191 Assisted Living Facilities near Gwynn Oak, MD
There are 191 Assisted Living Facilities in the Gwynn Oak area, with 2 in Gwynn Oak and 189 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Gwynn Oak is $1,650 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,480.
To help you with your search, browse the 541 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Gwynn Oak. Better rated regions include Windsor Mill with an average rating of 3.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Gwynn Oak, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Gwynn Oak, MD
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Gwynn Oak
From the 1890s Gwynn Oak was home to Gwynn Oak Amusement Park. The amusement park closed in the 1970s and the space is now a public park where seniors, approximately 16.7 percent of the population, may wish to stroll along the walking trails or enjoy a picnic by the pond.
There are 183 assisted living facilities in Gwynn Park and the surrounding area offering accommodation to seniors. These facilities are licensed and monitored by the Maryland Department of Health, Assisted Living Unit.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Gwynn Oak
- The Gwynn Oak area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Sinai Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Social Security Income is not subject to income tax in Maryland, while non-public pensions are fully taxed. Income from retirement accounts or public pensions is taxable but taxpayers aged 65 and over can claim a deduction. Sales taxes in the state are also lower than the national average, which can help seniors put more money towards their assisted living budget.
- Baltimore County, including Gwynn Oak, is a member of the AARP Network of Age-Friendly Communities, meaning that its elected leadership “has made the commitment to actively work toward making their town, city or county a great place for people of all ages,” according to AARP.
- Public transport in Gwynn Oak is provided by the Maryland Transit Administration (MTA). Passengers aged 65 and over with valid identification are eligible for discounted fares on MTA services. Some seniors may also be able to access the MTA's MobilityLink Program, which offers a shared-ride, door-to-door service to people unable to use the fixed-route service.
- Baltimore County, including Gwynn Oak, has mixed air quality. The county received an A grade for 24-hour particle pollution in the State of the Air 2018 report, but a failing grade for ozone pollution. Seniors with respiratory conditions may want to investigate how this may affect their health.
- Seniors in Gwynn Oak who are interested in the arts have access to Baltimore's thriving art and culture scene. Some seniors may wish to visit the Maryland Film Festival or see a show by the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra. Galleries such as The Baltimore Museum of Art and The Walters Art Museum offer art-lovers the chance to see both contemporary and historic works of art.
Paying for Assisted Living in Gwynn Oak
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Maryland
Assisted Living costs in Gwynn Oak start around $1,650 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Gwynn Oak and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Gwynn Oak
The Optional State Supplement is available to seniors in Gwynn Oak who are eligible for Social Security payments, or who would be eligible except for income. Maryland's Senior Assisted Living Group Home Subsidy also offers financial help to seniors in small assisted living facilities.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Maryland page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Gwynn Oak
Gwynn Oak and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Gwynn Oak, please visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Gwynn Oak
Gwynn Oak-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Maryland are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page for more information about these laws.