Cockeysville, a small area in Baltimore County, Maryland, is home to approximately 24,000 people. About 3,000 residents are aged 65 or older and enjoy all that this region has to offer. Seniors who want outdoor activities and like watching the seasons change may enjoy the relatively mild winters in Cockeysville, with its average annual snowfall of only 22 inches. With easy access to renowned hospitals such as Johns Hopkins Hospital and the nationally ranked health care providers at the University of Maryland Medical Center, seniors enjoy some of the best health care access in the country.

As seniors enjoy retirement, they may need a helping hand with daily activities such as getting dressed or driving. For long-term care, assisted living is often ideal for seniors who need help but don’t need daily nursing care. Assisted living costs an average of $5,000 per month in Cockeysville, the same as the state norm.

This guide gives an overview of life in Cockeysville and assisted living options. Keep reading to learn about the costs, benefits and drawbacks of retiring in this Baltimore suburb and explore free local resources available to seniors.

Directory of Assisted Living Facilities in Cockeysville, MD

Dulaney Valley Assisted Living at Hunt Valley

10815 Powers Avenue, Cockeysville, MD, 21030

The staff at Dulaney Valley is excellent to work with, and it was a good place. It’s a small group home, and everybody has a roommate except there are two private rooms. They have a nice size dining … (read more)

Commonwealth Senior Living at Cockeysville

10881/10883 York Road, Cockeysville, MD, 21030

It was my first time to CSLC to visit my Mom; it was a surprise for her birthday! As I rounded the bend onto the property, a calm euphoria enveloped me: the beautiful trees and foliage, the sun shini … (read more)

Broadmead

13801 York Road, Cockeysville, MD, 21030

We chose this community because after visiting about 3 other retirement communities in Baltimore County, Broadmead was the best organized and was the cleanest. The apartments are really nice and have … (read more)

Maryland Masonic Homes

300 International Circle, Cockeysville, MD, 21030

Maryland Masonic Homes is very nice. They got nice stuff there, and it is very fine. It is for my mother, and she seems satisfied with the food. They have old people stuff like bingo and other activit … (read more)

2014, 2015, 2016

The Atrium Village

4730 Atrium Court, Owings Mills, MD, 21117

My mother is in Atrium Village. It’s an excellent place for one’s parents to be in. It’s an excellent residence for one’s senior years. The rooms are beautiful, beautifully well-kept, well designed, a … (read more)

2013

Charter Senior Living of Woodholme Crossing

1840 Reisterstown Road, Pikesville, MD, 21208

My father moved into Charter Senior Living of Woodholme Crossing the day after Thanksgiving. We chose this because my dad was able to see it himself, he was not able to see the other place. So I feel … (read more)

2016

Sunrise of Pikesville

3800 Old Court Road, Pikesville, MD, 21208

We went to Sunrise of Pikesville. It was very nice, but it was expensive. It’s very clean, the people were very mannered. Everybody was helpful. I love the nurses, the rooms were nice. I did like it. … (read more)

2014

Morningside House of Satyr Hill

8800 Old Harford Road, Parkville, MD, 21234

We did both a virtual and an in-person tour of Morningside House of Satyr Hill. My mom and I were both much more impressed with that one than the other facility we looked at. She likes to sit outside, … (read more)

Charter Senior Living of Towson

6451 N. Charles St, Baltimore, MD, 21212

We chose it for my sister. We liked the people there, the atmosphere, the pricing, and we worked with them to make it affordable. It was just the actual place and the people more than anything else th … (read more)

Tyrell’s Housing

3425 Chapman Road, Randallstown, MD, 21133

I recently visited the facility and was very impressed with the owners and staff. They took very special care of the property and residents in their care. Exemplary customer service, their staff was a … (read more)

The Mohawk Estate

2814 Mohawk Ave, Baltimore, MD, 21207

This facility is exceptionall! The staff works VERY close with us to ensure mom’s care needs are handled. She wasn’t very active, and veryy reluctant to transition into a facility. Now she’s become a … (read more)

College Manor

300 W Seminary Ave, Lutherville Timonium, MD, 21093

The tour experience at College Manor was good. The staff was very good. We saw people playing games, bingo, and all kinds of stuff. The rooms were nice and clean. It was an older community.

Angel Core Home Of Care

4719 Elison Avenue, Baltimore, MD, 21206

We went to tour Angel Core Home of Care. We really liked that one. The staff was excellent. The place was nice, but they had stairs. After visiting, we chose the one that didn’t have stairs just for s … (read more)

Symphony Manor at Roland Park

4301 Roland Avenue, Baltimore, MD, 21210

My brother-in-law was at Symphony Manor for almost 2 years. EVERYDAY he got extraordinary care at every level. This is a place where staff took the time to get to know him (He had had a stroke), found … (read more)

The Cottages of Perry Hall

9900 Walther Boulevard, Baltimore, MD, 21234

I like The Cottages of Perry Hall. I like the fact that it was more of a family setting. I didn’t meet everyone, but from what I saw, the staff members seemed nice. They said they had an activity coor … (read more)

Kind Heart Assisted Living

2519 Keyworth Ave, Baltimore, MD, 21215

Kind Heart Assisted Living was very pleasant. It’s a nice location, it’s clean, and very satisfactory as an assisted living place. The owner works full time as a nurse, and he’s started this up on his … (read more)

KP Assisted Living

3811 White Avenue, Baltimore, MD, 21206

I visited KP assisted living for my 89 year old mom. I really loved the neighborhood and enjoyed the activity sheet for the residents knowing that my mom would have lots of activities to occupy her… … (read more)

Perfect Home Care LLC

149 Westminster Pike, Reisterstown, MD, 21136

The staff is caring considerate and kind. The facility was super clean my mom was in love with the home. The Covid precautions had made my family feel extremely safe and comfortable. I would give 10 s … (read more)

Community Caregivers Assisted Living

3900 Norfolk Ave, Baltimore, MD, 21216

I toured Community Caregivers Assisted Living. Marché was very knowledgeable in what she was telling me. They were very clean, the rooms were very clean, and just upon entering the home, it was clean … (read more)

Optimum Care Homes LLC

1906 Cecil Avenue, Baltimore, MD, 21218

My mother has stayed there now for almost a year. Clean environment. Friendly staff. Happy we were able to get her in this place.

What to Consider About Assisted Living in Cockeysville

Assisted living communities in Cockeysville are licensed by The Office of Health Care Quality, an agency operating under the Maryland Department of Health. This agency conducts scheduled and surprise inspections and handles complaints about care at assisted living communities throughout the state. It also ensures all facilities meet state regulatory standards

Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Cockeysville

• The Cockeysville cost of living is approximately 20.6% higher than the national average, but Maryland offers many programs to help seniors weather their changing financial situation. Seniors can benefit from property tax credits and subsidized transportation options. Health care is one area where the cost of living is actually on the low-end at 9.6% below the national average.
  • Health care is an area where Cockeysville far exceeds most cities with three 5-star CMS ranked hospitals within easy commuting distance and a #1 ranking for health care affordability. Maryland is ranked 5th nationwide for health care, according to a study by WalletHub
  • Maryland has a history of tax policies that aren’t particularly friendly to retirees, but a recent tax reduction may reduce taxes for many seniors. While Cockeysville residents don’t pay taxes on Social Security income or disbursements from a 401(k), they may owe taxes on other income sources. The Retirement Tax Reduction Act of 2020 exempts the first $50,000 in income for seniors earning up to $100,000 per year, dramatically reducing tax liability for many local seniors.
  • The AARP Network of Age-Friendly States and Communities includes Cockeysville and the rest of Baltimore County. Participation in this network means that the local government has committed to working with the community to improve livability for people of all ages. Baltimore County joined in 2019 and continues to enact policies with inclusivity at the forefront.
  • Baltimore City may evoke images of high crime, but Cockeysville’s crime rates are substantially lower. Property crime is 14.4 points lower, and violent crime rates are 47.6 points below Baltimore’s. Seniors can also rest easy in assisted living communities which often have security systems and controlled entry.

Paying for Assisted Living in Cockeysville

According to Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey, assisted living costs an average of $5,000 per month for Cockeysville seniors. The state average is also $5,000 per month, $700 more than the nationwide median.

The Cost of Assisted Living in Nearby Cities

The cost of assisted living in Cockeysville is in line with the state median at $5,000 per month. Only Hagerstown is less expensive at $4,500. In coastal Salisbury, costs are slightly higher at $5,500 per month, but in California, costs increase significantly to $6,200 per month.

Cockeysville

Hagerstown

$6200

California

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

Seniors in Cockeysville have several options for long-term care. Assisted living is near the top for expenses, but in-home services are comparable. Homemaker services cost an average of $4,671 per month, while those who also need health care at home may pay $4,957 per month. The most affordable long-term care option is adult day health care at $1,896 per month for seniors who need assistance during the traditional work week. Nursing home care is the most comprehensive and expensive option starting at $11,984 for a semiprivate room, with private rooms averaging over $800 more.

$4671

Homemaker Services

$4957

Home Health Aide

$1896

Adult Day Health Care

Assisted Living Facility

$11984

Nursing Home Facility (semiprivate room)

$12805

Nursing Home Facility (private room)

Note: Data for Cockeysville was not available, so data for the closest city, Baltimore, was used instead.

Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Cockeysville

The state of Maryland pays for assisted living services in Level II and Level III ALPs through the Medicaid 1915(c)Home and Community-Based Options Waiver Program. There is also a Senior Assisted Living Group Home Subsidy Program funded by the state.

Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Maryland page.

Paying for Assisted Living Facilities in Maryland

More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living

• Veterans Benefits
  • Life Insurance Policy
  • Long-Term Care Insurance
  • Reverse Mortgage

For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page.

Free Assisted Living Resources in Cockeysville

Cockeysville has various programs to help seniors who are considering a move to a local assisted living community. Both local and state government agencies serve the region and offer free recreational activities, benefits counseling, case management and legal help.

Resource

Contact

Service

The Community Outreach Program connects seniors 60 and older with case management services. Case managers are available for home visits to seniors who have a difficult time leaving the house. Each caseworker assesses a senior's needs and support systems, helping connect seniors and their caregivers with community support to help them extend their time at home or within the community. Some examples of supports that the Community Outreach Program may offer include financial assistance, transportation, housing or in-home care.

The Legal Services for Senior Citizens program offers seniors aged 60 and better free consultations and representation in some circumstances. While the program doesn't handle wills and estate planning, lawyers can assist with lawsuits that may put the senior's property, safety or civil rights in jeopardy. Other common legal issues that this program may cover include health care, unemployment, income maintenance, housing and protective services.

Baltimore County operates more than 20 seniors centers, including the Cockeysville Senior Center. These centers act as community gathering places, provide congregate meals and offer extensive entertainment options. Exercise classes, arts and crafts, bingo and other fun activities are on the calendar every month, along with wellness clinics and nutrition classes.

(410) 887-2059

Baltimore County administers a SHIP office that offers Cockeysville seniors Medicare and Medicaid counseling. Trained, volunteer counselors provide free and unbiased information about insurance options through Original Medicare and Medicare Advantage plans. Services are available via phone and in-person during standard, annual open enrollment periods. SHIP also conducts live presentations at Baltimore County Library locations that explain the process of switching to Medicare and how and when to enroll.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Cockeysville

Cockeysville-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Maryland are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page for more information about these laws.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Maryland