Known for its many culinary contributions, Buffalo is a western New York city with a sizable contingent of elders: Over 12% of Buffalo’s 255,284 residents are seniors 65 years and older. Among their options for health care are the Buffalo General Medical Center and Mercy Hospital of Buffalo.

Buffalo’s seniors pay, on average, $12,669 per month for a semiprivate room in a nursing home, according to the Genworth 2020 Cost of Care Survey. That is a markedly higher rate than the corresponding national average, which is $7,756 per month. Nursing homes are typically more expensive than other senior living arrangements because they deliver high levels of assistance. Help is available day and night, and professionals such as licensed nurses, doctors and therapists see to residents’ needs regularly. Seniors who can manage their day-to-day lives without 24/7 oversight may instead wish to consider home health care or assisted living, which usually cost substantially less.

This guide’s next segment compares the cost of different senior living options. Then, the guide concludes with a list of Buffalo-area senior-focused resources.

Directory of Nursing Homes in Buffalo, NY

Buffalo Center for Rehabilitation and Nursing

1014 Delaware Avenue, Buffalo, NY, 14209

Make sure you double check your insurance before you even consider this place. Make sure that all your clothes are labeled with your name BEFORE you send them down to be washed. DON’T RELY ON LAUNDR … (read more)

Ellicott Center for Rehabilitation and Nursing

200 7th Street, Buffalo, NY, 14201

Loved therapy and Social work my mom was not happy she had to stay for a couple extra weeks but she is back to her old self and so happy. Thank you Cora and Ian!

Terrace View

462 Grider Street, Buffalo, NY, 14215

My mother stayed at Terrace View for 3 weeks for rehab. It was nice. The people, the workers are supportive and they kept me updated, they always called. I did not visit because of Covid and it was a … (read more)

Emerald North Nursing And Rehabilitation Center

1205 Delaware Avenue, Buffalo, NY, 14209

Hawthorn Health Multicare Center is phenomenal! Everybody there are nice and polite. And I just talked to their physical therapist, they are always positive about everything! Pushing always their pat … (read more)

Ridge View Manor, L L C

300 Dorrance Avenue , Buffalo, NY, 14220

This is the most awful place I have ever seen. I went to visit a family member last night and he needed new bandages that he had bled threw and I was told no nurses on duty to help.I asked the one guy … (read more)

Humboldt House

64 Hager Street, Buffalo, NY, 14208

My mother was a resident at this facility. I visited her whenever I was in Buffalo. (Two/three times a year). Whenever I came I had to overcome the smell of urine. The floor was dirty & her shee … (read more)

Grace Manor Health Care Facility

10 SYMPHONY CIRCLE, Buffalo, NY, 14201

Elderwood at Cheektowaga

225 Bennett Rd, Buffalo, NY, 14227

Autumn View Health Care Facility

4650 Southwestern Blvd, Hamburg, NY, 14075

As with a review I read I agree with the unprofessional attitude of administrative staff to nurses. My mother went in for rehab, she was not provided the rehab promised on admission, they were not ca … (read more)

GreenField Continuing Care Community

5949 BROADWAY, Lancaster, NY, 14086

I went to Greenfield Continuing Care Community for rehab. It had PT and OT, and so I had 2 weeks of both. I’m home and doing well. I had a good experience. They were good to me, and the PT there was … (read more)

2013

Elderwood Assisted Living at Cheektowaga

225 Bennet Road, Cheektowaga, NY, 14227

I went to the skilled nursing and also the patio homes at Elderwood Assisted Living at Cheektowaga. The nursing facility was very clean. The staff was very nice. My cousin was in there. They were very … (read more)

Mercy Hospital Skilled Nursing Facility

55 Melroy Ave, Lackawanna, NY, 14218

Mercy Nursing Home at OLV (Mercy Hospital Skilled Nursing Facility) had excellent staff and facilities. My mom’s room was spacious, and she stayed there for two weeks. The bathroom was shared, and she … (read more)

Fox Run at Oak Park

ONE FOX RUN LANE, Orchard Park, NY, 14127

Elderwood at Grand Island

2850 Grand Island Boulevard, Grand Island, NY, 14072

Elderwood at Grand Island was very welcoming and very pretty, and the atmosphere was very clean. It was like walking into a hotel. The staff was very nice and trained very well. They were doing physic … (read more)

OLV Senior Neighborhood

55 Melroy Ave, Lackawanna, NY, 14218

I believe that this facility offers everything possible in human comforts that is available in a senior nursing home. They offer individual, private rooms with a fllatscreen TV and half doors for res … (read more)

Harris Hill Nursing Facility L L C

2699 Wehrle Drive , Williamsville, NY, 14221

My dad is in Harris Hill Nursing Facility. I would describe it as really open and really clean. Everyone there was really friendly. All of their visitation is in the lobby or outside on the patio. The … (read more)

Canterbury Woods

705 Renaissance Drive, Williamsville, NY, 14221

Independent living is fine until your family member needs help then they don’t get help, unless you pay more. Skilled nursing is understaffed. Food is terrible. Nurses don’t answer call button … (read more)

Nursing Home Costs in Buffalo, New York

On a monthly basis, Buffalo’s nursing homes charge an average of $12,669 for semiprivate rooms and $13,231 for private rooms.

The Cost of Nursing Home Care in Nearby Cities

Sticking with monthly average semiprivate room rates, Buffalo is nearly $5,000 more expensive than the average American city. It is also $350 more expensive than its home state of New York on average.

Turning to nearby cities, Ithaca, with its average of $9,913, is a somewhat more affordable option than Buffalo. Elmira, meanwhile, is $882 cheaper than Buffalo, while Rochester is $289 less expensive. Finally, Syracuse, at $12,890 per month, is pricier than Buffalo.

$12669

Ithaca

$12890

Syracuse

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

Seniors and their loved ones may also find data on the costs of other living setups helpful. In Buffalo, the least expensive arrangement is adult day care, which has a median price of $1,192 per month. Next are assisted living facilities and their $4,565 average rate. Home care and home health care providers typically charge around $4,767 and $4,957 per month, respectively. Finally, to reside in a nursing home, the average Buffalo resident pays $12,669 per month for a semiprivate room and $13,231 for a private one.

$4767

Adult day care

$4565

Assisted living

$12669

Nursing home (semiprivate room)

$13231

Nursing home (private room)

Financial Assistance for Nursing Home Care in Buffalo, New York

Free Resources for Seniors in Buffalo, New York

As seniors grow older, they can tap into resources such as those shown below. Some of their services focus on extending the period of time during which living at home is viable for older adults, thereby delaying or preventing transitions to more intensive levels of care. For those who do need to transition, other services are of use.

ResourceContact Service
Department of Senior Services of Erie County(716) 858-8526
Among other offerings, the Department of Senior Services runs the Going Places transportation program, which takes seniors to non-emergency medical appointments and destinations such as banks, grocery stores and social outings. It also conducts the Health Insurance Information, Counseling and Assistance Program, whose counselors answer seniors’ questions on Medicare and related topics, including long-term care insurance.
Long Term Care Ombudsman Program(855) 582-6769
The Ombudsman Program supports long-term care residents by advocating on their behalf and conducting investigations to resolve complaints. Mediation is also available from the program, as is education on long-term care topics. Additionally, when the situation calls for it, the Ombudsman Program’s representatives refer clients to additional organizations for help.
FeedMore WNY(716) 822-2002
FeedMore WNY runs a home-delivered meals service, which provides both nutrition and companionship. It delivers two meals per day, covering lunch and dinner. A contribution of $7 per day is requested but is not required. For eligibility, individuals must be 60 years of age or older and unable to meet their nutritional needs on their own. Terminally ill or severely disabled individuals younger than 60 may also be eligible.
Catholic Charities of Buffalo(716) 856-4494Catholic Charities’ senior-focused services include the Telephone Assurance Program, whose volunteers make wellness-checkup calls to homebound adults otherwise at risk of isolation. It also runs Project HOPE, which helps seniors with mental health diagnoses gain access to entitlements. Additionally, Project HOPE provides guidance for their family members and caregivers. Seniors must be 60 years of age or older to qualify.
People Inc.(716) 817-7400
People Inc. assists seniors and caregivers with varying needs. Its respite services are free for certain applicants. Additionally, its volunteer Senior Companions provide help with household tasks and errands. For long-term care residents, People Inc. provides no-charge problem resolution and advocacy services.