114 Assisted Living Facilities near Hopkins, MN
There are 114 Assisted Living Facilities in the Hopkins area, with 5 in Hopkins and 109 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Hopkins is $3,975 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,500. Cheaper nearby regions include St Louis Park with an average starting cost of $1,850.
To help you with your search, browse the 476 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Hopkins. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Hopkins 4.5 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Shakopee with an average rating of 4.7 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Hopkins, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Hopkins, MN
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Hopkins
Hopkins is a community of 18,000 residents in Minneapolis, where seniors make up 13.1% of the local population. The city's location offers local seniors the benefits of a major city with the serenity of a small town. Hopkins is also a Hennepin County Active Living Community, promoting physical activity in daily routines. This is achieved by making it easier to bike, walk and use public transit to get around the city and greater metro area.
Hopkins seniors who need personal care assistance will find 103 assisted living facilities in the surrounding area and five communities within the city itself to choose from. Assisted living communities in the city are licensed and governed by the Minnesota Department of Health, with certain additional programs in these facilities licensed by the Minnesota Department of Human Services.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Hopkins
- The Hopkins area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Abbott Northwestern Hospital, the University of Minnesota Medical Center and Fairview Southdale Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- The cost of living in Hopkins is 13% higher than the national average and is almost 7% higher than the state average, which might help Hopkins seniors stretch their fixed income further than residents in other suburbs. The city's cost of living is roughly 5% to 10% lower than the surrounding cities.
- Seniors living in the city can confidently walk around their neighborhoods or to and from the Main Street shopping and dining area. Hopkins is safer than 44% of US cities, with a violent crime rate that is below both the US average and state average in Minnesota. The national median for violent crime is four crimes per 1,000 residents and Minnesota's average is 2.38. Hopkins has a violent crime rate of just 1.77.
- Hopkins isn't ideal for those who enjoy outdoor activities. The Hopkins area experiences an average of 69 days per year where the high temperature is below 32 degrees. The metro area sees an average of 23 days per year with low temperatures below zero and receives an average of 54 inches of snow annually.
- The Hopkins Center for the Arts is located on Main Street and helps foster community-focused creative expression. The center provides opportunities for artistic and educational advancement for residents of all ages through theater performances, concerts, exhibitions and classes.
- Hopkins has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Hopkins Activity Center, an organization that offers organized and unorganized recreational, social, nutritional and fitness opportunities for seniors.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Hopkins
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Minnesota
Assisted Living costs in Hopkins start around $3,975 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Hopkins and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Hopkins
Hopkins seniors can obtain financial assistance for housing and food costs through the Housing Support program from the Minnesota Department of Human Services. The state of Minnesota also offers Medicaid waiver programs that include the Elderly Waiver, Community Access for Disability Inclusion (CADI) waiver and the Minnesota Senior Health Options (MSHO) program.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Hopkins
Hopkins and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Hopkins, please visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Hopkins
Hopkins-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Minnesota are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near Hopkins, MN
Other Options in Hopkins, MN
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Hopkins
Review of The Glenn Hopkins
The Glenn Hopkins was good. I liked the nature, the natural setting, the wildlife, and the beautiful scenery around the location. I liked the lake and the trees. The staff was very friendly and nic... Read more
Review of The Glenn Hopkins
My mother lived in the Towers for seven years. She enjoyed the activities and made close friendships with two other residents. They went to Mass, dinner and activities together. The staff were very... Read more
Review of The Glenn Hopkins
My mother lived at The Glenn-Hopkins for just over four years. We visited about a dozen different senior living arrangements before we made our choice. Besides the very pleasant surroundings, the... Read more