119 Assisted Living Facilities near Minneapolis, MN
With an average cost of $4,653 in Minneapolis, it’s often difficult to find assisted living communities that provide high-quality care at an affordable price. At Caring.com, our mission is to make this process as smooth and painless as possible, and we’ve helped many families along the way.
This guide provides everything you need to quickly compare communities and narrow your search, including 65 unique reviews from residents and our comprehensive database that gives pricing, amenity information, photos and more on the 23 facilities in Minneapolis.
23 Assisted Living Facilities in Minneapolis, MN
96 Assisted Living Facilities near Minneapolis, MN
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Minneapolis
Minneapolis, Minnesota, is known as the home of the largest skyway system in the world. Minneapolis is also home to more than 30,000 seniors, some of whom may require the services of an assisted living facility. To care for these seniors, Minneapolis has 22 assisted living facilities with another 92 located nearby in neighboring communities.
The state of Minnesota doesn't license assisted living as a distinct category and instead requires that they register annually with the Department of Health as housing with services and a licensed home care agency.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Minneapolis
- The city of Minneapolis is a member of the AARP Network of Age-Friendly Communities, meaning that its elected leadership “has made the commitment to actively work toward making their town, city or county a great place for people of all ages,” according to AARP.
- Minnesota is not tax-friendly toward seniors. Both pensions and retirement savings account income are fully taxed, and social security benefits are partially taxed. Seniors might find that their healthcare dollars don't stretch as far in Minneapolis.
- Minneapolis' cost of living is 116.4, slightly higher than the national average of 100. Although this higher cost of living is unlikely to affect seniors living in care, it could drive up facility costs in the area.
- Minneapolis is known for its harsh winters with lows dipping down to a chilly eight degrees and 54 inches of snow annually, almost 30 more inches than the national average of 26 inches. Seniors who don't like snowy weather may not like living in Minneapolis.
- Minneapolis has violent crime rates of 52.8 and property crime rates of 63.3, both significantly higher than the national averages of 22.7 and 35.4, respectively. Concerned families might want to ask staff about security measures to keep residents safe.
- The air quality in Minneapolis has a rank of 20 on a scale where 100 represents the areas with the best air quality, 38 points lower than the national average of 58. Seniors with respiratory conditions might have a hard time breathing in the area.
Paying for Assisted Living in Minneapolis
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Minnesota
Assisted Living costs in Minneapolis start around $4,653 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Minneapolis and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Minneapolis
Seniors in assisted living in Minneapolis may be eligible for government assistance from a number of Medicaid waiver programs such as the Elderly Waiver and Alternative Care Program and Supplemental Security Income.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Minneapolis
Minneapolis and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Minneapolis, please visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Minneapolis
Minneapolis-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Minnesota are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near Minneapolis, MN
Other Options in Minneapolis, MN
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Minneapolis
Review of Saint Theresa of New Hope
We toured Saint Therese of New Hope and it seemed fine. We saw different apartments, and toured the different places. They were having an ice cream social the day I visited and they were singing. W... Read more
Review of Walker Methodist Health Center
Room was dirty, dingy. Furniture was old and used. We reported dirt on serving tray for 5 weeks. Never cleaned. They never vacuumed under the bed entire stay. Staff needs more training on eq... Read more
Review of Select Senior Living
I went to Select Senior Living. I felt it was too large, and they did not have a room available. It was pretty busy and more like apartment living, so it would involve elevators and stairways. My m... Read more