Timonium is a family-friendly city in Baltimore County with bicycle-friendly roads and seven parks that are open daily. Approximately 2,900 seniors call the city home. With excellent hospitals, convenient transportation and tax breaks for those who qualify, Timonium is a good choice for some seniors looking for a place to retire.

Assisted living communities are one long-term care option for those who need assistance with daily living but prefer to live as independently as possible. These communities offer nursing care, prepared meals, housekeeping and medication management services. Most also have a calendar of activities to keep seniors engaged. The average cost of assisted living communities in Timonium is $5,000 per month. This is the same as the state average but more than the national average.

This guide discusses the cost of assisted living throughout the state as well as the costs for other types of care. It also covers several programs and services that cater to seniors in the area.

Directory of Assisted Living Facilities in Timonium, MD

St. Stephen’s Green Assisted Living

2525 Pot Spring Road, Timonium, MD, 21093

Mercy Ridge is a beautiful area. The buildings, the grounds, the staff, and the inside are very nice, including the cleanliness, the apartment, the furniture, the common areas, the way they are set up … (read more)

Brightview Mays Chapel Ridge

12261 Roundwood Road, Timonium, MD, 21093

My mom has been in Brightview Mays Chapel Ridge. It was not the cheapest, but every time I went there the residents seemed pretty engaged. They had a lot of activities going on, and the people looked … (read more)

2014, 2015, 2016

The Atrium Village

4730 Atrium Court, Owings Mills, MD, 21117

My mother is in Atrium Village. It’s an excellent place for one’s parents to be in. It’s an excellent residence for one’s senior years. The rooms are beautiful, beautifully well-kept, well designed, a … (read more)

2013

Charter Senior Living of Woodholme Crossing

1840 Reisterstown Road, Pikesville, MD, 21208

My father moved into Charter Senior Living of Woodholme Crossing the day after Thanksgiving. We chose this because my dad was able to see it himself, he was not able to see the other place. So I feel … (read more)

2016

Sunrise of Pikesville

3800 Old Court Road, Pikesville, MD, 21208

We went to Sunrise of Pikesville. It was very nice, but it was expensive. It’s very clean, the people were very mannered. Everybody was helpful. I love the nurses, the rooms were nice. I did like it. … (read more)

2014

Morningside House of Satyr Hill

8800 Old Harford Road, Parkville, MD, 21234

Mom has been a resident since 2019 and is doing well. There are some super staff members who really care for the residents. There are frequent activities to keep residents socially engaged. Th … (read more)

Charter Senior Living of Towson

6451 N. Charles St, Baltimore, MD, 21212

We chose it for my sister. We liked the people there, the atmosphere, the pricing, and we worked with them to make it affordable. It was just the actual place and the people more than anything else th … (read more)

Lighthouse Senior Living at Hopkins Creek

1813 Old Eastern Ave, Baltimore, MD, 21221

I liked Lighthouse Senior Living at Hopkins Creek, I thought it was very nice and pleasant. The marketing director gave me a wonderful tour. It seemed a lot bigger to me than it looked from the outsid … (read more)

Tyrell’s Housing

3425 Chapman Road, Randallstown, MD, 21133

I recently visited the facility and was very impressed with the owners and staff. They took very special care of the property and residents in their care. Exemplary customer service, their staff was a … (read more)

Angel Core Home of Care

4304 Parkmont Avenue, Baltimore, MD, 21206

The Angel Core Home of Care was great. Everybody had their own room. It was perfect. It’s Angela’s home; it was her place. It was so much like home. They had individual rooms, which is great. Her spot … (read more)

The Mohawk Estate

2814 Mohawk Ave, Baltimore, MD, 21207

This facility is exceptionall! The staff works VERY close with us to ensure mom’s care needs are handled. She wasn’t very active, and veryy reluctant to transition into a facility. Now she’s become a … (read more)

College Manor

300 W Seminary Ave, Lutherville Timonium, MD, 21093

The tour experience at College Manor was good. The staff was very good. We saw people playing games, bingo, and all kinds of stuff. The rooms were nice and clean. It was an older community.

Woodlands Assisted Living

1320 Windlass Drive, Baltimore, MD, 21220

Woodlands Assisted Living is located near State Route 700 in a charming residential area just northwest of Baltimore, MD. Visitors and family members give the facility positive reviews for its clean e … (read more)

Symphony Manor at Roland Park

4301 Roland Avenue, Baltimore, MD, 21210

My brother-in-law was at Symphony Manor for almost 2 years. EVERYDAY he got extraordinary care at every level. This is a place where staff took the time to get to know him (He had had a stroke), found … (read more)

The Cottages of Perry Hall

9900 Walther Boulevard, Baltimore, MD, 21234

I like The Cottages of Perry Hall. I like the fact that it was more of a family setting. I didn’t meet everyone, but from what I saw, the staff members seemed nice. They said they had an activity coor … (read more)

Dulaney Valley Assisted Living at Hunt Valley

10815 Powers Avenue, Cockeysville, MD, 21030

The staff at Dulaney Valley is excellent to work with, and it was a good place. It’s a small group home, and everybody has a roommate except there are two private rooms. They have a nice size dining … (read more)

Perfect Home Care LLC

149 Westminster Pike, Reisterstown, MD, 21136

The staff is caring considerate and kind. The facility was super clean my mom was in love with the home. The Covid precautions had made my family feel extremely safe and comfortable. I would give 10 s … (read more)

Community Caregivers Assisted Living

3900 Norfolk Ave, Baltimore, MD, 21216

I toured Community Caregivers Assisted Living. Marché was very knowledgeable in what she was telling me. They were very clean, the rooms were very clean, and just upon entering the home, it was clean … (read more)

Woodholme Gardens

1700 Woodholme Avenue, Pikesville, MD, 21208

I went to Woodholme Gardens. It was very nice, and the young man was nice as well. The apartments had a sink. It was a shower with a bed, and then there was the area where she could sit, and where she … (read more)

Optimum Care Homes LLC

1906 Cecil Avenue, Baltimore, MD, 21218

My mother has stayed there now for almost a year. Clean environment. Friendly staff. Happy we were able to get her in this place.

What to Consider About Assisted Living in Timonium

In Timonium and throughout the state of Maryland, the Office of Health Care Quality of the Maryland Department of Health regulates assisted living communities. Its laws and regulations cover staffing, health and safety, home-and community-based services and treatment.

Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Timonium

• Seniors living in Timonium have access to several quality hospitals, including Union Memorial Health, John Hopkins Health Care and Surgery Center and Mercy Medical.
  • Timonium enjoys approximately 213 sunny days per year, which is more than the national average. Summers are hot, with average July highs around 87 degrees F and January lows are around 25 degrees F. Mild year-round weather allows seniors plenty of opportunities for enjoying nature and sightseeing.
  • According to the annual BestPlaces Air Quality Index, the air quality in Timonium is just slightly lower than the U.S. average but still considered good. Seniors with respiratory problems may experience fewer occurrences of illness when living in the city.
  • Timonium is moderately tax-friendly for seniors looking for an affordable place to retire. Social Security income isn’t taxed, and wages and withdrawals from retirement accounts are only partially taxed.
  • Baltimore County CountyRide is available for seniors who need transportation to medical appointments and errands. The service is available for those 60 and older or for those 18 to 59 with disabilities.

Paying for Assisted Living in Timonium

According to Genworth’s 2020 Cost of Care Survey, the average monthly cost of assisted living in Timonium is $5,000. This is the same as the state average and $700 more than the national average.

The Cost of Assisted Living in Nearby Cities

At $5,000 per month, assisted living in Timonium is similar in cost to cities across the state. In Salisbury, assisted living costs $500 more per month, while Cumberland and Hagerstown are slightly less expensive at $4,665 and $4,500, respectively. The actual cost can vary depending on the number of amenities and the size of the community.

Timonium

Hagerstown

$5500

Salisbury

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

Assisted living is not the only option seniors have for long-term care. Homemaker services at $4,671 and home health aide services at $4,957 allow seniors to remain in their homes. Adult day health care provides supervision during daytime hours and is the least expensive option at $1,896. For more comprehensive care, a semiprivate room in a nursing home costs around $11,984, while a private room costs $12,805.

$4671

Homemaker Services

$4957

Home Health Aide

$1896

Adult Day Health Care

Assisted Living

$11984

Nursing Home Facility (semiprivate room)

$12805

Nursing Home Facility (private room)

Note: Data for Timonium was unavailable, so data for the nearest city, Baltimore, was used instead.

Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Timonium

For seniors with moderate or low income, Medicaid Home and Community-Based Services (HCBS) and state-funded Senior Assisted Living Group Home Subsidy programs can help with assisted living costs. Elderly residents eligible for Medicaid or Medical Assistance may receive an assessment to determine whether their ALP needs are high enough. If so, the Community Options Waiver can help with assisted living costs.

Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Maryland page.

Paying for Assisted Living Facilities in Maryland

More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living

• Veterans Benefits
  • Life Insurance Policy
  • Long-Term Care Insurance
  • Reverse Mortgage

For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page.

Free Assisted Living Resources in Timonium

In Timonium, many different services cater to the needs of seniors in the area. Many of these programs are free or offered at low cost and focus on improving the general quality of life of those in long-term care.

Resource

Contact

Service

The MSRN connects senior citizens and their loved ones with experienced professionals in the area. This service directory includes information on insurance, treatments, patient advocates, volunteers, hearing devices, legal services and discounted medication.

The Baltimore City Health Department Aging Services offers more than 20 programs for senior adults and those with disabilities. These include case management, safety and protection information and connections to volunteer opportunities.

The Maryland Department of Aging protects the rights of older adults in the community and prevents abuse, neglect and exploitation. The agency also supports and encourages older adults by helping them make informed decisions about health care and insurance. It also finances services that support seniors who reside in long-term care facilities.

Maryland’s Senior Legal Services office provides free legal advice to the elderly on topics including abuse and exploitation. It can also assist with most civil matters.

The Cockeysville Senior Center provides a safe place for seniors to gather during the day to take part in programs and services. A fitness center on-site promotes exercise, and other events include ice cream socials, shrimp fest and concerts.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Timonium

Timonium-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Maryland are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page for more information about these laws.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Maryland