57 Assisted Living Facilities near Sonoma, CA
There are 57 Assisted Living Facilities in the Sonoma area, with 4 in Sonoma and 53 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Sonoma is $3,737 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,400. Cheaper nearby regions include Kenwood with an average starting cost of $3,500.
To help you with your search, browse the 120 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Sonoma. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Sonoma 3.8 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Napa with an average rating of 4.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Sonoma, call (855) 863-8283.
4 Assisted Living Facilities in Sonoma, CA
53 Assisted Living Facilities near Sonoma, CA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Sonoma
Sonoma is a community of families and seniors who've moved out of the San Francisco Bay Area to the south, and into the heart of California's world-famous Wine Country. Home to just over 11,000 people, 28.6 percent of whom are seniors age 65 and over, the hills in and around Sonoma have 57 assisted living facilities for seniors who need help with activities of daily living. These include hygiene, personal care, taking medications and meal service.
All residential care and assisted living facilities in the state are required to be licensed from the California Department of Social Services' Community Care Licensing Division.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Sonoma
- Sonoma's climate is temperate, if a bit warm for the inland side of California's Coastal Range. Summer highs here average 90 degrees, which drops to an average of 38 degrees in winter. Sonoma gets 31.5 inches of rain in a typical year, which raises pollen counts from local wildflowers that can aggravate seniors' asthma and allergies.
- The cost of living can be high in Sonoma, where average costs across all categories can be 193 percent the national average. This is in comparison to California's cost of living, which is 169 percent of the national average. While housing in Sonoma is nearly four times the national median, healthcare here costs just 92 percent of the average nationwide.
- Sonoma's crime rate is roughly 20 percent lower than the average for cities of its size nationwide. Violent crime is especially uncommon, with rates that range as low as half or less of the average in some years.
- Sonoma County Transit runs 28 bus lines in and around Sonoma County. Seniors and disabled riders qualify for discount fares with valid ID. Dial-a-ride and assisted transport are available on request.
- The Sonoma area is home to world-class medical facilities, including those specializing in brain health and dementia care such as Sonoma Valley Hospital and St. Joseph Health, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Sonoma is a member of the AARP Network of Age-Friendly Communities, meaning that its elected leadership “has made the commitment to actively work toward making their town, city or county a great place for people of all ages,” according to AARP.
Paying for Assisted Living in Sonoma
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in California
Assisted Living costs in Sonoma start around $3,737 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Sonoma and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Sonoma
Sonoma County is one of 15 California counties where seniors who meet Medicaid eligibility requirements can get a Home and Community Based Services (HCBS). This waiver program helps pick up some of the cost of assisted living or home care, though there is an enrollment cap that limits the number of seniors who can participate.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in California page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Sonoma
Sonoma and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Sonoma, please visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Sonoma
Sonoma-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in California are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in California page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Sonoma, CA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Sonoma
Review of Sonoma Retirement Community - Happy Living by Cogir
Our tour of Sonoma Retirement Community was great. The staff was extremely friendly and very accommodating. The amenities are great for a place like that. You get everything all included. The quali... Read more
Review of Sunrise Villa Sonoma
Sunrise Villa Sonoma was very nice and open. There was a very good feeling because people were walking around happy and smiling. It felt very comfortable and my mother liked it. Coleen, the person ... Read more
Review of Sonoma Retirement Community - Happy Living by Cogir
I have been a resident of Brookdale Sonoma. I was really comfortable with it. I do graphics stuff and poetry, and they have activities to meet my needs. Physically, it was an OK place, and located ... Read more