81 Assisted Living Facilities near Elkridge, MD
There are 81 Assisted Living Facilities in the Elkridge area, with 2 in Elkridge and 79 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 206 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Elkridge. Better rated regions include Hanover with an average rating of 4.2 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Elkridge, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Elkridge, MD
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Elkridge
Elkridge lies on the Patapsco River, an angler’s dream. Patapsco Valley State Park is about 12 miles from Elkridge and offers active seniors 32 miles of river frontage to explore with 20 miles of trails. Seniors aged 65 and over make up about 6.6% of Elkridge’s population. To support those in this demographic who need help with personal assistance and health-related services, Elkridge has two assisted living facilities.
In Maryland, these residential communities are called assisted living programs, or ALPs. Nearby cities offer an additional 74 ALPs. The Assisted Living Unit of Maryland’s Department of Health oversees regulatory compliance for ALPs in Elkridge and the rest of the state.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Elkridge
- Seniors living in Elkridge don’t pay state income tax on their Social Security retirement benefits, but they are taxed on income from IRAs and 401(k)s. Maryland is one of just two states that impose both estate and inheritance taxes.
- The cost of living in Elkridge is about 32% higher than the national average. However, this is primarily due to the high price of housing in the area. Seniors find the cost of groceries and healthcare to be on par with the U.S. average.
- The Elkridge area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Howard County General Hospital, A Member of Johns Hopkins Medicine, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Active seniors looking for a dry climate won’t find it in Elkridge. The city gets an average annual rainfall of 43 inches. Winter brings about 17 inches of snow, with a January low of 24 degrees. Summers are hot and excessively humid, with a July high around 87 degrees.
- Although Elkridge’s violent crime ranking of 23.7 is about the same as the U.S. average of 22.7, the city’s property crime rate is higher. Elkridge scores a 44.7 out of 100, with 100 being high property crime. The national average is 35.4. Seniors should ensure the ALP they’re considering is well-equipped with a top-notch security system.
- Elkridge has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Elkridge 50+ Center, a modern facility that offers state-of-the-art fitness equipment and wellness programs, art classes, social and recreational opportunities, and educational workshops.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Elkridge
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Maryland
Assisted Living costs in Elkridge start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Elkridge and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Elkridge
Elkridge seniors have several programs that may provide aid for assisted living. Maryland’s Senior Assisted Living Group Home Subsidy (SALGHS) program helps those who reside in smaller ALPs, while the Optional State Supplement may help those in larger facilities. Medicaid offers three waivers, including the Community First Choice (CFC) program, Community Options (CO) Waiver and Increased Community Services (ICS) Waiver.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Maryland page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Elkridge
Elkridge and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Elkridge, please visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Elkridge
Elkridge-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Maryland are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page for more information about these laws.