Located between Baltimore and Washington, D.C., Howard County is a lively region considered one of the best places to live in the whole country. It has a population of 325,690 with a low number of seniors compared to the national average. The county is home to a smattering of charming towns and villages as well as a range of natural terrain, including rivers, lakes and waterfalls. Howard County has several historic attractions, such as Belmont Manor & Historic Park, a former colonial plantation. Close proximity to Baltimore gives senior sports fans a chance to watch professional teams in their home arenas.

Throughout Howard County, there are dozens of assisted living facilities. They have an average monthly cost of $5,000, which is the same as the state average but higher than the national average of $4,300.

Directory of Assisted Living Facilities in Howard County, MD

2015, 2016

Harmony Hall

6336 Cedar Lane, Columbia, MD, 21044

My mother lived at Harmony Hall for 21 years. She had medical conditions that made it unsafe for her to live alone, but she didn’t want to live with her children. She started in independent living a … (read more)

2016

Sunrise of Columbia

6500 Freetown Road, Columbia, MD, 21044

Sunrise of Columbia seemed like a very welcoming community and the people were very friendly and anxious to meet my mom and to introduce her around. It was very clean and bright, and the apartments th … (read more)

2015

Brighton Gardens of Columbia

7110 Minstrel Way, Columbia, MD, 21045

We visited Brighton Gardens of Columbia for my mom. It was great. I was really pleased with everything that I saw. The people there were very, very nice. I met a lot of the staff, and a lot of them ha … (read more)

Arbor Terrace Fulton

11584 Scaggsville Rd, Fulton, MD, 20759

My mother will be moving into Arbor Terrace Fulton. It’s a very active community and the residents seem to be very involved and socially engaged. We’re just coming out of starting to move out of the C … (read more)

Bryant Woods Manor

10461 Waterfowl Terrace, Columbia, MD, 21044

We viewed Bryant Woods Manor assisted living home for our mother and we were quite impressed by the spaciousness and cleanliness. My mother is starting dementia and we are attempting to place in a as … (read more)

Shangrila Senior Living

4475 Montgomery Road, Ellicott City, MD, 21043

We went to Shangrila Senior Living. It’s a very small facility, but the people are very, very friendly and very, very genuine. They have a Montessori school that’s close by and the children interact w … (read more)

Lighthouse Senior Living at Ellicott City

3100 N. Ridge Rd., Ellicott City, MD, 21043

Just want to let you know how insanely happy our family member is living at Lighthouse! He told us this weekend how much he loves it there. But I have to say, I think the best thing about it is… T … (read more)

Country Gardens Assisted Living

12752 Scaggsville Rd, Highland, MD, 20777

Second Home Senior Living

3255 Roscommon Drive, Glenelg, MD, 21737

2014, 2015

Heartlands at Ellicott City Senior Living Village

3004 North Ridge Road, Ellicott City, MD, 21043

Heartlands at Ellicott City is a continuing care community with cottages and different sized apartments. We went to a 1-bedroom with a den, it was nice, and had a little kitchen, dining area, and a li … (read more)

Elternhaus, Inc. Assisted Living

4201 Linthicum Road, Dayton, MD, 21036

This facility is a very caring facility. Soma, who is the nurse, cook, etc who takes care of my Dad, does an excellent job and Tim, the owner/director and Charilyn makes sure all residents stay healt … (read more)

Encore at Turf Valley

11150 Resort Road, Ellicott City, MD, 21042

The rooms are spacious but warm and inviting. The views are sunny and pleasant. Bathrooms are well appointed as is the kitchen area. The staff is engaged with the residents and very respectful of thei … (read more)

2021

Ivy Manor Normandy II

2928 Normandy Drive, Ellicott City, MD, 21043

My mother has been a resident at Ivy Manor for more than 5 years. My family and I tried many ways to care for my mom. We tried to have a caretaker in the home and we tried to take care of her in ou … (read more)

Morningside House of Ellicott City

5330 Dorsey Hall Drive, Ellicott City, MD, 21042

This place has really gone down hill and I cannot recommend. Prior to Covid there were some issues with lack of communication, coordination and delayed responses from certain personnel to get back to … (read more)

Angel’s Touch Assisted Living

12799 Buttercup Court, West Friendship, MD, 21794

I looked at several Assisted Living Homes for my mom before choosing Angel’s Touch. Mark W., the owner and manager of Angel’s Touch, truly cares about his residents. They are really part of his fami … (read more)

Winter Growth

5460 Ruth Keeton Way, Columbia, MD, 21044

Chestnut Hill Manor

8205 Tyson Road, Ellicott City, MD, 21043

Chestnut Hill Manor is a small home. I’m impressed with the owner and her qualifications. My relative has only been there for two weeks, and from what I’ve seen, it seems like the staff members ar … (read more)

Vantage House

5400 Vantage Point Road, Columbia, MD, 21044

Vantage House has independent living, assisted living, and a nursing home facility. My mom will have a bracelet on at all times, so if there’s an emergency, the staff will be able to assist her immedi … (read more)

Montclaire Manor, Inc

11805 Wayne Ridge Street, Fulton, MD, 20759

The Montclaire Manor was suggested by a social worker from a hospital my mom was in, so I went with it. Mom seems to like the community, so we’re going to leave her there. It’s working out well fo … (read more)

Paying for Assisted Living in Howard County

As part of the greater Baltimore metropolis, Howard County shares the area’s average assisted living price, which comes to $5,000 per month. This is the same as the Maryland average according to Genworth’s 2020 Cost of Care Survey. Assisted living in Howard County is more expensive than the national average of $4,300 per month.

The Cost of Assisted Living in Nearby Cities

Assisted living prices within Maryland vary, and costs in Howard County are right on the median. On the border with Delaware, Salisbury has higher costs of $5,500. On the banks of the Chesapeake Bay, California has the highest assisted living prices in the state. At $6,200, it’s a full $1,200 per month more expensive than Howard County. Further inland, Hagerstown has the lowest costs at $4,500. At $4,665 per month, the nearby Cumberland area has similar assisted living prices. Seniors can find more affordable long-term care costs in neighboring Virginia where the Winchester area averages $4,304 and Blacksburg averages $4,000. Virginia’s capital Richmond has even lower assisted living prices with a monthly median of $3,645.

$5000

Salisbury

$6200

California

Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Howard County

Seniors in the Maryland area may be eligible for assistance with funding from the Senior Assisted Living Group Home Subsidy program

Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Maryland page.

Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Howard County

More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living

• Veterans Benefits
  • Life Insurance Policy
  • Long-Term Care Insurance
  • Reverse Mortgage

For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page.

Free Assisted Living Resources in Howard County

ResourceContact Service
Howard County Office on Aging and Independence(410) 313-1234Seniors throughout the county can rely on this organization for supportive services, such as advocacy and education. A loan closet offers free access to medical equipment and assistive technology, and an elder abuse prevention initiative has information on fraud and other common forms of exploitation. Experts are on hand to provide health insurance counseling and long-term care placement, and a resource center connects elders with services to meet a variety of needs.
Annapolis Vet Center(410) 605-7826Part of the federal Veterans Affairs network, this center connects service members with vital resources and records. Referrals to mental health care, medical care, pharmaceutical services and laboratory tests are available through this government body. The center also offers a variety of benefits and entitlement programs for education, housing and health care.
Ellicott City 50+ Center(410) 313-1400This and other senior centers throughout the county act as hubs for socialization and entertainment. Adults over 60 are invited to participate in low-impact exercise classes, hobby workshops and art classes. This senior center also offers cooking and nutrition education as well as chronic disease management classes. Music classes promote cognitive and mental wellness while technology courses help seniors stay connected with family and friends.
Maryland Legal Aid(410) 972-2700Qualified attorneys volunteer their time to this organization to help seniors and low-income individuals with legal issues. Seniors can get help dealing with debt collection, tax issues and other consumer matters as well as planning long-term care and obtaining access to health insurance. Representation is available for cases of elder abuse, and assistance is available for the creation of wills and care directives.
Neighbor Ride(410) 884-7433Neighbor Ride is a volunteer-based transportation service dedicated to helping Howard County seniors remain mobile and active. By appointment, older adults can get free rides to and from medical appointments and errands. Transportation is also available to social and worship gatherings.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Howard County

Howard County-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Maryland are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page for more information about these laws.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Howard County