53 Assisted Living Facilities near Tujunga, CA
Also serving communities of La Crescenta, Montrose.
There are 53 Assisted Living Facilities in the Tujunga area, with 2 in Tujunga and 51 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Tujunga is $3,000 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,500. Cheaper nearby regions include Sun Valley with an average starting cost of $2,800.
To help you with your search, browse the 207 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Tujunga. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Tujunga 4.0 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Sun Valley with an average rating of 4.1 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Tujunga, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Tujunga, CA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Tujunga
Tujunga is a residential stretch of row houses and open public parks set against the sprawling floor of the San Fernando Valley, near Burbank and just north of the major Hollywood studio lots. Almost 105,000 people live in this part of Los Angeles, and a solid 15 percent of Tujunga's residents are seniors age 65 and over. To help them live as independently as possible, the area in and around Tujunga has at least 53 assisted living facilities. These sites are licensed through the California Department of Social Services' Community Care Licensing Division.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Tujunga
- The weather in Tujunga is almost always warm, and it can be very dry sometimes. Average summer highs in Tujunga reach 88 degrees, while winter lows average 41. In California's non-drought years, Tujunga gets roughly 17 inches of rain. Scrub vegetation in the Hollywood hills can put a high allergen count in the air, especially in spring and summer, which may aggravate the asthma of some seniors.
- The cost of living in Tujunga is a little more than twice the average cost of living in the United States. Healthcare is relatively inexpensive here, costing an average of just 85 percent what seniors pay elsewhere in the United States.
- Crime rates in Tujunga are generally low. All crime categories together come to roughly two-thirds the average national rate. Most of Tujunga's crime stats are the result of relatively high property crimes and theft, rather than violent crimes, which are even less common than the other categories of offense.
- Public transportation in Tujunga is provided by the vast Los Angeles Metropolitan Transit Authority (Metro) network of buses and rail lines. Seniors ride the Metro at a discount, with valid transit ID, as do mobility-impaired riders and students. Dial-a-ride and assisted taxi van services are available through the Metro, sometimes with same-day booking for Tujunga seniors.
- The Tujunga area is home to world-class medical facilities, including those specializing in brain health and dementia care such as Dignity Health - Northridge Hospital Medical Center and UCLA Health, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Los Angeles is a member of the AARP Network of Age-Friendly Communities, meaning that its elected leadership “has made the commitment to actively work toward making their town, city or county a great place for people of all ages,” according to AARP.
Paying for Assisted Living in Tujunga
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in California
Assisted Living costs in Tujunga start around $3,000 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Tujunga and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Tujunga
Seniors in Tujunga who meet the income and asset requirements necessary for Medicaid may be able to use a Home and Community Based Services (HCBS) waiver to help pay for the cost of assisted living. This program is only available to seniors in 15 California counties, including Los Angeles.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in California page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Tujunga
Tujunga and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Tujunga, please visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Tujunga
Tujunga-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in California are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in California page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Tujunga
Review of Foothill Retirement
I don’t think that Foothill Retirement is for my cousin. The people who live there were either advanced in age or in need of a lot of assistance, and he does not require any of that, so the environ... Read more
Review of Foothill Retirement
Foothill Retirement Care Home is a nice community that seems to be well run. The people there are very happy. My mom is not doing so well; she has dementia. We are not happy with her state, but the... Read more
Review of La Crescenta Chateau
La Crescenta Chateau is OK. The rooms seem to be crowded. Their dining is fine, and my uncle has not complained about the food. They are understaffed. Read more