128 Assisted Living Facilities near Ellicott City, MD
There are 128 Assisted Living Facilities in the Ellicott City area, with 13 in Ellicott City and 115 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Ellicott City is $4,027 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,500. Cheaper nearby regions include Catonsville with an average starting cost of $2,933.
To help you with your search, browse the 366 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Ellicott City. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Ellicott City 4.4 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Columbia with an average rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Ellicott City, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Ellicott City, MD
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Ellicott City
Ellicott City, Maryland, is located 13 miles west of Baltimore. The city has been named one of CNN Money's and Time Money Magazine's Best Places to Live, and thus could be considered an ideal place for seniors to settle down. Ellicott City's senior population of 14.7 percent is served by 59 assisted living facilities in the greater Ellicott City area, with 12 directly within the city limits and 47 nearby. In Ellicott City and throughout the state of Maryland, assisted living facilities (ALF) are defined as programs that provide housing and supportive service to residents who need assistance in regular activities. ALFs in Maryland are regulated and licensed by the Maryland Department of Health.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Ellicott City
- Public transportation in Ellicott City is provided by the Regional Transportation Agency of Central Maryland and through the Maryland Transit Administration's bus system. Senior citizens qualify for reduced fares through the MTA. For seniors who plan on traveling domestically or abroad, the nearest major airport is the Baltimore-Washington International Airport.
- Ellicott City has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Ellicott City 50+ Center, an organization that offers daily social programs, noontime meals and educational and wellness classes for many interests.
- The Ellicott City area has few facilities from which to choose in the event of a medical emergency or illness, with the nearest major hospital, Howard County General Hospital, located in Columbia (five miles away).
- Summers in Ellicott City are hot and humid, and thunderstorms often frequent the area. Seniors should also be aware that because of its proximity to Patapsco River, Ellicott City is prone to major flooding, which could lead to property damage.
- Ellicott City is considered safer than nearly half of all other cities across the United States. Seniors have a one in 66 chance of being a victim of a crime in the area and should consider Elliot City's crime rates before moving.
- Air quality across the nation is ranked on a scale of one to 100, with 100 being a perfect score and 58 being the national average air quality. Because Ellicott City's air quality is 5 points below average, seniors should examine their individual lung conditions before moving to the area.
Paying for Assisted Living in Ellicott City
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Maryland
Assisted Living costs in Ellicott City start around $4,027 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Ellicott City and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Ellicott City
In Ellicott City and across Maryland, the Senior Assisted Group Home Subsidy Program offers state funds to eligible seniors who are unable to afford the cost of assisted living. Applicants must have a low or moderate income to qualify.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Maryland page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Ellicott City
Ellicott City and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Ellicott City, please visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Ellicott City
Ellicott City-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Maryland are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near Ellicott City, MD
Other Options in Ellicott City, MD
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Ellicott City
Review of Morningside House of Ellicott City
This place has really gone down hill and I cannot recommend. Prior to Covid there were some issues with lack of communication, coordination and delayed responses from certain personnel to get back ... Read more
Review of Lighthouse Senior Living at Ellicott City
Just want to let you know how insanely happy our family member is living at Lighthouse! He told us this weekend how much he loves it there. But I have to say, I think the best thing about it is… ... Read more
Review of Morningside House of Ellicott City
We have our dad in the Morningside House of Ellicott City. It's a very nice place. It isn't very large and it is very comforting. The people that we spoke with that work there are very nice. A lot ... Read more