The Prairie State has a rich array of attractions for seniors who are moving to an independent living facility or continuing care retirement community. The state includes nearly 58,000 square miles of farms, forests and delicate ecosystems, ranging from the shores of Lake Michigan to the Shawnee National Forest in the southern tip of the state. The state’s 11 metropolitan areas give residents access to world-class shopping, cultural attractions and medical care. Although residents enjoy a high quality of life, the cost of living is slightly lower than the national average, which benefits retirees.

Illinois is home to 12.6 million residents, including 2 million seniors aged 65 and older. Adults who are active and independent but don’t want to contend with household maintenance and other responsibilities can transition to independent living. The average cost is $2,974 per month, although costs can vary, depending on the community and the type of apartment selected.

Because independent living is typically provided within a larger retirement community, residents can add additional services as their needs change. This guide explores average independent living costs in Illinois and neighboring states. It also includes information about payment options and details about statewide programs that help seniors plan for the future.

The Cost of Independent Living in Illinois

Note: No authoritative average cost information exists for Independent Living in the United States; that said, it usually costs about 30% to 40% less than Assisted Living. In the following breakdowns, we’ve determined Independent Living costs by subtracting 35% from the Assisted Living costs reported by the Genworth Financial 2021 Cost of Care Survey

Illinois’ monthly costs for Independent Living, $2,917, are almost perfectly in line with the national average of $2,925 per month. Most of Illinois’ bordering states are also right in the same price range. Wisconsin’s monthly prices average $2,990, and Iowa’s costs are also within $100 of Illinois’ at $2,838. Indiana’s prices are just a notch lower at $2,784. The area outlier is Missouri, which borders Illinois to the southwest and has considerably lower Independent Living costs at an estimated $1,950 per month.

$2917

$2838

Iowa

$1950

Missouri

Within Illinois proper, seniors can expect to find more expensive prices in the northeastern and central parts of the state. The state’s highest costs are in Rockford at $3,412; nearby Chicago’s costs are slightly lower at $3,136. State capital Springfield’s estimated costs come in at $3,321, which is fairly close to Bloomington’s costs of $3,354 a month. The lowest Independent Living costs in the state, $2,291 per month, are far to the south in Carbondale near the Illinois/Missouri border.

$2291

$3354

Bloomington

$3321

Springfield

At $2,917, the monthly costs of Independent Living in Illinois are relatively low compared to those of other long-term-care options. Adult Day Care is cheapest at $1,885, but it doesn’t cover nights and weekends; therefore, it may not fit the needs of some seniors. Prices jump significantly for Assisted Living, which averages $4,488 a month, and go up again for Homemaker or Home Health Aide services, both of which average $5,339 a month. Nursing Homes are the most expensive options; a semiprivate room runs approximately $6,266 a month and a private room costs roughly $7,156.

$2917

Adult Day Health Care

$4488

Assisted Living Facility

$6266

Nursing Home (semiprivate room)

$7156

Nursing Home (private room)

Can You Use Medicare or Medicaid to Pay for Independent Living in Illinois?

Unfortunately, you cannot use Medicaid and Medicare to help pay the monthly fee for residing in an Independent Living community. For seniors who need help with Activities of Daily Living (ADLs), there may be financial assistance programs available to help cover the cost of care in Independent Living. For more information about financial assistance for those who need a higher level of care, read our guide to Assisted Living in Illinois.

Read on for more information about using alternative means to make Independent Living more affordable, such as retirement funds, the sale of a home, etc.

Independent Living Resources in Illinois

Illinois provides a variety of free services to meet seniors’ current needs and help them plan for the future. The following agencies can provide more information about local, state and federal benefits that are available in Illinois.

Resource
Contact
Service
The Illinois Department on Aging administers programs that help older adults live safely and independently. It offers senior employment opportunities, nutritional benefits and in-home care. Seniors can request a personalized screening to assess their long-term care needs and see which programs they qualify for. Seniors and their caregivers can learn more about these programs by calling the state's Senior Helpline.
Illinois has 13 Area Agencies on Aging that serve seniors, disabled adults and family caregivers in Chicago and 12 multicounty regions. These nonprofit organizations work hand in hand with the government to distribute funding, administer benefits and plan for the area's future needs. They can provide information about long-term care, independent living, senior centers, daytime programming and government benefits that can help with these expenses.
SHIP is a one-stop shop for information about Medicare, Medicaid, prescription drug benefits and long-term care insurance. This program provides educational guides, comprehensive plan comparisons and information about financial assistance. Seniors can call the state's Senior Helpline or contact a volunteer counselor in their county to request more information.
The long-term care ombudsman is an impartial advocate who represents individuals who live in assisted living communities and other health care facilities. It advises residents on their rights and serves as a mediator if disputes arise. Ombudsmen can also educate seniors and their families about long-term care options to help them select the best option for their needs. A directory of regional advocates is available online.
Senior Corps is a nationwide program sponsored by the Corporation for National and Community Service. It unites nearly 500,000 Illinois residents aged 55 and older who contribute more than 100 million hours of service annually. The Retired Senior Volunteer Program matches seniors with volunteer opportunities in their community. The Foster Grandparent Program allows seniors to serve as mentors and role models for local youngsters, and the Senior Companion Program helps older adults who are homebound.
The Department of Veterans' Affairs operates 84 county-level offices staffed by full- and part-time veterans service officers. These specially trained advocates help current and former service members and their families access government benefits and services, including VA health care, transportation, tax breaks and financial assistance in the form of pensions and disability supplements.

COVID-19 Rules for Independent Living in Illinois

The following information is based on research done on several government websites, including dph.illinois.gov. These rules apply to Independent Living Communities and other types of senior living facilities. We’ve most recently updated this data on 2/7/2022, but since COVID-19 is a rapidly evolving pandemic, contact your local senior living facility or Area Agency on Aging for more specific and up-to-date information.

Visitation Policies

Rules for Illinois Communities

Are loved ones allowed to visit to provide emotional support?

Yes (Conditions Apply)

Are relatives allowed to visit for end-of-life care?

Are residents required to quarantine after visiting with a loved one?

No (Conditions Apply)

Are visitors required to wear PPE (including masks) in order to visit residents?

Are non-medical contractors (such as hairdressers and entertainers) allowed in senior living facilities?

Yes (Conditions Apply)

Does the state recommend or require that senior living facilities assist families with setting up virtual visit alternatives?

*Not Applicable

Are visitors checked for elevated temperatures?

Are visitors required to answer questions about health, travel, and potential virus contact?

*Note: This information was not available for this state, contact your local area agency on aging or senior living facility for more information.

Outings & Social Activities

RULES FOR ILLINOIS COMMUNITIES

Are residents allowed to leave the facility for non-medical reasons?

Are residents of senior living facilities who leave and return required to self-quarantine?

No (Conditions Apply)

Are senior living facilities required to cancel all group outings?

Are residents still eating together in the dining hall?

Yes (Conditions Apply)

Are facilities still allowed to host group activities within the community?

COVID-19 Safety Measures for Staff and Residents

RULES FOR ILLINOIS COMMUNITIES

Are staff members and contractors being screened for elevated temperatures?

Are staff members and contractors being tested for Coronavirus?

Yes (Conditions Apply)

Are staff members and contractors being asked questions about health, travel, and potential virus contact?

Are staff members required to regularly screen residents for coronavirus symptoms?

Are residents relied on to screen themselves and self-report potential coronavirus symptoms?

Are staff members required to take residents’ temperatures?

Are residents being tested for coronavirus?

Find Independent Living Communities in Illinois

Use the tool below to find Independent Living Communities near you – if you’d like to search in a specific city in Illinois, simply put that in the search bar below.

2017, 2018, 2022

The Breakers at Edgewater Beach

5333 North Sheridan Road, Chicago, IL, 60640

We toured The Breakers at Edgewater Beach, and it was very nice. Eric was wonderful. He answered all the questions we had and spent a lot of time with us, which we appreciated. It’s a facility that we … (read more)

2015

Brookdale Lake View

3121 North Sheridan, Chicago, IL, 60657

A NOTE OF RECOGNITION & APPRECIATION It is now five days after the roll out of Brookdale Vaccination Project. A sense of well-being permeates our community. This no doubt is a result of the vac … (read more)

Brookdale Lake Shore Drive

2960 North Lake Shore Drive, Chicago, IL, 60657

I’m in independent living at Brookdale Lake Shore Drive and almost everyone is independent here. I’m very happy and satisfied with everything. They’ve been doing a lot of remodeling because they had w … (read more)

Mercy Circle

465 N Park Dr, Chicago, IL, 60611

2015, 2016

Autumn Green at Midway Village

6700 S. Keating, Chicago, IL, 60629

We went to Autumn Green at Midway Village. They showed us a lot of the features of the place. We liked it. The only thing is we are thinking of relocating to a warmer area. The staff is very efficient … (read more)

2016

Autumn Green at Wright Campus

4239 N. Oak Park Ave., Chicago, IL, 60634

Autumn Green at Wright Campus is located in a peaceful area of Chicago, Illinois, a few minutes away from Edgebrook Golf Course, Harlem Irving Plaza and the Kennedy Expressway. Residents note the frie … (read more)

2018

Senior Suites of Garfield Ridge

5839 S. Harlem Ave, Chicago, IL, 60638

I wanted my cousin to be in the Senior Suites of Garfield Ridge. We did an in-person tour there. I liked the idea that it has walk-in showers with grab bars, they offer light housekeeping, they offer … (read more)

The Clare

55 East Pearson St., Chicago, IL, 60611

I visited The Clare recently. I have a sister living there and I was there after chemotherapy bouts in both skilled nursing and assisted living. We now have an independent living unit there. It is qui … (read more)

Senior Suites of Auburn Gresham

1050 West 79th Street, Chicago, IL, 60620

I’ve seen the outside of Senior Suites of Auburn Gresham. I’ve never seen the inside. The staff was polite, friendly, helpful, and informative. It was very clean, very quiet, and very kept. The ground … (read more)

Senior Suites of Marquette Village

7430 S. Rockwell Street, Chicago, IL, 60629

I visited Senior Suites of Marquette Village in September this year. The community was very quiet and because of the pandemic, there wasn’t a lot of people that I encountered except the staff, the man … (read more)

Senior Suites of Jefferson Park

5400 N. Northwest Hwy, Chicago, IL, 60630

Senior Suites of Jefferson Park was very nice. The woman was very accommodating and showed me an apartment that I loved. I talked to the residents, who were all very nice and very friendly and liked i … (read more)

Senior Suites of South Shore

2355 East 67th Street, Chicago, IL, 60649

My aunt moved into Senior Suites of South Shore. We chose it because it was the only one that came up with an available 1-bedroom. The staff members are nice, and taking care of the people there. She … (read more)

Montclare Senior Residences of Galewood

6650 West Belden Avenue, Chicago, IL, 60707

I toured Montclare Senior Residences of Galewood, and it’s actually one that I am trying to move into. They had a good and nice facility. It’s in a nice neighborhood with mostly houses around there. … (read more)

Senior Suites of Washington Heights

848 W. 103rd Street, Chicago, IL, 60643

I found the Senior Suites of Washington Heights for my mother, and there’s a wait list. I went to look at it yesterday. They have a common room on each floor where they can read books, play music, and … (read more)

Senior Suites of Midway Village

6800 South Keating Ave., Chicago, IL, 60629

I liked Senior Suites of Midway Village, it was nice. The parking was free, and the rooms were large. They have a guest lounge. The residents that I saw there were very helpful. The place was clean, a … (read more)

Senior Suites of Chatham

8300 S. Cottage Grove, Chicago, IL, 60619

I thought this place was GREAT for many reasons. It was very clean and the staff was amazingly welcoming. Ms. Lashaunda specifically has been GREAT!!! I love how they are very concerned and engage … (read more)