Charter Senior Living of Woodholme Crossing

1840 Reisterstown Road, Pikesville, MD 21208
Charter Senior Living of Woodholme Crossing (800) 385-2527
PROMOTION! 32 days

Get to know Charter Senior Living of Woodholme Crossing. Any resident who moves in with us before March 31, 2021, will receive a discount of $3,000 to be used in a variety of ways.

Reviews of Charter Senior Living of Woodholme Crossing

Assisted Living Reviews for Charter Senior Living of Woodholme Crossing

April 17, 2015

By Catherine24

They were very kind to invite me to lunch, and I had a nice lunch in a nice atmosphere. Then, I was shown one of the dwelling places; it was a small apartment, but it was very nice, very clean, very comfortable-looking, and the person who escorted me there was very kind and very helpful in explaining what I might be looking forward to. It was a short visit, and I couldn't say anymore than this: from the outside looking in, it looked like it was a safe and homey place in a pleasurable atmosphere. I was told that they do have activities for the residents and taking them out -- taking them to the doctor and taking them on trips. The visit was so short, and I really don't have any real ideas except that it was safe, it was bright, it was clean, and it was pleasant.

March 11, 2015

We chose it for my mother-in-law. We actually chose it because of the people that staffed the place. The person who gave us the tour was wonderful and really put our minds at ease, the head chef was amazing, and the fact that they all work together as a team that you will find the chef answering the phone at the front desk, and they all get very involved in the residents and in the residents' lives. We just were very impressed with that. They have a dining room, they feed them three meals a day, and they have very good food. They have a lot of different activities including taking them off campus for lunches. They go out to lunch at least once a month. They would celebrate a different country every month and do a lot of activities centered on that country. We are very happy with it.

March 02, 2015

By William103016450

It was very good. The staff was excellent. The rooms were very good. They were clean and had no odors. I thought the security was really excellent too. I ate there, and the food was very good. The vegetables and meats were standard. The dining room was very clean, and the staff waiting there was good too. They had activities like singing, people came in and played instruments, they had people reading to the residents, and they had trivia questions.

December 28, 2014

There are a lot of stores around this facility. It is not very big. The person we talked to was very nice. Most of the rooms were a living room and one bedroom because it was assisted living. The residents were much older. They didn't have very many amenities. In terms of activities, every Wednesday they would go to Pizza Hut for lunch, and they have people come in to speak.

October 06, 2014

It was recommended to us by my cousin, because she felt it was a good place so we had mom in there. It's all very lovely so far. It has just been a couple of weeks since she has been in there. They have bingo and games.They also have singers come on. It has a very nice central living room and a very nice dining area. They have dining area and lots of different rooms.

September 29, 2014

By Jamie7

They were very nice, accommodating, gave me a lot of good information, and were very knowledgeable. They had big round tables, there were people eating there at the time that I went there. Everybody was seated at the round table so they could talk and all the ones that we talked to seemed pretty happy. The place is very clean; they showed me several different rooms, and it was very nice. They provided some of the furnitre that they might need like a coffee table and they have little kitchen, very home-like.

August 27, 2014

By Jean97992150

I spent some time in a home here. I stayed there for one month. It was pretty. The location was across from the shopping center. The apartment was great. It was clean, and the rooms were spacious. I think some of the apartments were independent living, but the majority of them were assisted living. They were wonderful! Everyone was nice to me. I got what I asked for and on time. They checked on me from day to day. The food was fine. They have people come in to the building and they have shows; of course they have exercise classes. They have a lot of things going on.

June 30, 2014

My brother liked it here. They have a beautiful front porch that patients can sit on. He actually has 2 rooms; one is a living space which is nice. He also has a microwave, a refrigerator and an easy chair. Food was very good and their dining room is beautiful too. He doesn't complain about the food. He certainly isn't losing weight, apparently its okay. In addition, the great room is lovely. They have activities; if you want to play cards, bingo or whatever. They also have a workout room.

May 30, 2014

I went to visit when I looked for a place for my mom. The sales representative was nice. The place was pleasant, and the rooms were pretty. The price was just out of my range.

May 20, 2014

It was pretty good. The staff was great. The rooms were pretty nice. From what I saw, the residents looked happy.

May 20, 2014

By Robin28

It was very nice. My sister and I went there. They provided lunch for us, and the food was very good. The dining area was beautiful. The environment was very beautiful. It was very clean, and the staff was friendly. The director invited us into his office, and he is very nice, warm, and very informative.

April 29, 2014

The director came to see me and took me on a tour at the facility. The facility seemed really nice and clean. They showed me the biggest room they have, and it was very nice. They also had a lot of things to do. The staff were all nice to me, and they were very friendly. I couldn’t say anything bad about this facility, but it's very expensive.

March 28, 2014

By Laura28

Before my mother passed away, we had put her here. My mother had only been there for two and a half months. It was a lovely place. They had a memory care unit. My mother had her own room in the regular part of the facility because there was no opening in the memory care unit; however, she was able to participate in the program during the day. The staff was excellent. The rooms were spacious. They were nice, and they had their own bathroom and sink with a microwave area. They also had refrigerators, which they supplied. Food was OK too.

March 27, 2014

The staff were very nice and very accommodating. The rooms were nice, and they were on the bigger side. When I went over there, they had some activities going on.

February 28, 2014

It is a very nice and pleasant facility. I went there for a visit while I was searching for a facility for my mom. It's very nice and very clean. The staff were very helpful in showing me around and the things that they offer. I was also impressed with the staff because they seem to have adequate knowledge to take care of the people living here. I went there during lunch time and the residents seemed to be enjoying the food and that was a plus for me. The dining room is very clean and it seemed to be well taken care of. The rooms were very nice and clean. The rooms are of adequate size and they have entertainment area for the people. It’s a facility that would qualify for my mother's if she needed assisted living, but right now she needs a nursing facility.

February 14, 2014

By Stuart3

It is a wonderful place. I liked everybody. I met several clients and I had a wonderful luncheon with some people. Manager Todd couldn't have been nicer including the nurses. I'm extremely impressed that I've been recommending it to other people that could afford it. If I could afford it, I would definitely wanna go there. The level of service and the clients I met were interesting. I felt unusually at home. I really did. I didn't expect it.

September 26, 2013

By Valerie12

We visited, however, we learned that we couldn't cook there. Although the staff explained why, we already knew that we don't want to stay there once we found out we couldn't cook. The rooms weren't big enough and we didn't like the area, too.

September 19, 2013

By Mollie1

I did visit and it is a very nice facility. They have a nice dining room. Mealtime is very flexible. The residents are able to go whatever hour for mealtimes. They also have a variety of foods to choose from. They have plenty of things to do for their residents. They have outings and residents can actually suggest where they want to go. They will just schedule and make arrangements for it. There are plenty of activities onsite as well. The staff is fabulous. They're very nice, very friendly and willing to help you and answer any questions you might have. This is a very good facility but they're just a little bit more expensive than we are able to afford.

June 19, 2013

By Joan P.1

When you walk in, you immediately got an extremely good feeling about it. My mom moved in there just this April and I chose this community for her because it was closer and accessible to both me and my daughter. Their staff are absolutely wonderful. Their caring staff are very attentive to their clients and they learn their clients' names quickly. They also have a wonderful wait staff and an equally wonderful chef. It was just an overall great place. My mom loves it there. Also when my mom had to go to the hospital and when they called me to alert me to what was going on, the emergency team was already there preparing to take her. So I was extremely pleased that they have reacted so fast. This facility is top notch and I would consider this place myself.

May 23, 2013

By Diana10

I chose it because it was a secure facility compared to the first one where my mom stayed. She was in a big room with her own bathroom, sitting area and television. They had activities happening every day. I have not tasted the food but it looked fine. The facility was expensive since it was very secured and she cannot go out or walk away.

April 20, 2012

By BenStein

I toured this facility with a friend and was very impressed. Everyone was friendly. I even saw the administrator and the head nurse interacting with the residents which you don't see very often. It was clean and the food looked great. If I had to make the choice for a family member of mine it would without a doubt be here.

Questions about Charter Senior Living of Woodholme Crossing

What ongoing training does the staff receive in dementia care?

All staff are required to complete training in order to gain a basic understanding of cognitive decline and dementia. Staff who will frequently provide care or interact with those diagnosed with dementia participate in more in depth training to help them develop skills and techniques to best care for those with cognitive decline. Memory Care staff receive additional training that is guided by the Coordinator/Manager and could be more specific to the challenging behaviors that can occur with advanced dementia.

Describe the overall population of assisted living residents at Charter Senior Living of Woodholme Crossing. What is their average age? What are their favorite things to do?

We have a very diverse population in Pikesville. The average resident age is early 80's, but have residents as young as early 60's and as old as mid to late 90's. Our demographic very much reflects the Pikesville population-Jewish, African American, Christian. The activity interests are as diverse as our population. A variety of popular programs are offered daily. Our residents always enjoy the live music, family events, movies, exercise and of course anything related to food!

What programs or activities does Charter Senior Living of Woodholme Crossing offer to enrich residents' well-being?

Our programming is based on our mission to enhance the human spirit. The calendar reflects activities that stimulate all aspects of wellness. We develop cognitive, physical, spiritual, social and expressive activities to engage our residents. Active seniors are the happiest and healthiest! We also can offer interventions for mental health that include a geriatric Psychiatrist and LCSW.

What places are near Charter Senior Living of Woodholme Crossing or within walking distance for assisted living residents to enjoy?

Charter Senior Living of Woodholme Crossing is centrally located. There are a variety of restaurants, shops and services very close by. Although it is possible, due to the busy traffic, we would not recommend most of our residents to walk to such locations. We do offer scheduled transportation and outings for our residents.

What transportation services does Charter Senior Living of Woodholme Crossing offer to assisted living residents?

We have a van with a lift for wheelchairs and a car to transport residents to outings or appointments. We offer transportation to medical appointments 2 days a week, within a 10 mile radius.

What makes the chef or dining program at Charter Senior Living of Woodholme Crossing exceptional? What kind of menu can assisted living residents expect?

We have developed a specialzed menu for a seniors dietary needs. There is a wide variety of choices that change daily as well as a standard always available menu. Our amazing staff produce tasty meals without increased sodium and are nutritionist developed. Our menu reflects cultural choices for our residents as well.

What safety features or security measures does Charter Senior Living of Woodholme Crossing offer to assisted living residents?

Residents are offered a pendant with GPS, pull cords in bathrooms and safety railings throughout the community. OT, PT and speech therapies on site. Our Memory Care is a secured environment that includes a beautiful outdoor courtyard area. All doors in community are locked and alarmed between 8pm and 8am.

How does Charter Senior Living of Woodholme Crossing keep residents' families informed about their loved ones?

Our Executive Director sends monthly emails to all families. If there is an individual issue related to care, our families are informed by Health and Wellness department and or the ED. Family meetings can be scheduled as needed.

What is the care staff-to-resident ratio at Charter Senior Living of Woodholme Crossing during daytime and nighttime hours?

Our staffing includes a nurse on site 24 hours a day. In memory care, there are 3 care givers during the day, and 2 overnight (26 residents.) Memory Care has a dedicated nurse daily. In assisted living, care staff are scheduled according to resident acuity and that can fluctuate based on our census. Overnight, there are 2 caregivers and a nurse to provide care and comfort as needed.

If Charter Senior Living of Woodholme Crossing accepts dogs or cats, what indoor/outdoor areas can they enjoy?

We do accept well behaved and housebroken pets. Cats must stay in the residents room. Small dogs are welcome. ( Under 25 pounds) We have a walking path on community grounds. Residents must be able to take care of their pet.

What ongoing senior care training does the staff receive?

Staff are required to participate in monthly online and in person training on a variety of topics related to seniors, health and wellness, resident rights, safety and dementia care. Training may vary depending on staff capacity/contact with residents.

How many staffers are on duty in the daytime and overnight?

Memory Care provides 2 caregivers overnight to offer care and comfort to residents with the common sleep disturbances associated with dementia. A nurse is on site overnight as well.

What safety features or security measures does Charter Senior Living of Woodholme Crossing provide to protect residents who wander?

Our assisted living community is focused on residents who would not be considered a wandering risk. All doors to the community are locked and alarmed from 8 AM to 8 PM daily. Residents who wander would be recommended to reside in our secured memory care. They have unrestricted access to the secure outdoor courtyard during daytime hours, weather permitting.

What programs or activities does Charter Senior Living of Woodholme Crossing offer to keep residents engaged? How does the staff engage residents' long-term memories?

Our FlourishSM programming is focused on supporting our residents where they are and can be individualized for maximum effectiveness and engagement. The schedule is a structured plan for each day that includes cognitive, social, musical, creative and individualized or cluster group programs throughout the day. Staff understand that engaging activity can take place during routine daily care as well as during planned and led activities. Staff engage with residents in a way that encourages fun as well as purposeful activity to minimize anxiety. Frequent snacks and hydration are offered.

The Health and Wellness Director oversees the entire clinical needs of residents. The HWD does an initial assessment at move in to determine care needs. Then, within 30 days or sooner,the resident is reassessed to confirm or change care as needed. After that, care is reassessed as needed due to changes that are reported by nursing and caregivers.

What techniques does Charter Senior Living of Woodholme Crossing use to support memory care residents during mealtimes?

Our memory care has developed a specialized dining program. We utilize aromatherapy as part of the program to signal the beginning of meals and to stimulate appetite. Choices are offered visually to assist residents with communication challenges. Caregivers are provided training in cueing and hand over hand or hand under hand dining techniques and to encourage independence.

How does Charter Senior Living of Woodholme Crossing keep residents' families informed about their loved ones' health?

see above same as AL

Describe the neighborhood around Charter Senior Living of Woodholme Crossing. Is it located in a residential neighborhood, a business district, a rural setting, or other type of locale?

We are located on Reisterstown Road, but our building sits back and has pretty walking grounds. Traffic noise is minimal. Access to the community is very convenient from 695.

Is Charter Senior Living of Woodholme Crossing affiliated with a hospital if more care is needed?

Costs for Charter Senior Living of Woodholme Crossing

Services and Amenities of Charter Senior Living of Woodholme Crossing

• Fee Structure Extra: Entry Fee Cost : $2500

• Companion Suites: Yes

• Pets: Small Pets Allowed Only

About Charter Senior Living of Woodholme Crossing

Assisted living and memory care community with an active programming department.

We have a wide array of activities to capture the imagination of our residents and spark familiar interests. Our dining menu is creative and can be personalized for resident preferences or dietary restrictions.

Map of Charter Senior Living of Woodholme Crossing