Ellicott City, Maryland, is part of the greater Baltimore area, located on the east coast near Chesapeake Bay. Residents here can benefit from Baltimore’s big-city amenities and health care while enjoying the lifestyle a smaller town affords. Patapsco State Park is a popular place for seniors who wish to walk gentle nature trails, have a picnic or catch local wildlife. Old Ellicott City is a quaint, Mainstreet shopping district with historical landmarks and many locally-owned shopping and dining destinations. The population of Ellicott City is 76,000, and seniors 65 and older make up 16% of that number.

Many Ellicott City seniors may be considering moving into an assisted living facility, group care homes that provide personal assistance and inclusive apartment-style living. Often, assisted living homes prepare meals for residents and host many different activities throughout the week. In Ellicott City, the average monthly fees for assisted living are $5,000

This guide covers the cost of assisted living and other types of senior care in Ellicott City and some benefits and drawbacks of living here. There’s also a list of free resources for seniors and their families to help locate government benefits and enhance their quality of life.

Directory of Assisted Living Facilities in Ellicott City, MD

Morningside House of Ellicott City

5330 Dorsey Hall Drive, Ellicott City, MD, 20142

I visited both assisted living and memory care in Morningside House of Ellicott City. Everybody was polite. It was clean and beautiful. They had wonderful caregivers and the rooms were bright and big. … (read more)

Lighthouse Senior Living at Ellicott City

3100 N. Ridge Rd., Ellicott City, MD, 21043

Lighthouse is truly the place to choose for your loved one. Mom has been living there for nine months and has received wonderful care from an extraordinary and attentive staff. She raves about the de … (read more)

White Oak Villages

2942 Rosemar Drive, Ellicott City, MD, 21043

My father currently resides at White Oak and I have been very happy with his care. The staff are extremely loyal, caring and kind. The residence is kept very clean and organized. They offer a number o … (read more)

Shangrila Senior Living

4475 Montgomery Road, Ellicott City, MD, 21043

I was impressed with Shangrila Senior Living. It looked pretty clean and it looked like it had adequate staff to support the residents. I did not have too much interaction with the staff. I just had a … (read more)

2014, 2015

Heartlands at Ellicott City Senior Living Village

3004 North Ridge Road, Ellicott City, MD, 21043

Heartlands at Ellicott City is a continuing care community with cottages and different sized apartments. We went to a 1-bedroom with a den, it was nice, and had a little kitchen, dining area, and a li … (read more)

Encore at Turf Valley

11150 Resort Road, Ellicott City, MD, 21042

The rooms are spacious but warm and inviting. The views are sunny and pleasant. Bathrooms are well appointed as is the kitchen area. The staff is engaged with the residents and very respectful of thei … (read more)

2021

Ivy Manor Normandy II

2928 Normandy Drive, Ellicott City, MD, 21043

My mother has been a resident at Ivy Manor for more than 5 years. My family and I tried many ways to care for my mom. We tried to have a caretaker in the home and we tried to take care of her in ou … (read more)

Chestnut Hill Manor

8205 Tyson Road, Ellicott City, MD, 21043

Chestnut Hill Manor is a small home. I’m impressed with the owner and her qualifications. My relative has only been there for two weeks, and from what I’ve seen, it seems like the staff members ar … (read more)

Emmanuel Care Center I

9966 Oaklea Court, Ellicott City, MD, 21043

2014, 2015, 2016

The Atrium Village

4730 Atrium Court, Owings Mills, MD, 21117

My mother is in Atrium Village. It’s an excellent place for one’s parents to be in. It’s an excellent residence for one’s senior years. The rooms are beautiful, beautifully well-kept, well designed, a … (read more)

2013

Charter Senior Living of Woodholme Crossing

1840 Reisterstown Road, Pikesville, MD, 21208

My father moved into Charter Senior Living of Woodholme Crossing the day after Thanksgiving. We chose this because my dad was able to see it himself, he was not able to see the other place. So I feel … (read more)

2015, 2016

Harmony Hall

6336 Cedar Lane, Columbia, MD, 21044

Harmony Hall was very welcoming. The rooms were very spacious, and when we were there they had somebody come in to sing for the residents. It looked like they were enjoying it. They had a movie theate … (read more)

2016

Sunrise of Pikesville

3800 Old Court Road, Pikesville, MD, 21208

We went to Sunrise of Pikesville. It was very nice, but it was expensive. It’s very clean, the people were very mannered. Everybody was helpful. I love the nurses, the rooms were nice. I did like it. … (read more)

Elternhaus Assisted Living

4201 Linthicum Road, Dayton, MD, 21036

This facility is a very caring facility. Soma, who is the nurse, cook, etc who takes care of my Dad, does an excellent job and Tim, the owner/director and Charilyn makes sure all residents stay healt … (read more)

2016

Sunrise of Columbia

6500 Freetown Road, Columbia, MD, 21044

Sunrise of Columbia is very clean and very well staffed. It was not something that we could afford. It was one of my top choices. The staff was very friendly. Everybody was very friendly. I did not tr … (read more)

2015

Brighton Gardens of Columbia

7110 Minstrel Way, Columbia, MD, 21045

My mom has moved into Brighton Gardens of Columbia. I like the apartment. It’s a one-bedroom unit. The staff has been amazing, and that was part of our reason, too. They’re so great. We haven’t tried … (read more)

What to Consider About Assisted Living in Ellicott City

The Maryland Department of Health licenses and regulates assisted living homes in the state. Each Ellicott City assisted living community must pass regular inspections from this agency to retain its licensure, including demonstrating appropriate levels of sanitation and an assessment of the care that residents receive. Staff members and on-site medical professionals also have their credentials verified.

Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Ellicott City

• The overall cost of living in Ellicott City is considerably higher than the U.S. median, 147.8 compared to 100. Seniors on a budget may want to keep this in mind when looking for assisted living. However, health care is lower than the national average, 92.8 compared to 100.
  • Maryland seniors who have an income of less than $100,000 per year may receive a state income tax break. No taxes are levied on the first $50,000 of income, and the remainder is taxed at a lesser rate. This includes the income derived from wages, retirement accounts, pensions and Social Security.
  • Seniors with chronic health concerns may be pleased to note they have many options for medical care. The number of doctors per 100,000 residents is more than double the national average, 454 compared to 210.
  • Ellicott City receives an average of 206 sunny days per year compared to the U.S. average of 205. On the BestPlaces Comfort Index, the city has a rating of 7.3 out of 10, making it one of the more pleasant places to living in Maryland.
  • Crime rates here are quite low, which can help seniors feel more comfortable exploring their community alone. Violent crime rates are 13.4 compared to the U.S. average of 22.7, while property crime rates are 20.4, compared to 35.4 for the U.S. on average.
  • As part of Howard County, Ellicott City shares the county’s designation as a member of the AARP’s Network of Age-Friendly Communities. The AAPR rates cities and counties across the country on their senior-friendliness, including the availability of resources and benefits, transportation, health care and other factors.
  • Ellicott City and the greater Baltimore area are rated as one of the top ten places to retire. This designation is based on the overall wellness and supports seniors receive and health care and social/ emotional support. This area, in particular, is acknowledged to have some of the finest health care in the nation.

Paying for Assisted Living in Ellicott City

Monthly assisted living fees in Ellicott City match those for the state of Maryland, both of which are $5,000, according to Genworth Financial’s Cost of Care Survey 2020. These are $700 more than the U.S. average monthly fees for assisted living.

The Cost of Assisted Living in Nearby Cities

Ellicott City falls in the middle when comparing assisted living fees to other Maryland cities. Hagerstown and Cumberland are a few hundred dollars less, $4,500 and $4,665, respectively, while Bethesda ($6,000) and Salisbury ($5,500) are more expensive.

Ellicott City

Salisbury

$4665

Cumberland

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

Ellicott city seniors have other options for long-term care. Those who wish to age in place at home may hire a home health aide ($4,957 per month) for in-home medical care or homemaker services ($4,671 per month) to help around the house. Seniors who need intensive medical care will be best served in a nursing home. A semiprivate room costs $11,984 and a private one costs $12,805. People who only need assistance during the weekday, when their family or caretaker isn’t available, may opt for adult day health care at $1,896 per month.

$4671

Homemaker Services

$4957

Home Health Aide

$1896

Adult Day Health Care

Assisted Living Facility

$11984

Nursing Home Facility (semiprivate room)

$12805

Nursing Home Facility (private room)

Note: Care cost data for Ellicott City was not available, so data for the closest city, Baltimore, was used instead.

Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Ellicott City

The state of Maryland pays for assisted living services in Level II and Level III ALPs through the Medicaid 1915(c)Home and Community-Based Options Waiver Program. There is also a Senior Assisted Living Group Home Subsidy Program funded by the state.

Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Maryland page.

Paying for Assisted Living Facilities in Maryland

More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living

• Veterans Benefits
  • Life Insurance Policy
  • Long-Term Care Insurance
  • Reverse Mortgage

For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page.

Free Assisted Living Resources in Ellicott City

Seniors and their families have several community resources from Ellicott City and the greater Baltimore area to help them maintain their independence or seek assistance applying for government benefits. Some of these agencies can also help seniors find the right assisted living accommodations and help individuals and families with the transition into long-term care living.

Resource

Contact

Description

Maryland's long-term care ombudsmen address the needs of residents of assisted living and other long-term care communities. This includes receiving complaints filed by residents or on behalf of residents by their families and addressing the concerns. Other functions of this organization include helping Maryland seniors find the right assisted living home, with unbiased assessments of each facility's benefits and drawbacks.

(410)-767-1100

Maryland’s Department of Aging’s mission is to make the state an attractive retirement destination for older adults. It helps communities across the state develop programs to enhance the lives of older adults and make resources more accessible for the elderly.

Legal Aid assistance is open to all who meet certain income guidelines and is provided by Maryland lawyers. Cases are civil matters only and include fraud and elder abuse or neglect or landlord-tenant disputes. Other matters handled by the lawyers are filing for divorce or bankruptcy and drafting wills, trusts, living wills and powers-of-attorney.

Seniors in the greater Baltimore area who cannot afford their own durable medical equipment may indefinitely borrow from the Department of Aging’s Loan Closet. The community donates items, so what’s in stock can vary. Typically, the loan closet will have manual wheelchairs and walkers, rollators and canes, toileting and shower chairs and sometimes TTY kits and blood pressure cuffs. Items are given on a first-come, first-served basis.

(410) 887-2080

The Ride Service program is a shuttle service for the elderly and those who need special travel accommodations, such as walker and wheelchair accessibility. The vehicles have ramps and low step thresholds. The service also has escorts for individuals who need assistance running errands, shopping or visiting the doctor. Seniors may book online or by calling ahead, and the service is free.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Ellicott City

Ellicott City-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Maryland are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page for more information about these laws.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Maryland