170 Assisted Living Facilities near Owings Mills, MD
There are 170 Assisted Living Facilities in the Owings Mills area, with 1 in Owings Mills and 169 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Owings Mills is $3,000 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,500. Cheaper nearby regions include Randallstown with an average starting cost of $2,000.
To help you with your search, browse the 403 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Owings Mills. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Owings Mills 4.1 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Randallstown with an average rating of 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Owings Mills, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Owings Mills, MD
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Owings Mills
Located in central Maryland, Owings Mills is a vibrant and diverse suburb of Baltimore. About 12 percent of the city's residents are senior citizens. For those seniors seeking assisted living, the Owings Mills area is home to at least 64 different assisted living communities, including those in nearby towns like Windsor Mill, Cockeysville and Gwynn Oak. Maryland's Department of Health and Mental Hygiene licenses and regulates all of these facilities as assisted living residences (ALRs).
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Owings Mills
- The cost of living in Owings Mills is almost the same as the Maryland state average, which is about 25 percent above the U.S. national average.
- The Owings Mills area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Northwest Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Owings Mills has a variety of attractions that may be of interest to seniors. For instance, there are close to a dozen major shopping centers that seniors may visit for an outing. Those who enjoy live shows can visit The Gordon Center for Performing Arts, a state of the art entertainment venue. Nature lovers, meanwhile, can explore the Irvine Nature Center.
- Owings Mills generally has hot summers with an average high temperature of 87 degrees Fahrenheit and chilly winters with an average low of 24 degrees Fahrenheit. According to Sperling's Best Places, Owings Mills has a "comfort index" of 56 out of 100, meaning that its climate is about as comfortable as the average U.S. city.
- Seniors considering an assisted living facility in the Owings Mills area should be aware that the city's personal and property crime rates are significantly higher than the national average. Overall, Owings Mills' crime rate is 71 percent higher than the state average.
- Maryland's tax policies are only moderately friendly toward retirees. The main benefit is that Social Security income is tax-free. However, other kinds of retirement income are taxable. Seniors who are planning their estates may also want to note that Maryland, unlike most states, has both estate and inheritance taxes.
Paying for Assisted Living in Owings Mills
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Maryland
Assisted Living costs in Owings Mills start around $3,000 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Owings Mills and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Owings Mills
Financial aid is available to those who qualify through Maryland's Medicaid Home and Community-Based Options Waiver program. For some facilities, the state also offers subsidies through the Senior Assisted Living Group Home Subsidy program.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Maryland page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Owings Mills
Owings Mills and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Owings Mills, please visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Owings Mills
Owings Mills-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Maryland are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near Owings Mills, MD
Other Options in Owings Mills, MD
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Owings Mills
Review of The Atrium Village
The care that my mom is getting at The Atrium Village is fine so far. She hasn't been complaining about it. We had breakfast there together, and it was actually good. Overall, she's enjoying everyt... Read more
Review of The Atrium Village
I toured The Atrium Village and I thought it was well run. I had the opportunity to meet all the people in charge of various departments, and they were all extremely professional, caring, and answe... Read more
Review of The Atrium Village
The Atrium Village was the best. I took time to locate the best community and the best price. It was my choice, but it didn't work out. The facility was excellent, the staff was excellent, the acti... Read more