In 2021, Forbes ranked Charlotte as the fourth most popular retirement city in the United States, noting the city’s moderate climate, good air quality and excellent health care options. Seniors over the age of 60 make up 16% of Charlotte’s 874,579 residents, and North Carolina’s retiree-friendly tax regulations make the city an affordable option for retirement.

When seniors find they need help with daily care and living, including housekeeping and transportation, assisted living provides a supportive lifestyle. Residents may live in their own apartments or rooms and have access to social activities as well as services such as personal care and medication management. Assisted living options are for seniors who don’t need the 24-hour medical care provided in nursing homes. The monthly cost for assisted living in Charlotte averages $4,400, which is $390 higher than the North Carolina average of $4,010.

This guide provides information about Charlotte’s assisted living options, including average monthly care costs and the advantages and disadvantages of retiring in the city. A list of free local resources for seniors is included at the end.

Directory of Assisted Living Facilities in Charlotte, NC

2014

Brookdale Carriage Club Providence

5804 Old Providence Road, Charlotte, NC, 28226

I was not very impressed with Brookdale Carriage Club Providence, especially the kitchen, because it was old. The refrigerator was small and not convenient to me because the freezer was low. The apart … (read more)

2013, 2015, 2016

Brookdale South Charlotte

5515 Rea Road, Charlotte, NC, 28226

I toured Brookdale South Charlotte for my mom, and it was nice. The staff seemed very nice and caring, and the community was clean and nice. I liked it. It had a nice courtyard. My mom loves to garden … (read more)

Brookdale Charlotte East

6053 Wilora Lake Rd., Charlotte, NC, 28212

Brookdale Charlotte East is located in Charlotte, North Carolina, just a few minutes away from Charles T. Meyers Golf Course, Renaissance Park and Charlotte Douglas International Airport. Loved ones g … (read more)

The Little Flower Assisted Living

8700 Lawyers Road, Charlotte, NC, 28227

I went to The Little Flower Assisted Living. It was really nice, we really liked it. Everybody was very friendly. It was definitely one of the best ones I’ve toured. The staff was great. The room was … (read more)

Sunrise on Providence

5114 Providence Road, Charlotte, NC, 28226

My aunt is at Sunrise on Providence’s assisted living. It’s very nice, very clean, with no bad smells, and everyone is very friendly and very good to my aunt so she likes it there. Her room is very ni … (read more)

Brighton Gardens of Charlotte

6000 Park South Drive, Charlotte, NC, 28210

My husband was a resident of Brighton Gardens of Charlotte. When he first entered it, it was very nice, and he was well taken care of. The food was much better than where he had been, which was rehab. … (read more)

The Post at Providence

4416 Esherwood Lane, Charlotte, NC, 28270

2012

The Pines on Carmel

5820 Carmel Rd, Charlotte, NC, 28226

The Pines on Carmel was great. It was clean. It was the perfect layout. I loved the facility. I just have to figure out help with the financing, but the facility itself was great. The people were frie … (read more)

CoHomes Boutique Senior Living

11308 Harrowfield Rd, Charlotte, NC, 28226

We chose CoHomes for my mother. They have CNAs caregivers there. It is small. They only have a maximum of six people at one time. I would call it a boutique home, warm, and inviting. They are taken ve … (read more)

Senior Retreat at Park Crossing

10408 Avondale Avenue, Charlotte, NC, 28210

My mom moved into Senior Retreat at Park Crossing a week ago. It is a single residence, a very nice neighborhood, and close to my family members. But she also is the sixth lady that lives in the home, … (read more)

Senior Retreat At Stonehaven

6400 Burlwood Rd, Charlotte, NC, 28211

Excellent Staff and beautiful building and grounds!!! Meals were great and is located in a great neighborhood near South Park Mall.

Blissful Living Senior Care

8901 Robinson Church Road, Charlotte, NC, 28215

TerraBella Little Avenue

7745 Little Avenue, Charlotte, NC, 28226

It was a small, clean, and a quiet community. It had an activity room, and it had outside entertainment that they bring in from time to time. The residents are also able to go outside as long as they … (read more)

Charter Senior Living of Charlotte

3610 Randolph Road, Charlotte, NC, 28211

We toured Charter Senior Living of Charlotte. The staff did the best they could for the tour. It was the maintenance man that toured us because the administrator was not on duty. They were much better … (read more)

Lakeside Place, Inc.

7725 Linda Lake Drive, Charlotte, NC, 28215

2016

Summit Place of Southpark

2101 Runnymede Ln, Charlotte, NC, 28209

My sister is at Summit Place of South Park. They’re very friendly. They seem to be very concerned about her care. My sister likes her room. My sister seems to like the food, too. She has only been th … (read more)

Aldersgate

3800 Shamrock Drive, Charlotte, NC, 28215

My grandfather was in Aldersgate; they went all the way to help my him, and I appreciated that. The staff was nice and caring. They had different events and activities like bingo, they had a little ga … (read more)

The Laurels & The Haven in Highland Creek

6101 Clarke Creek Parkway, Charlotte, NC, 28269

The Laurels & The Haven in Highland Creek is located in Charlotte, North Carolina, near the Clarke Creek pool and close to shopping centers and churches. The Laurels provides studios and one- or t … (read more)

Legacy Heights Senior Living Community

11230 Ballantyne Trace Court, Charlotte, NC, 28277

We came into Legacy with high hopes. Facility needs some care, but we could live with that. They are severely understaffed, most of the previous staff have left, lots of temp aides, many who are not h … (read more)

2016

Wickshire Steele Creek

13600 S. Tryon Street, Charlotte, NC, 28278

I visited, and the establishment was very, very clean. The people were very knowledgeable and very professional, and I appreciated the way that I was treated as I went on the tour. The room was a good … (read more)

COVID-19 Rules for Assisted Living in Charlotte

Since most COVID-19 rules for Assisted Living Communities and other Senior Living Facilities are set at the state level, you can view the specific rules for your state on our Guide to Assisted Living in North Carolina. Keep in mind that every community has specific policies that they put in place to protect their residents, so you should contact your local community for more information. Additionally, you can contact your local Area Agency on Aging to learn more – find contact information here.

What To Consider About Assisted Living in Charlotte

The North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services oversees all assisted living facilities and regulates facility licensing. The office is responsible for performing regular, unannounced inspections to ensure all state rules and regulations are upheld.

Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Charlotte

• Charlotte offers a relatively warm climate for seniors who enjoy being outdoors, with 218 days of sunshine, barely two inches of snow a year and temperatures reaching 90 degrees for 41 days between May and September. The average winter low temperature is 30 degrees. Charlotte receives an average of 43 inches of rain per year, five inches more than the U.S. average.
  • North Carolina is a senior retiree tax-friendly state with income tax exemptions for all Social Security retirement benefits, allowing seniors to keep more of their retirement income. All other retirement income is taxed at a fixed rate of 5.25%.
  • Charlotte has a cost of living index of 98.9 compared to the U.S. average of 100. The city’s cost of living is higher than the state index of 90.6, with groceries costing slightly more than the state average, but health care costs are lower than the state average, with an index of 100 versus 107.5 for the state.
  • Charlotte’s crime rates are higher than U.S. averages. On a scale of 1 to 100, with 100 being the worst, Charlotte’s violent crime rate is 34.3 versus the U.S. average of 22.7, and property crime is 53.6 compared to the U.S. average of 35.4. However, assisted living facilities offer 24/7 security, providing seniors with a safe living environment.
  • Seniors have access to several world-class hospitals located in Charlotte, including the Atrium Health-Carolinas Medical Center and the Novant Health System. Atrium Health was voted the Best Regional Hospital in Charlotte by U.S. News & World Report, and Novant Health System is nationally recognized by the Joint Commission as a certified quality medical facility.
  • There’s no shortage of fine dining establishments and shopping malls in Charlotte, and for seniors who enjoy golf, the Wells Fargo Championship comes to Charlotte every year as part of the PGA Tour.

Paying for Assisted Living in Charlotte

The Genworth Cost of Care Survey reports an average monthly cost of $4,400 for assisted living in Charlotte compared to the state average of $4,010. These costs are fairly close to the national median cost of $4,500 monthly.

The Cost of Assisted Living in Nearby Cities

Charlotte is among the more expensive North Carolina cities for assisted living. Fayetteville has a much lower average of $3,000 a month for assisted living. The most expensive assisted living in North Carolina is Raleigh with a monthly average of $5,388, and for seniors on a limited budget, Goldsboro is an urban city southeast of Raleigh with the lowest cost of $2,700.

$4400

Raleigh

$2700

Goldsboro

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

Seniors in Charlotte have additional long-term care options depending on their needs. Adult day health care is appropriate for seniors who only need weekday care and supervision, averaging $1,192 per month. For seniors who can stay at home, homemaker services are available at $4,668 monthly. Home health aides are available to offer the same services as a homemaker with some medical assistance included for $4,767. If a higher level of medical care is needed, nursing homes in Charlotte average $7,756 for a semiprivate room and $8,608 for a private room.

$4668

Adult Day Health Care

$4400

Assisted Living Facility

$7756

Nursing Home Facility (semiprivate room)

$8608

Nursing Home Facility (private room)

Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Charlotte

Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in North Carolina page.

Paying for Assisted Living Facilities in North Carolina

More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living

• Veterans Benefits
  • Life Insurance Policy
  • Long-term Care Insurance
  • Reverse Mortgage

For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in North Carolina page.

Free Assisted Living Resources in Charlotte

Charlotte offers seniors numerous free resources, including recreational activities, classes, legal advice, exercise, wellness and the services of the local ombudsman.

Resource

Contact

Service

The Charlotte Park and Recreation Department offers several Senior Centers located in Mecklenburg County. Classes include fitness, educational seminars and arts and culture. Computer labs and full-sized gymnasiums with allotted times for seniors to engage in pickleball, basketball and other sports are available in most of the centers. Several centers also have a pool and walking tracks. Seniors can join their peers for a lively game of bingo or try their hand at canasta.

Workshops are offered to seniors 60 and older with the goal of promoting healthy living to reduce disease and disability as they age. All workshops are facilitated by two trained leaders and help participants learn skills that will help them manage chronic health conditions. Topics include diabetes, medication management, healthy eating, exercise, making informed treatment decisions and dealing with frustration, fatigue, pain and isolation. All sessions are two and a half hours long.

The ombudsmen advocate for seniors who reside in long-term care communities. Volunteers aim to resolve grievances between residents, their families and facilities.

Ombudsmen answer questions about long-term care for seniors, offer help with long-term care community selection, provide information about Medicaid and Medicare and educate residents about their rights.

Adults who qualify for Medicaid transportation are provided free bus service to and from medical appointments. Other rides are available at low fares for seniors.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Charlotte

Charlotte-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in North Carolina are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in North Carolina page for more information about these laws.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in North Carolina