Owings Mills is an unincorporated community about 30 minutes northwest of downtown Baltimore. According to the 2020 census, seniors aged 65 and older account for about 11.3% of the community’s 35,674 residents. The area’s appeal to older adults is enhanced by its below-average cost of living, excellent healthcare facilities, senior-friendly climate and the reduced-fee paratransit services available throughout Baltimore County. The area’s sparse population also makes it easier for seniors to get around and enjoy its wealth of parks, shops and restaurants.

Assisted living facilities in Owings Mills charge $5,000 per month on average, which is also the statewide median for Maryland. The fees typically include comfortable accommodation regularly cleaned by housekeeping staff and nutritious meals prepared by chefs. Facilities also tend to arrange activities and events for residents, which is why assisted living is best suited for semi-independent seniors who need assistance with some daily chores, such as cooking, but are otherwise able to enjoy physical pursuits without support.

This guide compares assisted living and other senior care costs in the region, discusses the pros and cons of living in Owings Mills and lists some of the area’s free and low-cost resources for seniors.

Directory of Assisted Living Facilities in Owings Mills, MD

2014, 2015, 2016

The Atrium Village

4730 Atrium Court, Owings Mills, MD, 21117

My mother is in Atrium Village. It’s an excellent place for one’s parents to be in. It’s an excellent residence for one’s senior years. The rooms are beautiful, beautifully well-kept, well designed, a … (read more)

2013

Charter Senior Living of Woodholme Crossing

1840 Reisterstown Road, Pikesville, MD, 21208

My father moved into Charter Senior Living of Woodholme Crossing the day after Thanksgiving. We chose this because my dad was able to see it himself, he was not able to see the other place. So I feel … (read more)

2016

Sunrise of Pikesville

3800 Old Court Road, Pikesville, MD, 21208

We went to Sunrise of Pikesville. It was very nice, but it was expensive. It’s very clean, the people were very mannered. Everybody was helpful. I love the nurses, the rooms were nice. I did like it. … (read more)

2014

Morningside House of Satyr Hill

8800 Old Harford Road, Parkville, MD, 21234

We did both a virtual and an in-person tour of Morningside House of Satyr Hill. My mom and I were both much more impressed with that one than the other facility we looked at. She likes to sit outside, … (read more)

Charter Senior Living of Towson

6451 N. Charles St, Baltimore, MD, 21212

We chose it for my sister. We liked the people there, the atmosphere, the pricing, and we worked with them to make it affordable. It was just the actual place and the people more than anything else th … (read more)

Morningside House of Ellicott City

5330 Dorsey Hall Drive, Ellicott City, MD, 20142

I visited both assisted living and memory care in Morningside House of Ellicott City. Everybody was polite. It was clean and beautiful. They had wonderful caregivers and the rooms were bright and big. … (read more)

Lighthouse Senior Living at Ellicott City

3100 N. Ridge Rd., Ellicott City, MD, 21043

Lighthouse is truly the place to choose for your loved one. Mom has been living there for nine months and has received wonderful care from an extraordinary and attentive staff. She raves about the de … (read more)

Tyrell’s Housing

3425 Chapman Road, Randallstown, MD, 21133

I recently visited the facility and was very impressed with the owners and staff. They took very special care of the property and residents in their care. Exemplary customer service, their staff was a … (read more)

The Waterfalls of Catonsville

305 N. Rolling Road, Catonsville, MD, 21228

From the moment we entered the front door of this beautifully renovated, charming, historic Catonsville home, we felt we were entering the home of a family! It was a cold and snowy February day when w … (read more)

The Mohawk Estate

2814 Mohawk Ave, Baltimore, MD, 21207

This facility is exceptionall! The staff works VERY close with us to ensure mom’s care needs are handled. She wasn’t very active, and veryy reluctant to transition into a facility. Now she’s become a … (read more)

God’s Way Only Assisted Living

511 Walker Ave, Baltimore, MD, 21212

Chemell and her staff have provided quality, professional care to my Uncle who suffers from multiple major health challenges. Chemell runs her facility with professionalism, empathy, compassion and at … (read more)

College Manor

300 W Seminary Ave, Lutherville Timonium, MD, 21093

The tour experience at College Manor was good. The staff was very good. We saw people playing games, bingo, and all kinds of stuff. The rooms were nice and clean. It was an older community.

Symphony Manor at Roland Park

4301 Roland Avenue, Baltimore, MD, 21210

My brother-in-law was at Symphony Manor for almost 2 years. EVERYDAY he got extraordinary care at every level. This is a place where staff took the time to get to know him (He had had a stroke), found … (read more)

Dulaney Valley Assisted Living at Hunt Valley

10815 Powers Avenue, Cockeysville, MD, 21030

The staff at Dulaney Valley is excellent to work with, and it was a good place. It’s a small group home, and everybody has a roommate except there are two private rooms. They have a nice size dining … (read more)

White Oak Village at Rosemar

2942 Rosemar Drive, Ellicott City, MD, 21043

My father currently resides at White Oak and I have been very happy with his care. The staff are extremely loyal, caring and kind. The residence is kept very clean and organized. They offer a number o … (read more)

Kind Heart Assisted Living

2519 Keyworth Ave, Baltimore, MD, 21215

Kind Heart Assisted Living was very pleasant. It’s a nice location, it’s clean, and very satisfactory as an assisted living place. The owner works full time as a nurse, and he’s started this up on his … (read more)

Perfect Home Care LLC

149 Westminster Pike, Reisterstown, MD, 21136

The staff is caring considerate and kind. The facility was super clean my mom was in love with the home. The Covid precautions had made my family feel extremely safe and comfortable. I would give 10 s … (read more)

Community Caregivers Assisted Living

3900 Norfolk Ave, Baltimore, MD, 21216

I toured Community Caregivers Assisted Living. Marché was very knowledgeable in what she was telling me. They were very clean, the rooms were very clean, and just upon entering the home, it was clean … (read more)

Shangrila Senior Living

4475 Montgomery Road, Ellicott City, MD, 21043

I was impressed with Shangrila Senior Living. It looked pretty clean and it looked like it had adequate staff to support the residents. I did not have too much interaction with the staff. I just had a … (read more)

Nova Springs

2261 Old Westminster Pike, Finksburg, MD, 21048

I toured Nova Springs. They were my first pick, and they still are. It was very clean, very functional, very open, and very cozy. I don’t think they had kitchenettes in the rooms, but the rooms were s … (read more)

What to Consider About Assisted Living in Owings Mills

The Office of Health Care Quality — a division of the Maryland Department of Health — monitors assisted living facilities throughout the state and issues licenses to those that comply with the guidelines and regulations. It also certifies those authorized to accept Medicare and Medicaid by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services.

Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Owings Mills

• The average cost of living in Owings Mills, although above the national average, is lower than normal for Maryland. According to Sperling’s Best Places, seniors in the area also enjoy below-average healthcare costs when compared to their peers across the country, although these costs are slightly above the state average.
  • The primary medical facility in Owings Mills is Northwest Hospital, but it’s not the only choice. Several of the country’s finest hospitals are within close range, such as Johns Hopkins, which is ranked fourth in the nation by U.S. News & World Report. Seniors in Owings Mills also benefit from a high number of Medicare-registered physicians working in most fields, including psychiatry, podiatry, orthopedic surgery, physical therapy and family medicine.
  • Despite January temperatures averaging at a chilly 24 degrees, the climate in Owings Mills is generally senior-friendly. The area’s seniors enjoy 10 more sunny days than the U.S. average of 205 and July temperatures that regularly reach a pleasant 87 degrees. At 44 inches, the above-average rainfall is enough to nourish the rich landscape and decorate the wide streets with a variety of trees.
  • Crime in Owings Mills is a little above average, although not significantly so. The chances of being a victim of a violent crime, according to Neighborhood Scout, is one in 188, while the figure for property crime is one in 42. Seniors concerned about crime should know that many of the area’s assisted living communities provide 24-hour security and have at least one staff member available at all times.
  • CountyRide is a reduced-cost transportation program for Baltimore County residents aged 60 and over. Seniors can use the paratransit service for any purpose, including attending medical appointments, making shopping trips and visiting family and friends. All vehicles can accommodate wheelchairs and escorts can ride at no extra cost with seniors who need their assistance.

Paying for Assisted Living in Owings Mills

On average, seniors in Owings Mills pay $5,000 per month for care in assisted living communities, according to the 2020 Genworth Cost of Care Survey. This is also the statewide average, although the U.S. median is $700 less at $4,300 per month.

The Cost of Assisted Living in Nearby Cities

The cost of assisted living in Owings Mills is about midrange compared to other communities across Maryland. Rates are lower in Hagerstown and Cumberland, where the respective averages are $4,500 and $4,665 per month. Costs are higher in Salisbury at $5,500, and even more expensive in California, where seniors pay $6,200, on average.

Owings Mills

Salisbury

$4665

Cumberland

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

Costs for other types of senior care vary significantly in Owings Mills. Home care averages $4,671 per month for 44 hours of weekly assistance, while home health care services cost $4,957. Adult day health care provided on weekdays in a group setting has the lowest cost at $1,896 per month. Nursing homes offer the most intensive care and therefore charge the highest fees. Here, seniors can expect to pay an average of $11,984 for shared accommodations and $12,805 for private rooms.

$4671

Home care

$4957

Home health care

$1896

Adult day health care

Assisted living

$11984

Nursing home (semiprivate room)

$12805

Nursing home (private room)

Note: Data for Owings Mills was unavailable, so data for the nearest city, Baltimore, was used instead.

Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Owings Mill

The state of Maryland pays for assisted living services in Level II and Level III ALPs through the Medicaid 1915(c)Home and Community-Based Options Waiver Program. There is also a Senior Assisted Living Group Home Subsidy Program funded by the state.

Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Maryland page.

Paying for Assisted Living Facilities in Maryland

More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living

• Veterans Benefits
  • Life Insurance Policy
  • Long-Term Care Insurance
  • Reverse Mortgage

For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page.

Free Assisted Living Resources in Owings Mill

Seniors in Owings Mills benefit from many free and low-cost programs and services designed to make their lives more comfortable. Through the following resources, seniors can get free advice about Medicare plans and other state and federal benefits, in addition to support if their care provider’s standards fall or if they need assistance obtaining medical equipment.

Resource

Contact

Service

(410) 887-2059

Funded by the state and federal governments, the SHIP program provides seniors in Owings Mills with free and impartial counseling on all matters concerning Medicare. This includes explaining the pros and cons of each plan in relation to the senior's unique circumstances and advising on supplementary private healthcare insurance. As the counselors are unbiased, seniors needn't worry about being sold specific plans. Additionally, the counselors can help seniors file appeals for denied Medicare claims.

Residents of assisted living communities who have issues about the quality of their care can file a complaint with the ombudsman, who will investigate and advocate on the senior's behalf to resolve the issue. Complaints can be of any nature, such as restricted dietary options in meals, but serious issues, such as elder abuse allegations, will be passed on to the appropriate authorities. The ombudsman can also supply copies of assisted living inspection reports so seniors can make more informed choices.

Service officers with the Maryland Department of Veterans Affairs Service and Benefits Program are available to help senior veterans access the benefits they've earned through their military service. Officers can advise vets on available state and federal benefits and assist with their applications. Benefits may include VA disability compensation, pensions and the Aid and Attendance pension supplement, which can be put toward assisted living expenses.

Baltimore County DOA's loan closet provides durable medical equipment to residents aged 60 in Owings Mills and over throughout the county. For a refundable deposit of $25, the department loans a range of equipment, dependent on what's available at the time of application. Examples include wheelchairs, walkers, bath rails and crutches.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Owings Mill

Owings Mill-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Maryland are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page for more information about these laws.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Maryland