The 5 Best Home Care Agencies for Seniors in Robstown, TX for 2024
Situated west of Corpus Christi, Robstown is a welcoming suburb with about 10,000 residents. Despite its small population size, it has a large senior community that accounts for nearly 20% of residents, which is considerably higher than the national average of 16.5%. Corpus Christi Medical Center, a high-performing hospital that’s been recognized among the nation’s best hospitals for joint replacement, orthopedic surgery and vascular surgery, is located just 5 miles away. The city supports seniors’ comfort and quality of life with its warm climate and its very low housing costs, which may enable older adults to age in place. Home care costs in this city are very competitive at $3,928 monthly. This type of care includes nonspecialized companion and personal care services. Those who need medical care at home may consider home health care.
Below we’ve compiled a comprehensive directory of every home care provider in the Robstown area – complete with services offered and reviews from families who’ve actually used the service. In addition to our in-depth provider listings, we’ve compiled resources to help seniors and their families to access all the tools they need to age in place safely and gracefully.
What you can do with Caring
Home Care Agencies in Robstown, TX
247 Personal Care - Corpus Christi TX and Surrounding Areas
226 S Enterprize Pkwy Suite #114, Corpus Christi, TX, 78405
"At 247 Personal Care our mission is to provide the best care to people in our community who need support. Kindness, an open heart, professio..."READ MORE
Paying for Home Care in Robstown, TX
The Cost of Home Care in Robstown, TX
Home care data in the Genworth 2020 Cost of Care Survey indicates that seniors in the Robstown region pay $3,928 per month for home care. This is well below the national rate of $4,481 and consistent with the state median of $3,998. In the Austin area, monthly fees are closer to the national average at $4,385. In Midland, home care costs are among the highest in the state at $4,576. Home care agencies in the McAllen area charge comparatively competitive monthly rates of $2,860.
The Cost of Home Care vs. Other Senior Care Options in Robstown, TX
While home care rates in Robstown are affordable compared to the national average, this is among the most expensive senior care options in the city. On average, home care costs $3,928 monthly. Despite offering specialized medical services, home health care rates are the same. Only nursing home residents pay higher monthly fees, with the typical monthly rate for a shared room coming in at $5,519. Assisted living facilities offer comparable care services in a residential community setting and have lower monthly care costs of $3,260. Those who want to remain in their homes and obtain more affordable care may consider adult day health care, which costs approximately $696 per month.
Home Health Care
Adult Day Health
Nursing Home Care (semiprivate room)
Note: Data for Robstown was unavailable, so data for the nearest city, Corpus Christi, was used instead.
Financial Assistance for Home Care in Robstown, TX
Given the high cost of in-home care, many people use one or more forms of financial assistance to cover the expenses. Below, we explain some of the most common sources of financial help for paying for in-home care. If none of these options are available to you, you can reach out to your Area Agency on Aging or Aging and Disability Resource Center to learn about local resources.
- Long-Term Care Insurance: Long-term care insurance covers expenses related to senior care, including in-home care. Depending on the policy type, beneficiaries may receive a cash payment to use towards long-term care or reimbursement for qualifying long-term care expenses. Note that there are limitations- typically a maximum benefit of $150 per day- and exact coverage terms vary depending on the exact policy, so always check the details.
- Medicare: Medicare does not cover in-home care because it is classified as custodial, or non-medical, care. However, some Medicare Advantage and Medicare Supplement plans, which offer expanded benefits, may cover in-home custodial care.
- Medicaid: Medicaid coverage of in-home care varies between different states because it is not a federally mandated benefit. Currently, all states cover some in-home care either through their standard Medicaid or a waiver program. The specific coverage rules are set individually by each state.
- Veterans’ Benefits: The Aid and Attendance benefit is a monthly cash payment that beneficiaries can use to pay for senior care, including in-home care services. To qualify for A&A, Veterans must already receive the VA pension and meet several additional requirements, including needing assistance with the activities of daily living. Contact the Department of Veterans Affairs to learn more.
- Reverse Mortgages: Home Equity Conversion Mortgages (HECMs) are federally insured loans that are available to homeowners age 62 and over. Reverse mortgages allow you to access a portion of your home’s equity in cash, tax free. Many seniors use reverse mortgages to finance their care expenses, including in-home care. Note that although there are no monthly payments due on reverse mortgage loans, borrowers do have to repay the loan once the last surviving homeowner passes away, moves, or sells the home.
Free & Low-Cost Home Care Resources in Robstown, TX
Older adults in Robstown can get support to live at home from various local nonprofit agencies and programs. Through the following resources, seniors can connect with affordable personal care services, find social and recreational opportunities and improve their home’s comfort and energy efficiency.
|Area Agency on Aging of the Coastal Bend
|The Area Agency on Aging of the Coastal Bend offers a range of free and low-cost services to help those aged 60 and over maintain their independence. Through its Care Coordination program, it helps meet the needs of older adults by connecting them with services in the community, and it has information, referral and assistance specialists who provide over-the-phone assistance with finding service agencies. Its benefits counselors help seniors connect with public benefits that can help cover home care costs, including Medicaid and Medicare Advantage. The agency also helps seniors obtain home-delivered and congregate meals and offers door-to-door transportation services for meal sites, medical offices and social service agency appointments.
|Nueces County Community Action Agency
|(361) 883-7201 ext. 42
|The Nueces County Community Action Agency administers a range of community services to qualifying individuals in the Robstown region, including case management, help with finding affordable housing and home repair and modification services. The organization administers the region’s weatherization program, which provides upgrades, repairs and insulation to improve a home's energy efficiency, and it also offers utility assistance to help older adults avoid disruptions in service.
|Property Tax Exemption
|Seniors in Robstown may be eligible for the over-65 property tax exemption, which can help control housing-related costs by reducing how much they pay in property taxes on their primary residence. The county also has a property tax exemption program for disabled veterans.
Determining Your Loved One’s Need for In-Home Care
Aging can be a difficult process, and loved ones may not always ask for help – often times it’s up to their family to evaluate their need for help around the house. While no two situations are exactly alike, this checklist can help you and your loved ones determine when it’s time to start the search for a home care provider.
Guidelines for Talking About In-Home Care
If you’ve determined that your loved one needs the assistance of a care provider in their home, it may be time for a difficult conversation. Handled correctly, however, this process can bring a family together and ensure that everyone’s concerns are addressed. Use this PDF as a starting point to help the conversation stay as positive and productive as possible.