A warm climate and a low cost of living make Georgia an excellent state for seniors. To the north, mountain ranges such as the Blue Ridge Mountains and the Appalachians provide a serene environment for hiking, while to the east, the Atlantic Ocean offers popular beaches, including Jekyll, Savannah and St. Mary’s. The state’s capital city of Atlanta is home to Centennial Olympic Park, the Atlanta History Center and Stone Mountain.

Social Security income and benefits are tax-exempt and the state provides an exemption of up to $65,000 on most other types of retirement income. Georgia is also home to top hospitals. Emory University Hospital is ranked #1 in the state and #5 in the country for adult specialties according to U.S. News and World Report.

Many active seniors in the state choose independent living, which allows them to maintain their privacy and receive support only when it’s needed. Facilities that offer independent living are typically maintenance-free and may offer everything from housekeeping to meals. The average independent living community in Georgia costs $2,275 per month.

This guide includes the cost of independent living throughout the state and the surrounding region as well as covering ways to pay for it. It also includes a list of common resources for seniors.

The Cost of Independent Living in Georgia

Note: Since there is no conclusive data on Independent Living costs, we estimated the average monthly fee using the Assisted Living costs reported in the 2021 Genworth Financial Cost of Care Survey. Independent Living usually costs 30-40% less than Assisted Living, so we subtracted 35% to get the averages shown in this guide.

The Peach State offers a sweet deal on Independent Living with an average cost that’s $627 lower than the national average. It’s also less than all but one adjacent state. Alabama is the only state with a lower cost, but at $2,277, it’s only $21 less. Of the remaining four states touching Georgia, South Carolina’s cost is higher by $50, Florida’s by $302, North Carolina’s by $309 and Tennessee’s by $370.

$2298

$2348

South Carolina

$2277

Alabama

Georgia’s cities have a broad range of Independent Living costs with a gap of nearly $1,000 between the highest and lowest. Three popular cities with costs above the state average include Athens at $2,720, Gainesville at $2,530 and the capital city of Atlanta at $2,499. On the flip side, Savannah, Macon and Warner Robins all have costs below the state average at $2,283, $1,859 and $1,788, respectively.

$2720

$1859

Macon

$1788

Warner Robins

Adult Day Health Care is less expensive than Independent Living at an average cost of $1,300 in Georgia. However, Independent Living is the lowest cost option in a residential setting. Assisted Living offers hands-on care and averages $3,535, while Nursing Home Care includes 24/7 care but at the highest cost. To save on Nursing Home Care costs, seniors can opt to share a room and pay $7,011 or pay $7,604 for a private room. Seniors can also opt to age in place and receive care at home with In-Home Care averaging $4,290 and Home Health Care at $4,385 per month.

$2298

In-Home Care

$4385

Home Health Care

$7011

Nursing Home Care (semiprivate room)

$7604

Nursing Home Care (private room)

Can You Use Medicare or Medicaid to Pay for Independent Living in Georgia?

Unfortunately, you cannot use Medicaid and Medicare to help pay the monthly fee for residing in an Independent Living community. For seniors who need help with Activities of Daily Living (ADLs), there may be financial assistance programs available to help cover the cost of care in Independent Living. For more information about financial assistance for those who need a higher level of care, read our guide to Assisted Living in Georgia.

Read on for more information about using alternative means to make Independent Living more affordable, such as retirement funds, the sale of a home, etc.

Paying for Independent Living in Georgia

Most seniors rely on retirement income to pay for independent living because most insurance companies don’t cover the costs. Some long-term care insurance plans cover the cost of home and community-based services such as housekeeping and grooming. Seniors may also choose to use reverse mortgages, veterans benefits and annuities to pay for independent living. Low-income seniors may qualify for programs offered by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, which offers public vouchers and rental assistance. However, there is generally a waiting list for these programs.

Independent Living Resources in Georgia

The following is a list of common free and low-cost resources provided to seniors throughout the state of Georgia.

Resource
Contact
Service
Many local area agencies on aging connect seniors with available programs and services where they live. Some of these programs include transportation, insurance counseling, health and nutrition, adult protective services, caregiving, community care services and elder rights and advocacy.
The Georgia ARDC provides information about long-term care and services, and it offers support to individuals and family members who are aging or live with disabilities. The organization serves all 159 counties in the state with multiple local offices. The agency can assist seniors who need to sign up to receive Medicare benefits and provides counseling on public and private benefits.
(866) 552-4464 option 4
MyGeorgiaCares is a free resource that provides insurance counseling to those who are unsure of their choices. It also connects low-income seniors who can’t afford insurance with financial assistance programs that help with health care expenses.
The Georgia Senior Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) makes it easier for low income seniors throughout the state to receive food stamp benefits.
The Georgia Department of Veterans Services helps former military members and their families receive benefits and compensation. One program pays for home and community-based services and long-term care. The department also provides housing assistance and offers health care and counseling to those in need.

COVID-19 Rules for Independent Living in Georgia

The following information is based on research done on several government websites, including dch.georgia.gov. These rules apply to Independent Living Communities and other types of senior living facilities. We’ve most recently updated this data on 2/3/2022, but since COVID-19 is a rapidly evolving pandemic, contact your local senior living facility or Area Agency on Aging for more specific and up-to-date information.

Visitation Policies

RULES FOR GEORGIA COMMUNITIES

Can I visit my relative in person if he/she wants emotional support from me?

Yes (Conditions Apply)

Can I visit my relative in person for end-of-life compassion care?

Will my loved one be required to self-quarantine after I visit him or her?

Do I need to wear PPE and/or a cloth mask if I do visit my relative in person?

Are Hairdressers and other non-medical contractors still allowed in senior living facilities?

Yes (Conditions Apply)

Does the state recommend or require that senior living facilities assist families with setting up virtual visit alternatives?

Are visitors being screened for elevated temperatures?

Are visitors being asked questions about health, travel, and potential virus contact?

Outings & Social Activities

RULES FOR GEORGIA COMMUNITIES

Are residents allowed to leave the facility for non-medical reasons?

Yes (Conditions Apply)

Are residents of senior living facilities who leave and return required to self-quarantine?

No (Conditions Apply)

Are senior living facilities required to cancel all group outings?

Are residents still eating together in the dining hall?

Are facilities still allowed to host group activities within the community?

COVID-19 Safety Measures for Staff and Residents

RULES FOR GEORGIA COMMUNITIES

Are staff members and contractors being screened for elevated temperatures?

Are staff members and contractors being tested for Coronavirus?

Yes (Conditions Apply)

Are staff members and contractors being asked questions about health, travel, and potential virus contact?

Are staff members required to regularly screen residents for coronavirus symptoms?

Are residents relied on to screen themselves and self-report potential coronavirus symptoms?

Are staff members required to take residents’ temperatures?

Are residents being tested for coronavirus?

Find Independent Living Communities in Georgia

Use the tool below to find Independent Living Communities near you – if you’d like to search in a specific city in Georgia, simply put that in the search bar below.

2018

Mount Vernon Village

475 Mount Vernon Highway NE, Atlanta, GA, 30328

A few staff members are nice. However, the manager is very rude to both residents and their families. As a former receptionist, she is not qualified to be a manager. Confidentiality is not maint … (read more)

Atria Buckhead

2848 Lenox Road Northeast, Atlanta, GA, 30324

Atria Buckhead independent living in Buckhead looked like a very nice facility. They do meals and stuff like that in their nice little dining area. They had nice spacious rooms for one or two bedrooms … (read more)

Sunrise of Huntcliff Summit I

8592 Roswell Road, Atlanta, GA, 30350

Moved in o Huntcliff Nov 2019 Just before Covid. Could not be more perfect for me. I have a 1 BR with he extra den/office. I’m using it as a dining room, I like to have company. About 1,000 sq ft. … (read more)

King’sBridge Retirement Community

3055 Briarcliff Road N.E., Atlanta, GA, 30329

King’s Bridge Retirement Community is a nice facility. It’s five stories, and the people running the place are nice. Some of the people who are there currently also lived there five years ago when my … (read more)

Corso Atlanta

3200 Howell Mill Rd., Atlanta, GA, 30327

Heartis Buckhead – Now Open!

2051 Peachtree Road, Atlanta, GA, 30309

UpsideHoM Atlanta

1000 Park Ave NE, Atlanta, GA, 30326

2013

Wesley Woods Towers Pch

1817 Clifton Rd Ne, Atlanta, GA, 30329

I live in Wesley Woods Towers and it’s a wonderful place. The staff is friendly, helpful, on the ball, and the activities are also good. I came from a terrible place and the food here is much, much be … (read more)

Overture Buckhead South 55+ Apartment Homes

658 Lindbergh Dr, Atlanta, GA, 30324

My friend just moved into Overture Buckhead South 55+ Apartment Homes. It’s a beautiful property. It’s decorated very well and it has lots of amenities for the seniors. They have a full workout gym wi … (read more)

Mount Vernon Towers

300 Johnson Ferry Rd NE, Atlanta, GA, 30328

I’ve had relatives living at MVT since 1988 and could not love the place more. There is nothing like it in North Atlanta where you rent or own your unit. The units are the largest I’ve ever seen and a … (read more)

Renaissance on Peachtree

3755 Peachtree Road Northeast, Atlanta, GA, 30319

At Renaissance on Peachtree, we honor the dedication of family caregivers. We welcome and encourage family members into our educational groups and seminars, and to be involved in individual care plans … (read more)

Wesley Woods Retirement Home Community

1825 Clifton Road, Northeast, Atlanta, GA, 30329

My father has a one-bedroom apartment at Wesley Woods Towers. They offer cleaning services and laundry, and you can get different levels of care. They have different floor plans. They have a cafeteria … (read more)

Big Bethel

500 Richard Allen Boulevard SW, Atlanta, GA, 30331

I’m currently at Big Bethel. We’re doing OK right now. For our protection, I think the staff is doing a good job in that department. They’re trying to keep us safe from COVID. The staff is working har … (read more)

The Zaban Tower

2911 Pharr Court South, NW, Atlanta, GA, 30305

2021

Holiday The Regency House

341 Winn Way, Decatur, GA, 30030

I toured Holiday The Regency House. I was impressed and I liked it. The grounds were well kept. The curb appeal was excellent. Beautiful buildings, beautiful grounds. When I walked in the door, the st … (read more)

Hammond Glen Retirement Community

335 Hammond Drive, Sandy Springs, GA, 30328

We visited Hammond Glen Retirement Community, and our experience was outstanding. The staff was very impressive and very professional. It was probably the nicest we’ve seen, it was fresh, clean, and d … (read more)