Winston-Salem, North Carolina, has 247,945 residents, and 14.1% are aged 65 and older. Seniors in this city have access to a broad range of medical services at facilities including Atrium Health Wake Forest Baptist and Novant Health Forsyth Medical Center. Nursing home costs in Winston-Salem are close to the national average, according to the Genworth Financial 2020 Cost of Care Survey. Here, semiprivate rooms carry an average cost of $7,787 per month, while the national median is $7,756.

Nursing homes provide around-the-clock supervision and monitoring, personal assistance, skilled nursing and other medical services for individuals who need high levels of care. The staff may include therapists and social workers in addition to nurses and nursing aides. This level of support is the most extensive available outside a hospital setting, so its costs run considerably higher than other types of senior care. Home health care or assisted living may offer a more economical and suitable alternative for seniors who don’t require 24-hour skilled care.

This guide covers nursing home costs in Winston-Salem and cities throughout North Carolina and cost comparisons with other types of senior care. It also includes a list of local aging-related resources that may benefit seniors and their families.

Directory of Nursing Homes in Winston-Salem, NC

2015, 2016

Homestead Hills

2105 Homestead Hills Drive, Winston-Salem, NC, 27103

Homestead Hills seemed to be OK. My mom went downhill really fast after we moved her, so they had to move her from the Alzheimer’s unit over to nursing care. The doctor there was very good, so they re … (read more)

2012

Arbor Acres

1250 Arbor Road, Winston-Salem, NC, 27104

Oak Forest Health and Rehabilitation

5680 WINDY HILL DRIVE, Winston-Salem, NC, 27105

I am mortified at the service provided to my grandfather during his stay at Oak Forest. He was there for 10 days before receiving a shower. All 4 pair of pants were lost within that 10 days althoug … (read more)

Salemtowne

190 Moravian Way Drive, Winston-Salem, NC, 27106

We brought Mom to the Rehab Center at Salemtowne and at first glance, the rooms were beautiful and staff were helpful. Within one day, we were complaining daily of lack of showers, lack of cleanliness … (read more)

Brookridge Retirement

1199 Hayes Forest Drive, Winston-Salem, NC, 27106

We went to look at Brookridge Retirement. The staff took us to an open room. She told us we could go down to the gym where they did physical therapy, but we didn’t go down there. We saw the room and t … (read more)

Accordius Health at Winston Salem

4911 BRIAN CENTER LANE, Winston-Salem, NC, 27106

From the hospital, my dad went to Brian Center. They did a good job of rehabilitation, but the facility was not as nice. The rehabilitation was good, but the facility was not the most modern. We did o … (read more)

The Oaks at Forsyth

901 BETHESDA RD, Winston-Salem, NC, 27103

This place is absolutely terrible. Lazy, untrustworthy staff. They treat the residents with no respect or kindness at all. Filthy doesn’t begin to describe the entire facility. My grandfather never ha … (read more)

Trinity Glen

849 Waterworks Road, Winston-Salem, NC, 27101

I could not give this Nursing home anything rate larger than one star. If there was a 0 I would have given it.. My sister is a current resident of Trinity Glen and has had the worst treatment ever … (read more)

Silas Creek Rehab

3350 Silas Creek Pkwy, Winston-Salem, NC, 27103

I had a horrible past experience with Silas Creek, yep I viewed it as the worst place ever, however, they are under new management now, and my sister was there for a couple of months. The place was … (read more)

Winston Salem Nursing & Rehabilitation Center

1900 West 1st Street, Winston-Salem, NC, 27104

My mom came out of a rehab center — the Winston Salem Nursing and Rehab. She was there for about a month. They could have been a little better. Some staff that was very nice, but a lot of them was no … (read more)

Springwood Care Ctr of Forsyth

5755 Shattalon Dr, Winston-Salem, NC, 27105

I was originally very pleased with the care my mother received at Springwood. However, recent changes in staffing have negatively affected the care she receives. It is extremely hard to get appropriat … (read more)

Forsyth Memorial Hospital Snf

3333 Silas Creek Parkway, Winston-Salem, NC, 27103

Lutheran Home – Winston Salem

5350 OLD WALKERTOWN ROAD, Winston-Salem, NC, 27105

Nursing Home Costs in Winston-Salem, NC

In Winston-Salem, the average monthly rate for semiprivate nursing home rooms is $7,787. Private rooms cost an average of $8,182 per month.

The Cost of Nursing Home Care in Nearby Cities

The $7,787 average monthly rate for semiprivate rooms in nursing homes in Winston-Salem is just $31 above the national median. This level of care in Winston-Salem is $487 more expensive than the North Carolina average of $7,300.

Prices in Winston-Salem are higher than in many nearby cities. Seniors in the Greensboro area pay $92 less, while Burlington residents see a $183 price difference in their favor. The rate in Durham averages $7,270, which is $517 below Winston-Salem’s median. In the Hickory area, nursing homes charge $6,874 per month, on average, or $913 less.

$7787

Hickory

$7604

Burlington

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

Pricing is among the most important factors many families in Winston-Salem consider as they explore care options for their aging loved one. Seeing nursing home costs side-by-side with prices for other arrangements may help in their decision process.  Adult day health care is the most affordable choice, with an average monthly rate of $1,452. Home care or home health care services cost $3,909 per month, and assisted living runs an average of $4,500. Nursing homes offer the most expensive type of senior care, with average costs of $7,787 for a semiprivate room and $8,182 for a private room.

$1452

Home health care

$4500

Assisted living

$7787

Nursing home (semiprivate room)

$8182

Nursing Home (private room)

Financial Assistance for Nursing Home Care in Winston-Salem, NC

Free Resources for Seniors in Winston-Salem, NC

Many seniors, caregivers and families in Winston-Salem turn to the following resources for aging-related support. Some programs may help delay the need for a senior to enter a nursing home. Others provide advice and assistance for those moving to or currently living in a long-term care facility.

Resource

Contact

Service

The PTRC AAA administers community-based programs for seniors living at home or in long-term care facilities. Services include in-home aides, home-delivered and congregate meals, adult day care and family caregiver support. Legal services are available to help with public benefits, advance directives and foreclosure prevention. Long-term care ombudsmen can advocate on behalf of nursing home residents to secure their rights and ensure quality of care. Age Well Community Programs are offered to encourage and educate seniors about proactive health habits.

(336) 724-2040

Senior Services promotes dignity and independence so older adults can remain at home as long as possible. Seniors and their caregivers can call for free information and screening for appropriate support services. Homebound clients may qualify for in-home care, meal and grocery deliveries. The Senior Lunch program provides meals three days each week, along with health screenings, arts and crafts, music and socialization. Those who can't afford these services may be eligible for assistance through public funding or philanthropic contributions.

The Shepherd’s Center offers programs, direct services and enriching experiences for older adults. The Center's volunteers provide friendly visits, transportation for grocery shopping and medical appointments, minor home repairs and safety modifications and caregiver respite. SHIIP counselors are available to answer questions about Medicare, long-term care insurance and prescription drug plans. The Center hosts educational, entertainment, exercise and recreational opportunities and organizes group outings and day trips.