Part of the Northwest Corridor, Baltimore County is rated one of the best places to live in Maryland. The county has 827,370 residents, 17.6% of whom are aged 65 or older. It gets high rainfall levels, but its climate is tempered by the Atlantic Ocean, leaving it with mild winters and warm summers. Baltimore County is a regional educational hub, home to multiple universities, and is known as a destination for equestrian sports and fox hunting. It has picturesque outdoor attractions, such as Patapsco Valley State Park and Lake Roland Park, where senior nature lovers can hike, fish, boat and bird-watch.

There are hundreds of assisted living facilities in Baltimore County. These facilities charge an average of $5,000 per month, which is on par with the state average. Although this price is higher than the national median, costs can vary greatly by location, care plan and range of amenities.

Directory of Assisted Living Facilities in Baltimore County, MD

2014, 2015, 2016

The Atrium Village

4730 Atrium Court, Owings Mills, MD, 21117

My mother is in Atrium Village. It’s an excellent place for one’s parents to be in. It’s an excellent residence for one’s senior years. The rooms are beautiful, beautifully well-kept, well designed, a … (read more)

2013

Charter Senior Living of Woodholme Crossing

1840 Reisterstown Road, Pikesville, MD, 21208

My father moved into Charter Senior Living of Woodholme Crossing the day after Thanksgiving. We chose this because my dad was able to see it himself, he was not able to see the other place. So I feel … (read more)

2016

Sunrise of Pikesville

3800 Old Court Road, Pikesville, MD, 21208

We went to Sunrise of Pikesville. It was very nice, but it was expensive. It’s very clean, the people were very mannered. Everybody was helpful. I love the nurses, the rooms were nice. I did like it. … (read more)

2014

Morningside House of Satyr Hill

8800 Old Harford Road, Parkville, MD, 21234

We did both a virtual and an in-person tour of Morningside House of Satyr Hill. My mom and I were both much more impressed with that one than the other facility we looked at. She likes to sit outside, … (read more)

Lighthouse Senior Living at Hopkins Creek

1813 Old Eastern Ave, Baltimore, MD, 21221

I liked Lighthouse Senior Living at Hopkins Creek, I thought it was very nice and pleasant. The marketing director gave me a wonderful tour. It seemed a lot bigger to me than it looked from the outsid … (read more)

The Waterfalls of Catonsville

305 N. Rolling Road, Catonsville, MD, 21228

From the moment we entered the front door of this beautifully renovated, charming, historic Catonsville home, we felt we were entering the home of a family! It was a cold and snowy February day when w … (read more)

Tyrell’s Housing

3425 Chapman Road, Randallstown, MD, 21133

I recently visited the facility and was very impressed with the owners and staff. They took very special care of the property and residents in their care. Exemplary customer service, their staff was a … (read more)

The Mohawk Estate

2814 Mohawk Ave, Baltimore, MD, 21207

This facility is exceptionall! The staff works VERY close with us to ensure mom’s care needs are handled. She wasn’t very active, and veryy reluctant to transition into a facility. Now she’s become a … (read more)

College Manor

300 W Seminary Ave, Lutherville Timonium, MD, 21093

The tour experience at College Manor was good. The staff was very good. We saw people playing games, bingo, and all kinds of stuff. The rooms were nice and clean. It was an older community.

Woodlands Assisted Living

1320 Windlass Drive, Baltimore, MD, 21220

Woodlands Assisted Living is located near State Route 700 in a charming residential area just northwest of Baltimore, MD. Visitors and family members give the facility positive reviews for its clean e … (read more)

The Cottages of Perry Hall

9900 Walther Boulevard, Baltimore, MD, 21234

I like The Cottages of Perry Hall. I like the fact that it was more of a family setting. I didn’t meet everyone, but from what I saw, the staff members seemed nice. They said they had an activity coor … (read more)

Dulaney Valley Assisted Living at Hunt Valley

10815 Powers Avenue, Cockeysville, MD, 21030

The staff at Dulaney Valley is excellent to work with, and it was a good place. It’s a small group home, and everybody has a roommate except there are two private rooms. They have a nice size dining … (read more)

Perfect Home Care LLC

149 Westminster Pike, Reisterstown, MD, 21136

The staff is caring considerate and kind. The facility was super clean my mom was in love with the home. The Covid precautions had made my family feel extremely safe and comfortable. I would give 10 s … (read more)

Glynn Taff Assisted Living

5741 Edmondson Avenue, Catonsville, MD, 21228

When I visited Glynn Taff Assisted Living Inc., everybody was very friendly, cooperative, and very pleasant. They showed me the dining room where residents would eat. Their menu was very appetizing an … (read more)

Woodholme Gardens

1700 Woodholme Avenue, Pikesville, MD, 21208

I went to Woodholme Gardens. It was very nice, and the young man was nice as well. The apartments had a sink. It was a shower with a bed, and then there was the area where she could sit, and where she … (read more)

Dulaney Valley Assisted Living at Baldwin

5001 Carroll Manor Road, Baldwin, MD, 21093

We toured Dulaney Valley Assisted Living at Baldwin. They were very good. They had the stairs, and they had the lift chairs. My father likes to wander on his own, so that’s why we were looking for a p … (read more)

Commonwealth Senior Living at Cockeysville

10881/10883 York Road, Cockeysville, MD, 21030

It was my first time to CSLC to visit my Mom; it was a surprise for her birthday! As I rounded the bend onto the property, a calm euphoria enveloped me: the beautiful trees and foliage, the sun shini … (read more)

Lifespring

2200 Pleasant Villa Avenue, Catonsville, MD, 21228

Lifespring was an old house that had been redone. The facilities were not as attractive as the others, but it was clean and taken care of and the people seemed content and relatively satisfied. The pe … (read more)

Paradise Assisted Living

6348 Frederick Road, Catonsville, MD, 21228

My visit at Paradise Assisted Living was fine. They accept Medicaid. The staff gave me paper to fill out, but I haven’t gone back with it, and we’re still looking for other options. We liked it, and w … (read more)

Inspirations Memory Care of Lutherville

1414 & 1420 Front Ave, Lutherville, MD, 21093

Paying for Assisted Living in Baltimore County

In Baltimore County, assisted living has an average cost of $5,000 per month, according to Genworth Financial’s 2020 Cost of Care Survey. This price is the same as the state average and $700 higher than the national average of $4,300 per month.

The Cost of Assisted Living in Nearby Cities

Assisted living prices within the rest of the state can be variable. While costs in Baltimore County are on par with the state median, western city Cumberland is more affordable at $4,665 per month. Nearby, the Hagerstown area has the lowest costs in the state at $4,500 per month, which is $500 cheaper than the Baltimore County average. On the banks of the Chesapeake Bay, California has the highest costs in the state at $6,200 monthly. Costs in Salisbury are slightly lower, but at $5,500, it is still $500 per month more expensive than Baltimore County. Assisted living prices can be lower in neighboring Virginia, where capital city Richmond averages $3,645 per month.

$5000

$5500

Salisbury

$6200

California

Note: Data for Baltimore County was unavailable, so data for the nearest city to the county seat, Baltimore, was used instead

Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Baltimore County

Seniors in the Maryland area may be eligible for assistance with funding from the Senior Assisted Living Group Home Subsidy program

Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Maryland page.

Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Baltimore County

More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living

• Veterans Benefits
  • Life Insurance Policy
  • Long-Term Care Insurance
  • Reverse Mortgage

For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page.

Free Assisted Living Resources in Baltimore County

ResourceContact Service
Baltimore County Department of Aging(410) 887-2594This Area Agency on Aging’s Maryland Access Point initiative is a one-stop connection for seniors to information, resources and referrals. Older adults can get help determining their eligibility and applying for health insurance, as well as accessing care needs assessments and long-term care referrals. A loan closet offers medical and mobility equipment, and a transportation program helps seniors get around. Educational programming, including chronic disease management, fall prevention and aging mastery classes, is also offered.
Baltimore Vet Center(410) 764-9400Run by the federal government, this organization offers financial support to veterans that can help pay for medical care, education and housing. This vet center also offers referrals to the VA medical system, which provides a full battery of health services, from pharmaceuticals to laboratory tests. Mental health services include support groups and individual counseling, and information on federal benefits and entitlement programs is also available.
American Association of Retired Persons Baltimore1 (866) 542-8163A national network of seniors and senior services, this nonprofit provides education and enrichment to the aging population. Members can access financial wellness programs, such as scam awareness classes and free tax preparation assistance. A driver safety class helps seniors stay safe on the roads, and educational seminars keep seniors up-to-date on important aging issues.
Parkville Senior Center(410) 887-5338This center has a lively event calendar with over 60 activities each week, including crafts, such as painting and ceramics, sports and dance classes. Lifelong learning opportunities include classes on aging psychology, computers, history, language and culture. Members can participate in day trips and longer group vacations and attend holiday celebrations and live performances.
Maryland Legal Aid(410) 951-7777Eligible seniors can take advantage of pro bono advice and representation for an array of legal issues. These include housing and health care disputes, as well as issues with elder rights, debt collection and financial fraud. Seniors can also get help preparing wills and care directives, as well as accessing federal financial assistance programs.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Baltimore County

Baltimore County-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Maryland are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page for more information about these laws.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Baltimore County