Catonsville is a small, charming community situated along Baltimore’s western border. It has 44,701 residents, over 18% of whom are aged 65 or older. Catonsville’s commitment to accommodating seniors coupled with the state’s tax-friendly policies make it an attractive destination for budget-conscious retirees. The community’s pleasant weather, good air and water quality and plentiful social opportunities add to its appeal.

Assisted living facilities provide room and board along with personal care, housekeeping and social activities. Assisted living can be an ideal alternative for older adults who can no longer remain independent at home but don’t require the 24-hour specialized support provided in a nursing home. In Catonsville, seniors pay an average of $5,000 per month for assisted living services, which is on par with Maryland’s state average.

This guide introduces seniors and their loved ones to assisted living in Catonsville. It includes cost comparisons with nearby cities and different types of senior care, the benefits and drawbacks of retiring in the community and some of the free or low-cost resources available to older residents.

Directory of Assisted Living Facilities in Catonsville, MD

The Waterfalls of Catonsville

305 N. Rolling Road, Catonsville, MD, 21228

From the moment we entered the front door of this beautifully renovated, charming, historic Catonsville home, we felt we were entering the home of a family! It was a cold and snowy February day when w … (read more)

Glynn Taff Assisted Living

5741 Edmondson Avenue, Catonsville, MD, 21228

When I visited Glynn Taff Assisted Living Inc., everybody was very friendly, cooperative, and very pleasant. They showed me the dining room where residents would eat. Their menu was very appetizing an … (read more)

Paradise Assisted Living

6348 Frederick Road, Catonsville, MD, 21228

My visit at Paradise Assisted Living was fine. They accept Medicaid. The staff gave me paper to fill out, but I haven’t gone back with it, and we’re still looking for other options. We liked it, and w … (read more)

2014, 2015

Charlestown by Erickson Senior Living

715 Maiden Choice Lane, Catonsville, MD, 21228

I toured Charlestown by Erickson Senior Living. I had lunch there. It was a gorgeous place. The landscape stood out. The rooms were like apartments inside. You never had to go off of the property. The … (read more)

2013

Brightview of Catonsville

912 South Rolling Road, Catonsville, MD, 21228

Brightview of Catonsville is a nicer community. Everybody there (the residents and the staff) seems to have a lot of interaction with each other. It just felt like a better and smaller kind of active … (read more)

Lifespring

2200 Pleasant Villa Avenue, Catonsville, MD, 21228

Lifespring was an old house that had been redone. The facilities were not as attractive as the others, but it was clean and taken care of and the people seemed content and relatively satisfied. The pe … (read more)

Rolling Meadows

303 North Rolling Road, Catonsville, MD, 21228

Rolling Meadows Assisted living is not the facility for those who need assistance with their loved one if they are at any stage of dementia. I don’t believe 1 star should be an option. Its not the p … (read more)

Brightview Rolling Hills

848 South Rolling Road, Catonsville, MD, 21228

Brightview Rolling Hills is a beautifully decorated facility. The apartments are nice, food and activities reasonably good. Unfortunately, I made the mistake of letting the beauty of the facility in … (read more)

Spring Grove Hospital Center

55 Wade Avenue, c/o Spring Grove Hospital, Catonsville, MD, 21228

2014, 2015, 2016

The Atrium Village

4730 Atrium Court, Owings Mills, MD, 21117

My mother is in Atrium Village. It’s an excellent place for one’s parents to be in. It’s an excellent residence for one’s senior years. The rooms are beautiful, beautifully well-kept, well designed, a … (read more)

2013

Charter Senior Living of Woodholme Crossing

1840 Reisterstown Road, Pikesville, MD, 21208

My father moved into Charter Senior Living of Woodholme Crossing the day after Thanksgiving. We chose this because my dad was able to see it himself, he was not able to see the other place. So I feel … (read more)

2015, 2016

Harmony Hall

6336 Cedar Lane, Columbia, MD, 21044

Harmony Hall was pretty good. It’s just that they segregate the residents. So, my mom was on a floor that had a nursing home feel to it. They did a good job though. The staff was pretty decent. All in … (read more)

2016

Sunrise of Pikesville

3800 Old Court Road, Pikesville, MD, 21208

We went to Sunrise of Pikesville. It was very nice, but it was expensive. It’s very clean, the people were very mannered. Everybody was helpful. I love the nurses, the rooms were nice. I did like it. … (read more)

Elternhaus Assisted Living

4201 Linthicum Road, Dayton, MD, 21036

This facility is a very caring facility. Soma, who is the nurse, cook, etc who takes care of my Dad, does an excellent job and Tim, the owner/director and Charilyn makes sure all residents stay healt … (read more)

2016

Sunrise of Columbia

6500 Freetown Road, Columbia, MD, 21044

Sunrise of Columbia is very clean and very well staffed. It was not something that we could afford. It was one of my top choices. The staff was very friendly. Everybody was very friendly. I did not tr … (read more)

2014

Morningside House of Satyr Hill

8800 Old Harford Road, Parkville, MD, 21234

Mom has been a resident since 2019 and is doing well. There are some super staff members who really care for the residents. There are frequent activities to keep residents socially engaged. Th … (read more)

Charter Senior Living of Towson

6451 N. Charles St, Baltimore, MD, 21212

We chose it for my sister. We liked the people there, the atmosphere, the pricing, and we worked with them to make it affordable. It was just the actual place and the people more than anything else th … (read more)

2015

Brighton Gardens of Columbia

7110 Minstrel Way, Columbia, MD, 21045

My mom has moved into Brighton Gardens of Columbia. I like the apartment. It’s a one-bedroom unit. The staff has been amazing, and that was part of our reason, too. They’re so great. We haven’t tried … (read more)

Morningside House of Ellicott City

5330 Dorsey Hall Drive, Ellicott City, MD, 20142

I visited both assisted living and memory care in Morningside House of Ellicott City. Everybody was polite. It was clean and beautiful. They had wonderful caregivers and the rooms were bright and big. … (read more)

What to Consider About Assisted Living in Catonsville

Catonsville’s assisted living facilities are regulated by the Office of Health Care Quality, a division of the Maryland Department of Health. This office oversees licensing for all the state’s assisted living programs. The Baltimore County Health Department monitors environmental conditions of assisted living facilities, and the Baltimore County Department of Social Services investigates instances of alleged abuse.

Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Catonsville

• As a part of Baltimore County, Catonsville is considered an Age-Friendly Community. The AARP awarded the county this designation for its continual assessment and development of plans that improve livability for its older population.
  • Catonsville’s cost of living exceeds the national average by 8%. However, Maryland Access Point can connect seniors and their caregivers with benefits and services to help ease financial hardship.
  • Catonsville gets seven more inches of rain than the U.S. average of 38, but it gets four more sunny days than the national average of 205. Seniors here typically see mild summers, and winters bring an average of 18 inches of snow each year.
  • The property crime ranking in Catonsville is 43.2 compared to the national average of 35.4, and the community’s violent crime rate is 28.0 compared to the U.S. average of 22.7. Many assisted living facilities feature round-the-clock video surveillance and other security-enhancing protocols for the residents’ peace of mind and safety.
  • Maryland is moderately tax-friendly toward retirees. It is the only state that imposes both an estate and inheritance tax, but it exempts 401(k) distributions and Social Security benefits from state income taxes. The state doesn’t tax retirees with incomes up to $50,000.
  • Catonsville enjoys moderate to good air quality, as pollutant concentrations are within the WHO’s annual air quality guidelines The community’s water quality meets or exceeds regulatory standards.

Paying for Assisted Living in Catonsville

Assisted living in Catonsville costs an average of $5,000 per month, according to the Genworth Financial 2020 Cost of Care Survey. This is identical to Maryland’s statewide median cost. Across the nation, the average rate is $4,300 per month.

The Cost of Assisted Living in Nearby Cities

Catonsville’s average cost of $5,000 per month puts it midrange on the price spectrum for communities throughout Maryland. Costs are lower in Hagerstown and Cumberland, where prices average $4,500 and $4,665, respectively. Salisbury’s median cost is $500 more expensive at $5,500 per month. In California, the state’s most expensive area, the average rate is $6,200, which is $1,200 above what Catonsville seniors pay.

Catonsville

Salisbury

$6200

California

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

Catonsville has several senior care alternatives which accommodate varying needs for support and medical attention. Adult day health care is the most economical choice at $1,896 for individuals who only need weekday supervision. Homemaker and home health aide services, with respective average monthly costs of $4,671 and $4,957, can be suitable options for seniors who prefer to receive assistance in their own homes. Nursing homes provide the highest level of care and charge an average of $11,984 per month for semiprivate rooms and $12,805 for private rooms.

$4671

Homemaker Services

$4957

Home Health Aide

$1896

Adult Day Health Care

Assisted Living Facility

$11984

Nursing Home Facility (semiprivate room)

$12805

Nursing Home Facility (private room)

Note: Care cost data for Catonsville was not available, so data for the closest city, Baltimore, was used instead.

Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Catonsville

The state of Maryland pays for assisted living services in Level II and Level III ALPs through the Medicaid 1915(c)Home and Community-Based Options Waiver Program. There is also a Senior Assisted Living Group Home Subsidy Program funded by the state.

Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Maryland page.

Paying for Assisted Living Facilities in Maryland

More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living

• Veterans Benefits
  • Life Insurance Policy
  • Long-Term Care Insurance
  • Reverse Mortgage

For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page.

Free Assisted Living Resources in Catonsville

Seniors can turn to an array of aging-related resources in Catonsville and Baltimore County, whether they’re looking for assisted living providers or already live in a community. Government and nonprofit agencies offer services and programs including benefits counseling, legal aid, health and wellness workshops and social activities.

Resource

Contact

Service

The Catonsville Senior Center offers a wide range of social and recreational opportunities for area residents aged 60 and older. A social worker is available to provide one-on-one and small group counseling. Classes offered at the center cover fitness, nutrition, arts and culture topics, and there are online lessons in dance, yoga and mental stimulation. Membership at the state-of-the-art fitness center costs a nominal annual fee, and the center sponsors life-enriching day trips and extended travel opportunities.

Maryland Legal Aid administers the Legal Services for Senior Citizens program in Baltimore County. Financially eligible residents aged 60 and older can receive free assistance with civil matters including long-term care, protective services, debt and collections and income maintenance.

Baltimore County’s Ombudsman Program advocates for the well-being of assisted living facility residents. Ombudsmen provide confidential, free services including education on residents’ rights, quality of care and long-term care alternatives. They also investigate grievances and work to resolve complaints on behalf of residents and their families.

The RSVP program connects seniors aged 55 and older with volunteering opportunities based on their skills and interests. Participants can help local nonprofits and government agencies expand their services and outreach efforts. Volunteers can serve in one or more areas, which focus on education, environmental stewardship, healthy futures and economic empowerment.

The VA Baltimore Regional Office helps older veterans understand and access the benefits and entitlements available to them. These may include pensions, VA medical care and the Aid and Attendance benefit. The office can also assist with gathering supporting documents and completing claim forms.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Catonsville

Catonsville-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Maryland are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page for more information about these laws.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Maryland