150 Assisted Living Facilities near Baltimore, MD
With an average cost of $3,188 in Baltimore, it’s often difficult to find assisted living communities that provide high-quality care at an affordable price. At Caring.com, our mission is to make this process as smooth and painless as possible, and we’ve helped many families along the way.
This guide provides everything you need to quickly compare communities and narrow your search, including 149 unique reviews from residents and our comprehensive database that gives pricing, amenity information, photos and more on the 108 facilities in Baltimore.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Baltimore, MD
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Baltimore
Baltimore is known as Charm City, and for good reason too, it's full of things to see and do. Seniors can spend time exploring museums, such as the Antique Toy Museum and the Baltimore Street Car Museum, going to the theater or catching a Baltimore Orioles game and these are just some of the adventures found close to area assisted living facilities.
The Baltimore area has a whopping 104 senior living facilities that provide residents with assistance with their activities of daily living, including help completed daily chores and assistance with grooming, dressing and eating. These are all regulated by the Maryland Department of Health to ensure facilities meet the state's community maintenance and level of care regulations.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Baltimore
- Summers in Maryland are generally hot and humid. Winters are usually quite cold, but prolonged cold spells are uncommon. With an average low of 29 degrees Fahrenheit, winters in Baltimore could be an issue for seniors who enjoy life outdoors.
- Baltimore has received a rating of F in ozone pollution from the American Lung Foundation, which means the city's air is significantly polluted. This could pose problems for seniors with breathing difficulties.
- The cost of living in Baltimore is 39 percent higher than the national average. Baltimore is ranked as the 10th, out of a total of 28, the most expensive city in the state to live in, making it one of the least affordable areas in Maryland.
- Baltimore has arts and cultural several attractions for seniors to explore. The Joseph Meyerhoff Symphony Hall hosts over 100 concerts per year performed by the world-renowned Baltimore Symphony Orchestra. Seniors can also enjoy various restaurants in Little Italy and Greektown and explore fine art exhibits at the Jewish Museum of Maryland.
- The Baltimore area is home to world-class medical facilities, including The Johns Hopkins Hospital and the Mercy Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Baltimore has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Hatton Senior Center, an organization that acts as a social hub for local seniors, as well as 13 other senior centers.
Paying for Assisted Living in Baltimore
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Maryland
Assisted Living costs in Baltimore start around $3,254 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Baltimore and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Baltimore
Seniors in the Maryland area may be eligible for assistance with funding from the Senior Assisted Living Group Home Subsidy program.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Maryland page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Baltimore
Baltimore and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Baltimore, please visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Baltimore
Baltimore-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Maryland are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Baltimore, MD
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Baltimore
Review of The Cottages of Perry Hall
My brother is in The Cottages of Perry Hall. We're very pleased with them, they take very good care of him, and the staff is very good, and very efficient. Every time we'd call and check on him, th... Read more
Review of Mohawk Estate Assisted Living
The manager was exceptional from the first phone discussion up until my mom moved in. She made the whole process easy. The home has great upgrades and the other residents welcomed my mom with ope... Read more
Review of Maine Manor Assisted Living
My mother moved into Maine Manor Assisted Living. I was familiar with the location. They toured the place and took pictures for my mother. The owner of the facility came to our home on that same da... Read more