Sunrise of Edina

Sunrise of Edina (800) 385-2527

Reviews of Sunrise of Edina

Assisted Living Reviews for Sunrise of Edina

October 28, 2015

We went to Sunrise of Edina. There were four of us that visited, and all four of us thought it was absolutely a great place. It was clean. There was a lot of activities going on. It had a very nurturing environment. We would have been very interested in having my mother-in-law go there. The rooms themselves, individually, they were private space. It was a fair space. It was adequate. There was a lot of community space that there were individual sitting areas, interaction areas where there could be group stuff going on. If you wanted to be visiting with your family, there were several places throughout where many families could be visiting with their loved ones having enough space, but yet feeling like they weren't in the middle of a community room. So, we felt it was homey. I would absolutely recommend them to others.

July 28, 2015

At Sunrise of Edina, everything seemed fine. We just did the basic facility tour. The staff was very good. Also, it looked to be a very nice environment.

February 11, 2015

We absolutely loved the Sunrise of Edina, and it was I thought the best one ever. It's a very nice place. They had a little garden for people to do things. The people were wonderful. The rooms were nicer, and the apartments were much larger, but it felt more like home. They had less people. I liked the fact that they had a cat and a dog on-site because they're very healing for elderly people. They have gardening, exercise class, and outings. What is interesting is they allow the people to be on like a committee, and they ask them what they want. One time, they put some tents up, and they had people from the street fair come and make their food for their residents and family. Also, they had a birthday party for somebody. They have one manager for four people, so they always knew if somebody had like a bladder infection or whatever, and that's really important especially when you've got somebody who has dementia. It would have been the one I would have chosen except my mother doesn't like cold weather.

February 09, 2015

My father is staying in a place called Sunrise. It is very good for my father. He needs a higher level of service, and it is very accommodating. It is a relatively smaller place, and it is a good fit for him.

October 16, 2014

Sunrise of Edina was a very warm and inviting environment. The staff seemed wonderful, very attentive, caring, and they all knew each other. It’s very much like a home environment, cozy, updated, very clean, and well-taken care of. The rooms were a little outdated, but otherwise they were pretty nice. The dining room is very good -- although we didn’t eat there -- but we did eat in their little snack bar, and it was very good. The place was secured -- although very expensive -- but you are paying for health and food, so I guess that’s reasonable.

August 15, 2014

Sunrise of Edina has a nice outdoor area where people can get out, but it seemed small and a little bit cramped. They had residents of all ages and stages of Alzheimer's together. The woman who I talked to was very good and it seemed like the staff were very helpful as well.

July 31, 2014

By Gail23

I visited Sunrise of Edina for my parents. It was very nice, gorgeous and I was impressed. The staff was great. The person who gave us the tour was very nice and she made a follow up calls. They had a little parlor place where you could go with your family. The food looked great. The only thing was that my parents wanted a little bit more of an apartment living. It was fancy and my parents came from a small town and it just didn't fit my parent's lifestyle so much.

February 26, 2014

We have my mom at Sunrise. We selected it because of the location. It was a lot closer to my brother especially to his house. Some of the other places we went to looked great but they weren’t convenient for us to get there. We also chose it because it was a little bit smaller and we were impressed with the care that she gets and we have been impressed with the staff. They seem to be very caring and concerned that they’re doing all they can for my mom. The rooms are okay. My mom is in memory care and they have a person that helps with that. They brought her to an art activity where she paints. She was really good at art before so bringing out some of those talents is really good.

November 21, 2013

My dad was at Sunrise for about three months. The staff was very good and the food was good. They had all sorts of activities like exercise which was too low key for him. They just sat and did stretching. He wanted to get on to a treadmill and exercise bike and they didn't have that available. The residents there were not to his liking. His cognitive skills weren't as great so he wanted to move some place where people were more coherent so that's why he chose to move out of there. I'm sure the facility would be fine for some people but it was just not a good fit for him.

October 25, 2013

By Don25

We also visited Sunrise of Edina and they only had one bedroom apartment and we need two so we eliminated this place to begin with. We were able to look at couple of apartments that were being remodeled, they were empty but it looked nice.

September 10, 2012

By Anne10

My grandmother did not want to stay in an assisted living facility. She fought tooth and nail to stay in her own home. Unfortunately, after her second fall down the stairs, she ended up in hospital with injuries. During her recovery, we convinced her that moving into an assisted living facility was for the best. She visited several facilities in the metro and a few outside the cities. She chose this facility. My grandmother liked the homey atmosphere here. It didn't feel like an institution. It was in a nice part of Edina. They have plenty of parking and it's easy to drive to. Her room was much nicer than my dorm room at the time. She had her own bathroom and a kitchenette. We joked about me moving in with her. The people who worked there were really nice. Anytime I visited her near dinnertime they invited me to stay and eat. I took them up on that offer a few times. The food at sunrise was much better than the slop I was fed at my school dorm. My grandmother lived on the floor and liked to leave her door open so the cat would come visit her. The outdoor sitting area was a nice place to sit and visit. After my grandmother had stayed there a few months, she told me she regretted not moving in sooner, before her fall. She didn't want to give up her independence. She was afraid no one would come to see her. None of that turned out to be true. My grandmother liked no longer having to do the laundry, grocery shopping, or having to cook dinner. She was no longer afraid of falling down the stairs when she was alone. My grandmother passed away recently. Although I miss her very much, I take comfort in knowing she was happy during her time at Sunrise. She liked everything about living there. We were able to visit her frequently. Choosing to move into an assisted living facility is hard, but I believe my grandmother made the right choice.

May 26, 2011

By commercesd

Visited this facility

We decided to visit the Sunrise of Edina assisted living facility to consider it for our grandmother, mostly because it is so close to the Bloomington area where my aunt lives. The location is just north of 494 on France Avenue, which is just minutes from my aunt's house. This means she could visit every day if she wanted to! Edina is an upscale suburb of Minneapolis and has had a long standing reputation for excellent shopping, dining and boutiques. The Sunrise facility is no exception. It has well-appointed grounds with lush greenery and beautiful decorations. From the second we walked in, we were greeted warmly. It felt as though we were visiting friends, because the staff is very cordial. The community areas were all spacious and there were many interesting things going on, from card games to puzzles and movies. The choice of different suites resembled those we've seen in high-end hotels. There were fresh flowers in every room and the resident dog and cat was a welcomed site because our grandmother loves animals. They have many different outings and activities, exercise areas, a beauty shop and barber, lovely dining room and large patio. The food is prepared by a chef who has trained abroad so we weren't surprised that the food tasted like what you might find at a five star restaurant. This is definitely the most first-class assisted living facility we visited in the vicinity.

May 18, 2011

By slclynn

Visited this facility

Sunrise of Edina is a beautiful Assisted Living Facility located in Edina just minutes from shopping malls. The facility provides transportation to encourage those residents who are able to go out and about in order to maintain healthy socialization and mobility. The staff is very accommodating to residents and the environment has a very comfortable domestic feeling from the outdoor landscaping and flowers to the on sight resident dog and cat. Services that are available include help with grooming, bathing, dressing and medication reminders. Residents can receive daily meals and the food is served hot and looks appetizing. Social activities and religious services are available onsite and residents are encouraged to take part in daily activities such as sewing. There is an Alzheimer's care unit as well as Hospice services and all residents can select between private rooms or choose to have a companion room-mate. This is one of the nicest Assisted Living Facilities in the Twin Cities and I give it 4 stars.

Questions about Sunrise of Edina

What ongoing training does the staff receive in dementia care?

We offer monthly continuing education

Describe the overall population of assisted living residents at Sunrise of Edina. What is their average age? What are their favorite things to do?

Average age is 85. We offer a variety of activities for all of our residents. The most popular is our outings, yoga, tai chi, and trivia

What programs or activities does Sunrise of Edina offer to enrich residents' well-being?

We offer a variety of activities for all of our residents. The most popular is our outings, yoga, tai chi, and trivia. I encourage you to visit our Sunrise of Edina webpage, and you can access our activities calendar and see the robust program we offer.

What places are near Sunrise of Edina or within walking distance for assisted living residents to enjoy?

We are surrounded by shopping and dining options. We are also in the center of medical options including hospitals, doctors, and specialists.

What transportation services does Sunrise of Edina offer to assisted living residents?

We have scheduled transportation for shopping needs. For those that need transportation to a physicians office, we can assist either the resident and/or family with arriving any transportation services.

What makes the chef or dining program at Sunrise of Edina exceptional? What kind of menu can assisted living residents expect?

Our chef, David Donatelle, is a long time Edina resident and well known for his Italian dishes. We offer a variety of options for our residents to choose from at each meal. We invite you to visit our website at www.sunriseedina.com to see what our menus look like each week.

What safety features or security measures does Sunrise of Edina offer to assisted living residents?

We offer a pendant system for our residents, as well as frequent checks to ensure resident safety.

How does Sunrise of Edina keep residents' families informed about their loved ones?

We have care conferences every 6 months, or as needed. We also have open communication with the family regarding their loved one.

What is the care staff-to-resident ratio at Sunrise of Edina during daytime and nighttime hours?

We staff according to our residents needs.

If Sunrise of Edina accepts dogs or cats, what indoor/outdoor areas can they enjoy?

Sunrise of Edina residents may have furry family while living at our community. We have a large yard for them to enjoy, but will need to be kept on a leash while indoors.

What ongoing senior care training does the staff receive?

We offer monthly continuing education

How many staffers are on duty in the daytime and overnight?

We staff according to our residents needs.

What safety features or security measures does Sunrise of Edina provide to protect residents who wander?

We have a secured neighborhood for those needing memory care support.

What programs or activities does Sunrise of Edina offer to keep residents engaged? How does the staff engage residents' long-term memories?

We offer a variety of activities for all of our residents. The most popular is our outings, exercise, and walking club. We also have a Life Enrichment Manager to spend quality 1-on-1 time with residents who are not "group joiners". I encourage you to visit our Sunrise of Edina webpage, and you can access our activities calendar and see the robust program we offer.

Our Director of Nursing and Neighborhood Coordinator does our assessments. Assessments are done either every 6 months, or as needed as people proceed in their journey.

What techniques does Sunrise of Edina use to support memory care residents during mealtimes?

We promote choice by showing them meal options allowing them to pick what they would like to eat, we have fiesta wear designed to promote their independence, and have Care Managers to support those that need additional dining support.

How does Sunrise of Edina keep residents' families informed about their loved ones' health?

We have care conferences every 6 months, or as needed. We also send letters home, and have open communication with the family regarding their loved one.

Describe the neighborhood around Sunrise of Edina. Is it located in a residential neighborhood, a business district, a rural setting, or other type of locale?

We are located on France Avenue (main road) in Edina (a suburb of Minneapolis). It is mostly businesses along France, however we do have a residential neighborhood behind our building.

Is Sunrise of Edina affiliated with a hospital if more care is needed?

We work with all of the hospital systems in Minneapolis, including Fairview, Allina, Park Nicollet/Health Partners

Photos of Sunrise of Edina

Services and Amenities of Sunrise of Edina

About Sunrise of Edina

Located just six blocks north of 494 on France Avenue, Sunrise of Edina is nearby Southdale Mall, the Galleria and Fairview Southdale Hospital. We pride ourselves in our easily accessible location, our beautiful decor and our ability to provide care for residents with a variety of needs.

Step into a Sunrise Assisted Living community and you can't help but feel at home. We stop at nothing to make your experience warm and inviting, from our homelike exterior architecture, to our comfortable community areas and choice of suites to our exceptional outdoor gardens and landscaping.

Look around and you'll notice fresh flowers throughout the residence, and you may even spot our dog or our cat. And of course, there are always the friendly smiling faces of our staff to ensure that each day spent here is a welcome one.

Map of Sunrise of Edina