32 Assisted Living Facilities near Petaluma, CA
There are 32 Assisted Living Facilities in the Petaluma area, with 3 in Petaluma and 29 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Petaluma is $4,550 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,450.
To help you with your search, browse the 101 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Petaluma. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Petaluma 4.4 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Kenwood with an average rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Petaluma, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Petaluma, CA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Petaluma
Petaluma, California, is a city in Sonoma County that lies in the heart of wine country just 37 miles north of San Francisco. It's home to a mid-sized population of 60,000 of which 15.6 percent are over the age of 65. This senior population may choose from three assisted living facilities within Petaluma itself and 29 in the surrounding area.
In California, communities that provide room, board and care for seniors over 60 years old are regulated by the Department of Social Services, Community Care Licensing Division (CCLD) and are referred to as Residential Care Facilities for the Elderly (RCFEs).
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Petaluma
- Seniors living on a tight budget may have challenges living in Petaluma, as the cost of living is 90.4 percent higher than the U.S. average. This is mainly due to high housing costs, but groceries and transportation are also higher than national medians. Healthcare, however, is eight points lower than the national average.
- Active seniors will appreciate Petaluma’s warm, dry summers and short, mild winters. The city averages zero inches of snowfall and 29 inches of rainfall annually. Temperatures range from highs of 82 degrees Fahrenheit in July and lows of 39 degrees in January.
- Petaluma has a wealth of arts and culture for seniors to enjoy, such as the Petaluma Creamery, Petaluma Arts Center, the Weill Hall – Green Music Center and Jack London State Historic Park. The Aqus Café offers a singles social for seniors once a month.
- Petaluma is a relatively safe place for seniors to live. The crime rate is below U.S. averages and the city is safer than 30 percent of other U.S. cities. Violent crime and property crime scored 25.1 and 23.1 respectively, out of 100 (1 being safest).
- Seniors who don’t drive can take advantage of Petaluma Transit’s reduced fare passes for bus routes around town. Petaluma People Services Center provides volunteers who will drive seniors to appointments, social activities and shopping.
- Petaluma has an array of community resources for seniors, including Senior Advocacy Services, an organization that advocates for the rights of seniors, and the County of Sonoma’s Adult and Aging Division, an organization that provides a variety of programs and services for older adults, as well as one senior center.
Paying for Assisted Living in Petaluma
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in California
Assisted Living costs in Petaluma start around $4,550 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Petaluma and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Petaluma
California does not provide financial assistance for room and board at assisted living facilities. However, seniors may apply to the Medi-Cal Assisted Living Waiver Program to help offset the cost of other services.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in California page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Petaluma
Petaluma and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Petaluma, please visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Petaluma
Petaluma-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in California are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in California page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Petaluma, CA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Petaluma
Review of Sunrise of Petaluma
We toured Sunrise of Petaluma. We took our mom and had lunch there; I would seriously consider it. They had a private room, like a dorm room, with a little refrigerator, a full bath, and a bedroom.... Read more
Review of Springfield Place
We went to Springfield Place. It was assisted living, but they did not offer as much, and you couldn't age in place there. They had bigger apartments, which I liked, but it did not feel so cramped.... Read more
Review of Sunrise of Petaluma
We toured Sunrise of Petaluma and saw that the building was bright. The rooms were also bright and clean. They have a little refrigerator and a microwave in them. There are more selections for meal... Read more