96 Assisted Living Facilities near Columbia Heights, MN
There are 96 Assisted Living Facilities in the Columbia Heights area, with 3 in Columbia Heights and 93 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 317 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Columbia Heights. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Columbia Heights 4.3 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Fridley with an average rating of 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Columbia Heights, call (855) 863-8283.
3 Assisted Living Facilities in Columbia Heights, MN
93 Assisted Living Facilities near Columbia Heights, MN
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Columbia Heights
Columbia Heights, an inner-ring suburb of Minneapolis, is home to about 20,500 people, and nearly 15% are seniors. Community events include the Columbia Heights Lions Club Annual Jamboree and Carnival, which has been a city favorite for over seven decades, and the Community Picnic and Arts and Crafts fair. For seniors who love a good bargain, the city hosts an annual citywide garage sale as well.
To care for the city’s seniors, there are 96 assisted living facilities near Columbia Heights, and three are within city limits. Like all licensed assisted living facilities in the state, they’re regulated by the Minnesota Department of Health.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Columbia Heights
- With an average of 53 inches of snow every year, Columbia Heights may be an ideal retirement destination for seniors who love cross country skiing and other winter activities. For seniors who don’t enjoy cold, snowy conditions, this climate may be a major drawback of life in Columbia Heights.
- The American Lung Association ranks metropolitan areas across the country based on various air pollution measures. Out of 217 areas that were ranked by 24-hour particle pollution, Minneapolis-St. Paul came in at 50th most polluted. Seniors with respiratory illnesses may feel more comfortable in a less-polluted part of the state, such as La Crosse-Onalaska.
- Columbia Heights has an array of community resources for seniors, including Northeast Senior Services, an organization that provides many services, including rides to medical appointments, as well as one senior center.
- During non-rush hours, seniors get discounted fares on MetroTransit buses. Four routes leave from the Columbia Heights Transit Center, taking seniors to downtown Minneapolis, Fridley, Roseville and other communities in the Twin Cities area. Eligible seniors with disabilities or health conditions can schedule rides on the Metro Mobility bus service.
- The Columbia Heights area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Mercy Hospital’s Unity Campus, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Seniors who move to Columbia Heights from other parts of the country may notice higher bills than they’re used to. The city’s overall cost of living is 5.7% higher than the U.S. norm, mostly due to housing costs. Transportation costs, at 27.5% higher than the national average, may also strain senior’s budgets.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Columbia Heights
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Minnesota
Assisted Living costs in Columbia Heights start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Columbia Heights and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Columbia Heights
Seniors who need help with assisted living bills in Columbia Heights may qualify for several state programs. Minnesota Supplemental Aid provides top-up funding to seniors who receive federal SSI benefits. Frail, Medicaid-eligible seniors may qualify for a variety of services through the Elderly waiver program, including assisted living care.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Columbia Heights
Columbia Heights and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Columbia Heights, please visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Columbia Heights
Columbia Heights-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Minnesota are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near Columbia Heights, MN
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Columbia Heights
Review of New Perspective | Columbia Heights
Lighthouse of Columbia Heights is really good. It was just as beautiful as the other communities, but Lighthouse of Columbia Heights didn't have the outdoor amenities that either one has. Neverthel... Read more
Review of Royce Place
Royce Place is a building right next to other senior places; I think they are all together. The staff was very well informed, caring, and knew what they were doing. They had a calendar of activitie... Read more
Review of New Perspective | Columbia Heights
We really liked Lighthouse of Columbia Heights. It was elegant. They appeared to have a lot of activities. Staffing was beyond sufficient. The only thing that was probably a negative for me was the... Read more