86 Assisted Living Facilities near Bloomington, MN
There are 86 Assisted Living Facilities in the Bloomington area, with 9 in Bloomington and 77 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 361 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Bloomington. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Bloomington 4.0 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Richfield with an average rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Bloomington, call (855) 863-8283.
9 Assisted Living Facilities in Bloomington, MN
77 Assisted Living Facilities near Bloomington, MN
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Bloomington
Home to the Mall of America, Bloomington, Minnesota is a vibrant suburb of the Twin Cities. About 23 percent of Bloomington residents are 62 or older, and the area features a total of 64 assisted living facilities (ALFs) for seniors. Only eight are located directly within the city, however. The rest are found in neighboring communities, such as Edina, Burnsville, Hopkins and Richmond. The regulatory agency for Bloomington and the rest of the state is the Minnesota Department of Health.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Bloomington
- Seniors should be aware the Sperling Comfort Index ranks the weather in Bloomington, Minnesota, at 41 out of 100, compared with the national average of 54. Local snowfall averages 52 inches annually. The national average is 26 inches. The snow may hinder winter travel for seniors, but it’s perfect for those who enjoy winter activities. Rainfall is less than the national average, at 32 and 39 inches, respectively. The average high temperature is around 84 degrees Fahrenheit, and the average low is around 7 degrees.
- Being next to two major cities and a national airport may affect Bloomington's air quality. According to the EPA’s National Air Toxics Assessment, Bloomington ranks 36 out of 100, which is poorer than the national average of 58. However, the risk of developing a respiratory disease is lower in Bloomington than the metro, state and national averages.
- The cost of living in Bloomington is 10 percent higher than the national average and 4 percent higher than the state average.
- Minnesota is not a senior-friendly state when it comes to taxes. Bloomington residents, like others in the state, are fully taxed on public and private pension incomes. Social Security income is partially taxed. A subtraction is available that might lower taxed income for eligible seniors.
- Bloomington is fairly safe location for seniors when it comes to violent crime—the city ranks just 12.4 out of 100, compared with the national average of 31.1. Property crime is more of an issue. Bloomington ranks 50 out of 100 for crimes like burglary and theft, while the U.S. average is 38.1.
- The Bloomington area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Fairview Southdale Hospital and Fairview Ridges Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Paying for Assisted Living in Bloomington
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Minnesota
Assisted Living costs in Bloomington start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Bloomington and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Bloomington
Financial help for ALF services in Bloomington, Minnesota, is available through several state programs, including Minnesota Senior Health Options (MSHO) and Senior Care Plus (MSC+), the Elderly Waiver and the Community Access for Disability Inclusion (CADI) Waiver.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Bloomington
Bloomington and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Bloomington, please visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Bloomington
Bloomington-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Minnesota are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Bloomington, MN
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Bloomington
Review of Geneva Suites - Lighted Oak
My father was at The Geneva Suites - Lighted Oak. They have 24-hour residential care and they only have six bedrooms in the whole facility. It was not a very nice place. The bathroom was across the... Read more
Review of Minnesota Masonic Home Bloomington
My 90 year old mother was sent here after a stay at Fairview Southdale to the Transisitional Care Unit to recover from surgery. The care has been excellent and incredible. All members of the staf... Read more
Review of Presbyterian Homes of Bloomington
My parents enjoyed living in a beautiful independent living apartment for almost 10 years, ate at their dining room nightly and often bought lunch from the bistro. There are movies shown Friday ni... Read more