Nestled in Northern Maryland and surrounded by woodland trails, Carroll County is a great retirement choice for seniors looking for a quaint countryside lifestyle. While most of the area is rural, the county is within easy reach of both Baltimore and Washington, D.C. and their urban amenities. An estimated 30,000 out of the county’s 168,447 residents are aged 65 and over. Carroll County is rich in history and home to many parks, including Cape Horn Park and Freedom Park, and cultural places of interest, such as the Carroll County Farm Museum and W. R. Rudy’s Country Store & Drugstore Museum.

Seniors in Carroll County have a choice among over 28 assisted living communities, at an average monthly cost of $5,000. Prices for each facility can fluctuate based on services, amenities and location.

Directory of Assisted Living Facilities in Carroll County, MD

Lorien Taneytown

100 Antrim Blvd., Taneytown, MD, 21787

My mother moved into Lorien Taneytown and our experience so far is very good. Her accommodation is very nice (it’s a one-bedroom). Their staff was excellent; they have been going above and beyond. The … (read more)

Sunrise of Carroll

45 Washington Road, Westminster, MD, 21157

I like Sunrise of Carroll. It was a very nice place but it’s just too expensive for us. The place itself was nice as well as the upkeep, it was very clean, and you can tell that it’s run very well. Th … (read more)

2015

Brightview Westminster Ridge

505 High Acre Dr , Westminster, MD, 21157

I had my wife at Brightview Westminster Ridge for a month. I wasn’t very impressed. I ended up taking her out of there because after two weeks she developed a urinary tract infection and was sent to t … (read more)

Fairhaven

7200 Third Avenue, Sykesville, MD, 21784

My mother-in-law was a resident of Fairhaven for over five years and loved living there. My husband and I visited her frequently and we were both very happy with all aspects of her care. The staff mem … (read more)

Carroll Lutheran Village

300 St. Luke Circle, Westminster, MD, 21158

Carroll Lutheran Village was an excellent place. My mom is not there, but from what I could tell, everybody looked very professional, kind and caring. The apartments were very nice. Actually, I toured … (read more)

Sunflower Hill Assisted Living

416 Uniontown Road, Westminster, MD, 21158

We chose Sunflower Hill Assisted Living because a nurse owns it, it has a high reputation and I’ve had friends who had their parents there. I’ve been very pleased with the staff, they’re very kind and … (read more)

Lookabout Manor

1510 Stone Road, Westminster, MD, 21158

Look About Manor, in my opinion, is not what I think of when I imagine assisted living, it is many times better. The number of residents is small and each person is given a level of individual care th … (read more)

Golden Crest Corporation Iv

1777 Nelson Road, Westminster, MD, 21157

Golden Crest Assisted Living (Golden Crest Corporation IV) is a very nice place, and I would recommend it to anyone. The staff is absolutely wonderful. There hasn’t been any complaints at all. Mom enj … (read more)

Bethania Care Home, Inc

1305 Uniontown Road, Westminster, MD, 21158

Bethania Care Home’s rooms were clean and had sufficient furniture, but the residents wouldn’t have their own bathroom and would have to share with one other person at least. They have a very clean fa … (read more)

Transitions Healthcare Oakland Manor

2810 Kaywood Place, Sykesville, MD 21784, Sykesville, MD, 21784

My mother-in-law has been in Transitions for 3 months now, and it’s been great. She’s been doing fine, they care for her very well, and she has her own room. There are about 50 people there. They have … (read more)

Senior Constant Care

1200 West Old Liberty Road, Sykesville, MD, 21784

My uncle was in Senior Constant Care until he passed away. It was a lot smaller as a facility. My uncle was there for quite some time, and they took good care of him.

Hidden Treasure

564 Marshall Dr, , Westminster, MD, 21157

My aunt is in Hidden Treasures. I liked that the employer also works there. She is very nice, caring, and very devoted to the residents. The food is excellent, outstanding, and it is homemade. They ca … (read more)

Sun Valley at The Woods

3830 Baker Road , Westminster, MD, 21157

My mother stayed at The Woods of Sun Valley, and it was pretty nice. However, my mother went out, and they did not notice that she was gone. They moved her to the unit for dementia patients. I didn’t … (read more)

Sun Valley at The Meadows

4113 Ridge Rd, Westminster, MD, 21157

I was recently at Sun Valley Assisted Living. It was a very nice facility. It was very good and the people were very friendly. The staff was wonderful and worked very hard. The food was quite good, bu … (read more)

North Pines Assisted Living

3316 Wilhelm Lane, Manchester, MD, 21102

Since placing Mom at North Pines in October 2020, we have had an exceptional experience. Mom has her own room for privacy. Before this, she lived on her own which was an extremely lonely situation for … (read more)

Country Companions Assisted Living, Inc.

3217 Bert Koontz Road, Taneytown, MD, 21787

Country Companions was just assisted living ,and they said they could handle memory care, but they didn’t let us know that they could only handle Level 3. It was good, but it didn’t have enough staff … (read more)

Golden Crest Assisted Living

4110 St. Paul Road, Hampstead, MD, 21074

I visited Golden Crest Assisted Living, and it was extremely bad. The place was nice, but the problem was one of the administrators. She was terrible. She said they do not want me to come back. I only … (read more)

Sun Valley at Ridge Overlook

3816 Ridge Road, Westminster, MD, 21157

My mother transferred to Ridge Overlook, but my sister and I didn’t really care for it. It’s not really bad on the outside, but on the inside, we didn’t really care for it. The staff was nice. We t … (read more)

Country Acres Assisted Living

2470 Collison Dr., Westminster, MD, 21157

Country Acres Assisted Living just looks like a regular house, the residents were all eating in a regular dining table in the kitchen. It was small and cramped to me. The only staff that I saw there w … (read more)

Golden Crest Corporation Ii

4019 Evergreen Drive, Hampstead, MD, 21074

Paying for Assisted Living in Carroll County

As Carroll County borders Baltimore County, it’s likely that it shares its average monthly price of $5,000 for assisted living, per the Genworth 2020 Cost of Care Survey. The median cost for assisted living in Carroll County is the same as the state’s and $700 above the national average.

The Cost of Assisted Living in Nearby Cities

Because Carroll County is also on the border with Pennsylvania, it may be useful to compare the costs of assisted living there with cities across state lines. In Gettysburg and York, Pennsylvania, the respective assisted living median costs of $3,443 and $4,260 are notably lower than in Carroll County.

Within Maryland and west of Carroll County, in areas including Hagerstown ($4,500) and Cumberland ($4,665), assisted living prices are more affordable. However, in the southeastern city of Salisbury, assisted living costs $500 more per month than in Carroll County. On the other side of the state, in the southwestern town of California, assisted living is $1,200 more expensive than in Carroll County. The county may not be the most affordable place in the state for assisted living, but the average cost is equivalent to the Maryland median price. Additionally, the area is an attractive retirement destination thanks to its array of senior-friendly recreational options, programs and cultural amenities.

$5000

Salisbury

$6200

California

Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Carroll County

Seniors in the Maryland area may be eligible for assistance with funding from the Senior Assisted Living Group Home Subsidy program

Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Maryland page.

Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Carroll County

More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living

• Veterans Benefits
  • Life Insurance Policy
  • Long-Term Care Insurance
  • Reverse Mortgage

For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page.

Free Assisted Living Resources in Carroll County

ResourceContact Service
Maryland Access Point (MAP) of Carroll County(410) 386-3800Carroll County’s Maryland Access Point is managed by the Bureau of Aging and Disabilities and is the first point of contact between seniors and countywide programs. Seniors can contact MAP for information and referrals to services such as insurance counseling, financial help for assisted living and contact with local senior centers.
Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program of Carroll County(410) 386-3600The county’s Long-Term Care Ombudsman program can help seniors and their caregivers locate a suitable assisted living facility, investigate resident complaints and mediate conflicts. Volunteers with the program advocate on behalf of seniors and inspect assisted living communities and other facilities to ensure they meet statewide care standards.
Maryland Legal Aid Midwestern Maryland Office(301) 694-7414Seniors in Carroll County can get in touch with the Midwestern Maryland Office for pro bono legal services and advice. Lawyers with the program offer telephone and in-person consultations and in some cases, free representation. Older adults can get advice on civil matters including family law, living wills and financial benefits.
The Consumer Guide to Long-Term Care(410) 764-3460The Consumer Guide to Long-Term Care is a free directory put together by the state’s Health Care Commission. Older adults can receive advice about assisted living communities in Carroll County, find out what their long-term care options are and obtain advice on financial assistance.
Living Healthy, Living Well in Carroll County(410) 386-3818This countywide program provides a series of online classes and materials for seniors. Workshops include classes on managing chronic illness, preventing falls and managing pain. Additionally, older adults can receive several helpful tool kits in the mail. The classes are usually available on a rotating schedule, and participants need to sign up in advance.
The Maryland Department of Veterans Affairs(410) 260-3838The state’s VA department offers many services to older adults who served in the military. VA representatives can help veteran seniors identify and apply for state and federal military pensions and compensation. Additional services include veterans’ health care and referral to local VA centers.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Carroll County

Carroll County-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Maryland are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page for more information about these laws.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Carroll County