Brookdale Sunwest Hemet, CA

Offers Assisted Living, Independent Living, Continuing Care Communities, and Memory Care

1001 N Lyon Avenue, Hemet, CA 92545
Brookdale Sunwest (800) 385-2527

Reviews of Brookdale Sunwest

Assisted Living Reviews for Brookdale Sunwest

January 02, 2019

By Joveta

Brookdale Sunwest was very nice. The rooms were not spacious, but normal sized, like an apartment. We looked at a one-bedroom apartment for independent living. They certainly were clean, ready to move in to, and looked really good. They had an independent living building, an Alzheimer's building, and an assisted living building, and they had some little duplexes where one of our friends lives. They had two areas that had small duplexes with attached garage and a small backyard in each one. They had a very nice library and one of the residents was having a birthday party the day we were there. They had very nice chairs and tables set up throughout the lower floor. We had a nice lunch in the dining room. They used tablecloths and napkins. They had people who come to your table and wait on you like you were in a restaurant, plus a menu that you can pick from. They had a swimming pool and all kinds of activities; the staff gave us a list. They had a bus that you can take if you don't have a car or don't drive. They also had cars and you can make arrangements for a driver. The staff was very nice.

November 20, 2017

By Anonymous

We chose Brookdale Sunwest for Mom because the accommodations were nicer, it appeared to be safer, and the people were nicer. There's assisted living as well.

May 31, 2017

By elizabeth687564

Brookdale Sunwest is very nice and the most reasonably priced in Southern California. I like it very much. The food is decent. The grounds are fairly well kept especially around the community building. They have lots of planned activities for the people. I would say Brookdale Sunwest is the best place for the money. The staff members seem very pleasant to me. I have 2 bedrooms, 2 baths, and a kitchenette with everything that I need. The ground is built in a square with the courtyard in the middle, and some of the apartments come out on the courtyard.

July 27, 2016

By Janyce276535

Brookdale Sunwest offers everything. It's different. It's a Spanish village-type atmosphere. The dining room is very nice. They have a huge fireplace, library, all the amenities that you'd want, white tablecloths, and cloth napkins at all meals, and meals are served by a waitress, not buffet style.

March 20, 2016

By Jeanine W.

I’ve been to the Alzheimer's unit of Brookdale Sunwest. It was nice, clean, and roomy, but the staff was rude.

April 25, 2015

By David109919650

Brookdale Sunwest is really nice. I know the facility is older, but it didn't seem like it. The biggest difference is the assisted living my mom would have been in is on the third floor. I know at the time she wouldn't be able to get around as well there. She would need a lot more assistance. It is a nice facility, and they have a big dining room. That was another thing too because she might have gotten a little lost in that dining room. It is a large, very spacious facility. As for the activities, they basically have the same things like people coming in for entertainment. They have dancing, and they play the Wii gaming system. I know in the memory section, they have more activities all day going on just to keep them active. The staff and everybody were all really great to deal with. The cleanliness was very nice. I wouldn't have known it's older than it was because it's very nice. You walk in, and it looks brand new.

February 20, 2015

By Suzers

My Father is a new resident of Brookdale Sunwest and is so happy he made the move. His apartment is perfect, staff and residents alike are very friendly and he is loving the social interaction. The grounds are neatly kept and the community room is lovely with its open living room, library and dining room giving the setting a warm and airy feel. I can only hope when I am ready to make the transition to an Independent Senior Living Community I will be able to find one as wonderful as Brookdale Sunwest.

June 20, 2012

By Mymotherskeeper

This facility is very pleasant and does not feel as if you are visiting an "old" persons home. The staff was great and my family friend recommends all his friends to come and live there too. It was great Thanks for a chance to win an IPAD ;-). God Bless Hedy Demboowski

May 23, 2012

By janal

I'll be choosing this place just in case my dad stays here in California. The facility is clean and they have a lot of activities as well. The health care people were really nice. So I'm comfortable placing my dad on this facility, just in case.

December 13, 2011

By ammoses88

Upon visiting the Merrill Gardens- Sunwest Village in Hemet California, I was greeted by a beautiful landscape and a welcoming garden. The grounds and facility offer a safe and warm environment for its residence, while maintaining a beautiful decor. The individual rooms are small, but do include a private balcony or patio. The Facility offers a schedule of events for its residence and visitors that can help with leading an active lifestyle. Classes such as sewing, low impact aerobics and computers are all free of charge and available to those who choose to participate. The staff of the Merrill Gardens Sunwest Village in Hemet are friendly, well trained, and create a homelike atmosphere. Their certified caregivers are on hand to provide full assistance to all residence that requires it. Along with various classes, and onsite caregivers, Merrill Gardens also has a full kitchen and provides daily meals and holiday feast for its residence. The cooks and servers are very polite and the food is quite good. Overall, the Merrill Gardens- Sunwest Village is a nice place to call home. They offer affordable assisted living for seniors without depriving them of their independence.

November 16, 2011

By Damian1

When my father became sick with Parkinson, my family and I were worried because nobody could take care of him. I am single, I do not have children. My mother died several years ago and I am an only child. The responsibility of taking care of my dad and get him somewhere would be a very difficult decision to make, but it was necessary. All my life I lived in Hemet, California and my friend recommended Sunwest Village. This place is special because they can take care of my dad's health. With the proper authorization from me, they are responsible for drugs and exercises that must be done by him on a daily basis. They are properly licensed and provide personalized care system by trained nurses. All therapies he needs could be done but if for some reason they do not have some in their programs, they can do some research and apply them if necessary. Besides it is a beautiful place to stay and my father is happy because they care about him very much. The staff is great people and they can be trusted and also they are very professionals.

Independent Living Reviews for Brookdale Sunwest

December 15, 2019

By D.A.

Brookdale Sunwest is perfect for my mother. The thing that sold us on Brookdale was that she could garden, because they have little plots and wood boxes. The place was neat and clean, and they had very spacious rooms. We like the affordability too. They have a movie room, a library, and I saw a couple of people in the dining room area; it wasn't packed. We also visited another community, but Brookdale Sunwest really fits Mom like a glove. The staff member who helped us during the tour was very friendly. I liked the fact that they had assisted living, and across the courtyard where they can do gardening is the independent living. They drive you to your appointments, or if they go on outings.

August 11, 2018

By Visitor111

Brookdale Sunwest is a big retirement community. They have assisted living and memory care/assisted living. As soon as you get into the memory care area it felt like home. It's decorated nicely and the staff was exceptionally friendly. We got the rest of the family down and they all saw it and they all liked it. It's clean. They have a swimming pool, a salon, they take them out twice a week on a bus trip or out to lunch, and they're always playing games with them like cards, bingo, and dominos. They try to keep them active. They have church and a pastor who comes out. It's just a better fit for Mom.

January 30, 2018

By Erika

My grandparents had their own house at Brookdale Sunwest. It was nice, and it was a very large property with many options. It seemed like a very clean community. When I would go visit, I would just drive straight to the house. I never went into the facility to see the dining hall or the main hall. They had their own personal home, which was just a 2-bedroom, 2-bath home with a full kitchen, laundry, and garage. It was small. They did have a meal plan there, and they enjoyed the food.

May 27, 2017

By charles078211

Brookdale Sunwest is OK. We've been here for about six months now. They serve three meals a day, and the food is fair. Our room is clean and fair; not good but not bad. We have a swimming pool and standard amenities, like a clubhouse. The staff is good and responds well.

March 27, 2017

By Russell000606

Brookdale Sunwest was clean and orderly, and the rooms were very nice. The activities were nice, and the people were friendly. The residents appeared happy. But dad still not make up his mind on what he wants to do.

November 19, 2016

By Raymond864777

Brookdale was excellent, but it was too expensive. It’s large with lots of activities and separate facilities for dementia. They have church services, and I liked that very much. They had a full time chef, and the food was wonderful. However, if they take you to Kaiser, they charge that $75 an hour.

December 16, 2015

By Lori116852150

Brookdale Sunwest has very friendly people. The fact that they have an independent living and an assisted living in one facility was the main reason we chose Brookdale Sunwest. The staff is extremely positive, very kind. They have lots of activities, like cards and bingo throughout the day. They have a pool. It’s a very active facility. The food is good, and the dining room is very nice. It’s perfect for an elderly person.

September 29, 2015

By Kevin20

My mother-in-law has been in Brookdale Sunwest (Formerly Emeritus at Sunwest Village) for three weeks now, and it seems to be fine. It was very nice. They had just finished remodeling the old rooms so there is new carpet, and everything had been painted. I have eaten there a few times, and they do a good job. The staff is very capable. They do have a lot of activities, and she participates to some extent. We're absolutely satisfied. It's very large. It's on 40 acres, so there's a lot of property to walk the dog.

March 21, 2015

By Doin'mybest

I lived at Sunwest Village for 18 months. During that time it was owned by Merrill Gardens, then Emeritus and now by Brookdale (the corporation that took over Emeritus.) In my experience, it did not matter who owned and operated it, as the behavior and attitudes of the long-time staff continued on the same regardless. As a result, Sunwest is the WORST place I have ever lived in my life. Rather than treating the residents as valued and respected elders who deserve excellent service, many of the staff act as if the residents are their parents or grandparents who are supposed to take care of them. Many of the staff chronically complain to residents about how overworked they are, and use that as an excuse for not doing their jobs. It is necessary to fight for every service that is supposed to be included in the monthly fee. For example, the "Villa" I moved into was infested with black widow and other types of spiders. My first week there I killed 27 black widows just in the garage! Although the spider infestation presented an obvious health hazard, I had a constant battle with staff to get our place exterminated, a service that is supposed to be provided. Getting assistance from Maintenance was also an ongoing fight, and the quality of the service was hardly worth fighting for. The Maintenance staff flooded half my "Villa" while fixing a simple leak in the toilet, because they had incorrectly turned off the water at the outside main valve! While the buildings look nice, they are old and have not been renovated since being built in the '70s so they need a lot of maintenance, but good luck getting it when you need it. The Landscaping service would mow the lawns on a regular basis but would ignore the weeds growing in the yard. I decided to let them grow just to see how bad it would get and I had weeds that were over 3 feet tall before they cut them down! After Housekeeping would come and do the "light cleaning" (my neighbor called it "a spit and a promise") I would take a wet paper towel and wipe it across the newly mopped floor and the paper towel would be filthy. While I can only write about my own experiences, other residents told me they had the same problems or worse. One thing almost all the residents appeared to agree on is that the food is terrible! It is almost all processed, in very small portions, limited variety, tastes bad and appears to be bad for you. The person I live with was having chronic extreme gas and horrible diarrhea and the doctors could not figure out why. The day he left Sunwest the problem stopped and he hasn't had a single episode since. The best advice I can give anyone about Sunwest Village is "stay away!"

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. By giving us your feedback, you are helping us to understand what we do well and what we could focus on improving. Please be assured your feedback will be reviewed and used to help better serve our residents and their families.

December 05, 2014

I liked Emeritus better than the other one I visited for the simple fact of the way they do their meals. The girl that took us around was very friendly. I liked the idea too that they had studio, one-bedroom, two-bedroom, and houses that were separate with car garages. The food was excellent. We really enjoyed that one.

April 24, 2013

By Alice5

I really liked Sunwest Village. I went there for a visit. I lived at Hemet in the past, so I was familiar with the area and comfortable with it. It was a beautiful facility. It was affordable and they gave me a reduction on the rent which was very helpful. I did not try the food but my friend who stayed there said they had good meals. There was a card room, tv room and library with computers. There were free bus trips if you want to watch movies or shop or anything you wanted to do. I saw a one bedroom apartment which had a little kitchen and a covered patio. I would suggest though for the apartments to be remodeled to have a modern look.

June 14, 2012

By Caring 4232

Primarily, the price was the deciding factor why we chose this facility. Secondly, place is nice and their meal program is really good. The staff is dedicated to what they do. I noticed that the residents seem happy and even chatted with some of them. The services and their amenities are all that we need and I think this facility is just right for my parents.

Photos of Brookdale Sunwest

Training Areas

• Memory Care Training

About Brookdale Sunwest

Amenities and Services
  • Daily assistance with bathing and dressing
  • Medication management
  • Dining assistance and special diets
  • Assistance with reminders and redirection
  • Escorts and assistance with walking
  • Emergency response call system
  • Laundry and linen service

*Rates subject to change at any time. Level of care not included.

Map of Brookdale Sunwest