including transfers to other services.
Paying for Assisted Living in Palm Springs
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in California
Assisted Living costs in Palm Springs start around $3,059 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Palm Springs and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Palm Springs
Palm Springs residents can qualify for Medi-Cal's Assisted Living Waiver program, which covers many of the costs seniors are charged by assisted living communities. This program has income and care level guidelines that must be met for coverage to kick in. Riverside County, where Palm Springs is located, is one of the counties covered by the Medi-Cal waiver program. Seniors must still contribute toward their room and board costs from either their own income, their own assets, private senior care policy coverage, or through family contributions.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in California page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Palm Springs
Palm Springs and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Palm Springs, please visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Palm Springs
Palm Springs-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in California are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in California page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near Palm Springs, CA
Other Options in Palm Springs, CA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Palm Springs
Review of Windsor Court Assisted Living
The woman I met at Windsor Court was Jennifer. She was very personable with a great personality, and helpful in every way. The facility is very clean and the rooms were very nice. They have sing... Read more
Review of Pacifica Senior Living Palm Springs
I was able to tour Pacifica Senior Living Palm Springs. The staff members were nice. Everything was fine, it's just for the money, the room was small. The facility itself was nice. The neighborhood... Read more
Review of Pacifica Senior Living Palm Springs
I was very pleased with Pacifica Senior Living Palm Springs, but it was more than we could afford, and it's too far from where our home is, so distance is a problem. Nevertheless, I was impressed w... Read more