Those aged 65 and older account for 16.1% of Oklahoma’s roughly 4 million residents, which means the state is home to about 637,000 seniors. The Oklahoma Department of Human Services Aging Services Division coordinates an array of programs designed to enhance the quality of life for older residents. Thanks to the Sooner State’s strict regulation of home care agencies, seniors who need assistance to age in place can have greater peace of mind. In Oklahoma, seniors can expect to pay $4,195 per month for nonmedical home care.

This guide offers more details about in-home care costs, financial assistance options in Oklahoma and free and low-cost resources available to help seniors remain at home.

The Cost of In-Home Care in Oklahoma

In-Home Care Costs in Nearby States

In-home care costs an average of $4,195 per month in Oklahoma, according to Genworth Financial’s 2019 Cost of Care Survey. This is about $100 less than the $4,290 U.S. median and on par with the cost in neighboring Missouri. The average rates for this type of senior care are somewhat lower in other surrounding states. Seniors in Arkansas pay $3,623 per month, while those in Texas pay $3,956. The average monthly cost in Kansas is $4,004, which is about $200 lower than the norm in Oklahoma.




United States Average









Cost of Other Types of Care in Oklahoma

The cost of senior care in Oklahoma varies depending on the setting and the type of care needed. Adult day care is the most affordable option available, at an average monthly cost of $1,387. Assisted living in a residential setting averages $3,518 per month. Nonmedical in-home care services cost $4,195, while home health care, which includes skilled nursing services, averages $4,242 per month. Skilled care in a nursing home is the most expensive option, with an average monthly cost of $4,867.


In-Home Care


Home Health Care


Adult Day Care


Assisted Living Facility


Nursing Home Care

The Cost of In-Home Care in Oklahoma’s Top Cities

Comparing Costs Across Oklahoma

In cities across Oklahoma, the rates charged for nonmedical home care services range from $4,004 to $4,767, which is a difference of over $750. Seniors in Lawton who need in-home assistance pay the least, while those in Enid pay the most. The cost of in-home care in Oklahoma City matches the statewide median of $4,195, and the average rate increases to $4,481 per month in Tulsa.




Oklahoma City





Financial Assistance for In-Home Care in Oklahoma

State Plan Personal Care Program

The Oklahoma state Medicaid plan, SoonerCare, offers the State Plan Personal Care program for seniors who need help to remain living independently in their own or a family member’s home. The program covers the cost of hiring a caregiver to provide assistance with activities of daily living, such as bathing, dressing and eating, as well as with meal preparation and light housekeeping. SPPC is a SoonerCare entitlement program and has no enrollment cap, so services are available to all Oklahomans who meet the eligibility guidelines.

Who Is Eligible?
To qualify for assistance through the SPCC program, Oklahoma residents aged 65 and older must need help completing activities of daily living but cannot need the level of care normally provided in an intermediate care facility or nursing home. Applicants must also meet SoonerCare’s income and asset guidelines.

How to Apply
To begin the application process, seniors can contact the Oklahoma Department of Human Services office in their county or call the toll-free program intake line at (800) 435-4711.

ADvantage Program Waiver

SoonerCare offers the ADvantage Program Waiver to give eligible individuals the opportunity to age in place at home and avoid premature nursing home admission. The waiver covers various benefits based on a participant’s assessed needs, which may include case management, homemaker and chore services, personal care and necessary home modifications.

Who Is Eligible?
Oklahoma residents aged 65 and older who require a nursing home level of care are eligible for the AP Waiver provided they meet the financial requirements to qualify for long-term care services through SoonerCare.

How to Apply
To apply for the AP Waiver, seniors can contact their county’s Department of Human Services office or call the program’s intake line at (800) 435-4711.

Program of All-Inclusive Care for the Elderly

Oklahoma’s Program of All-Inclusive Care for the Elderly provides eligible seniors with the services they need to retain their independence and continue living at home. The program combines comprehensive medical, dental, vision, nursing and prescription drug coverage with a wide range of support and social services. Each participant is assigned a case manager who coordinates the services they require, which are delivered at the local PACE center or at home. Currently, Oklahoma has PACE centers located in Tahlequah, Tulsa and Oklahoma City.

Who Is Eligible?
To qualify for PACE services, individuals must live within a center’s service area, be aged 55 and older and meet the financial guidelines of Oklahoma’s Home and Community-Based Services program. Additionally, applicants must require the level of care provided in a nursing home but be able to safely live in the community with provided assistance. Applicants who are dually eligible for Medicare and Medicaid can receive PACE services at no cost, while Medicare beneficiaries pay a monthly income-based fee.

How to Apply
Seniors can call (405) 306-5865 for more information about the program. To apply, they can contact the PACE program in their area or begin the process online.

Adult Day Services Program

The Oklahoma Department of Human Services offers the Adult Day Services Program, which covers part or all of the cost of adult day care so that eligible individuals can continue living at home or with a family member. This state-funded program provides seniors with personal care and health and recreational services on a part-time basis as an alternative to full-time nursing home or assisted living care. Based on an initial assessment, a care delivery plan is developed for each participant detailing the specific covered services required to meet their needs. Depending on their income, approved seniors may be required to pay a portion of the cost of provided services.

Who Is Eligible?
Applicants must be legal Oklahoma residents and aged 60 and older or have early-onset Alzheimer’s disease or dementia. They also must be assessed as functionally impaired but cannot require around-the-clock care. To participate, an individual must have a monthly income below the program’s current limit and cannot be enrolled in the ADvantage Program Waiver.

How To Apply
Seniors can apply for the ADS program at the state-licensed Adult Day Care center of their choice. To learn more, interested individuals can call the Oklahoma Department of Human Services’ Aging Services Division at (800) 498-7995.

More Ways to Pay for In-Home Care

While the above programs help many people finance in-home care, they don’t cover all costs for everyone. There are other ways to pay for in-home care, including out-of-pocket arrangements with siblings, annuities, reverse mortgages and private insurance. Read’s Guide to In-Home Care Costs to learn more about these alternative payment options.

Free and Low-Cost In-Home Care Resources in Oklahoma

A variety of in-home resources are available to Oklahoma residents to help them maintain their independence and age in place. These include caregiver support, in-home assistance, legal services, transportation and nutritional support.

ContactArea ServedServices Provided
National Family Caregiver Support ProgramContact your local Area Agency on AgingStatewideThe NFCSP program provides caregivers of Oklahoma residents aged 60 and older access to support groups, counseling, training and temporary respite assistance.
In-Home AssistanceContact your local Area Agency on AgingStatewideThe Older Americans Act funds in-home assistance programs that provide personal care, housekeeping, chore services and necessary home repairs to seniors in need. Services are coordinated through the state’s 11 Area Agencies on Aging and are available to residents aged 60 and older regardless of income.
Legal Aid Services of OklahomaCall (855) 488-6814 or begin the application process onlineStatewideLASO works with Area Agencies on Aging across the state to provide older residents with free legal advice and assistance. Seniors can receive help with various civil legal matters, such as elder rights, guardianship concerns and end-of-life planning.
Transportation AssistanceCall (405) 521-2281 or contact your local Area Agency on AgingStatewideAAAs throughout Oklahoma coordinate transportation services to help older Oklahoma residents who have limited or no means of transit. Rides are available to necessary destinations, such as medical appointments, grocery stores and nutrition sites.
Senior Farmers Market Nutrition ProgramCall (405) 521-4089 to be added to the waiting list.Residents of Cleveland County should call (405) 321-3200.Adair, Cherokee, Cleveland, Comanche, Johnston, Logan, Muskogee, Oklahoma, Okmulgee, ​Pottawatomie, Stephens and Tulsa counties.The SFMNP program provides low-income seniors with an opportunity to purchase fresh, locally grown fruits, vegetables and herbs. Applicants who meet the income guidelines receive an EBT card to use at participating farmers markets.
Home-Delivered MealsContact your local Area Agency on AgingStatewideThe Older Americans Act provides funding for senior nutrition programs throughout the state, which offer nutritious, home-delivered meals to seniors aged 60 and older.

In-Home Care Laws and Regulations in Oklahoma

The Home Services Division of the Oklahoma State Department of Health is responsible for licensing and regulating home care agencies in accordance with the Home Care Act. The following table provides an overview of the applicable rules and regulations.

Scope of CareOklahoma HCAs may provide various nonmedical care and support services to seniors so they can remain living at home. Home health aides can assist seniors in completing daily living activities, such as bathing, toileting, dressing, ambulation and eating. Supportive home assistants can provide companionship and standby assistance to ambulatory seniors, complete light housekeeping tasks and plan and prepare meals.
Care Plan RequirementsEach prospective HCA client must be assessed by a doctor or registered nurse to determine if the agency can provide the required services to meet the individual’s needs. A plan of care must be developed based on this assessment in consultation with the client or their representative. This plan should detail the services to be provided and their frequency. An RN must review the plan at least every six months and make necessary updates based on the client’s care needs.
Medication Management RequirementsHome health aides and supportive home assistants employed by an HCA may not administer medications to clients.
Staff Screening RequirementsDirect care staff hired by HCAs must pass criminal background and DOH nurse aide registry checks prior to working with clients. Initial and annual testing for tuberculosis also must be conducted.
Staff Training RequirementsHome health aides must complete a 75-hour state-approved training program and pass a skills and competency evaluation to gain certification and be placed on the DOH nurse aide registry. Supportive home assistants must complete RN-led, agency-based training and successfully pass a DOH-approved competency test.
Medicaid CoverageSoonerCare, the Oklahoma Medicaid program, covers the cost of in-home care services for eligible individuals through its State Plan Personal Care program and ADvantage Program Waiver.
Reporting AbuseSuspected neglect, abuse or exploitation of a vulnerable senior should be reported to Adult Protective Services. Reports can be made by contacting a local county DHS office, calling the toll-free statewide abuse hotline at (800) 522-3511 or submitting a completed form via the online portal.

Frequently Asked Questions

Does Oklahoma Medicaid Pay for in-home care?

Oklahoma Medicaid, or SoonerCare, helps eligible residents pay for in-home care through the State Plan Personal Care and ADvantage Waiver programs. Each program has distinct eligibility requirements and benefits. The SPPC program is available to all qualifying Oklahoma residents, whereas participation in the Advantage Waiver is capped, and there may be a waiting list to receive services.

Are there transportation assistance programs in Oklahoma?

The Federal Transit Administration provides funding to make transportation assistance services available to eligible Oklahomans through the state’s 11 Area Agencies on Aging. Assistance is open to residents aged 60 and older who have limited or no access to transportation for medical appointments, grocery shopping and other essential trips.

How much does in-home care cost in Oklahoma?

Nonmedical home care services have an average cost of $4,195 per month in Oklahoma, according to the 2019 Genworth Cost of Care Survey. This is about $100 less than the national median and just $47 less than the monthly average for home health care, which includes skilled nursing services.

Does Medicare pay for in-home care?

Medicare pays for limited in-home care, such as short-term or intermittent skilled nursing, home health aide and therapy services. Beneficiaries must be recovering from a hospital stay, illness, injury or surgery and be under a doctor’s care. Full-time in-home assistance with personal care, homemaker services and home-delivered meals are not covered.

What does it mean to age in place?

Aging in place means to continue living at home rather than moving to an institutional setting, such as an assisted living facility or nursing home, as a person ages. To accomplish this, a senior may need to hire a homemaker to provide assistance. They may also need to make safety and accessibility modifications to their home.

Home Care Services in Oklahoma (475)