Lakeland is a picturesque city less than 40 minutes east of Tampa and 55 minutes south of Orlando, ensuring the city’s seniors are within easy reach of the excellent health care facilities in both metro areas. Lakeland’s seniors make up 22.2% of its population, above the U.S. average of 16.5%, which indicates the city’s attraction for seniors. Its primary medical institution is the high-performing Lakeland Regional Medical Center. There are also many nursing homes. According to the 2020 Genworth Cost of Care Survey, the average monthly fee for a semiprivate room is $8,638.

Nursing homes provide 24/7 skilled medical care for seniors unable to perform daily tasks without support, such as bathing. The facilities also provide rehabilitative treatments for seniors with weakened physical and cognitive capabilities in addition to therapies that can help improve speech. However, nursing homes may not be suitable for some people. Assisted living is popular with independent-minded seniors who want professionals nearby should they be needed, while home health care enables seniors to get daily medical assistance while remaining in their homes.

This guide discusses senior care costs in Lakeland in more detail and lists some useful resources for seniors and their families.

Directory of Nursing Homes in Lakeland, FL

The Estates at Carpenters

1001 Carpenter’s Way, Lakeland, FL, 33809

The Estates at Carpenters is located in a prime location of Lakeland, near the beautiful Lake Gibson and a wide selection of shops and restaurants. The facility offers residents spacious rooms with ho … (read more)

Florida Presbyterian Homes

16 LAKE HUNTER DRIVE, Lakeland, FL, 33803

Florida Presbyterian Homes is a lakefront assisted living community in sunny Lakeland, Florida. Visitors appreciate that the facility is very clean and well organized, and they recently added new inde … (read more)

Lakeland Nursing & Rehabilitation Center

1919 Lakeland Hills Blvd., Lakeland, FL, 33805

My mom has been a resident since Oct. She has some excellent nurses and aides. Any complaints/problems we had were addressed immediately and taken care of. I like that they handle all her medical c … (read more)

Valencia Hills Health And Rehabilitation Center

1350 Sleepy Hill Rd, Lakeland, FL, 33810

My partner was here for 2 months everyone in the whole place are very professional in everything they do would recommend this place hands down rooms are nice and clean staff is excellent

Highlands Lake Center

4240 LAKELAND HIGHLANDS RD, Lakeland, FL, 33813

Constantly changing the rules or guidelines to adhere to their way of life or to what makes them feel best at ease. However it’s not the same policy that corporate carries on file for their facility. … (read more)

Oakbridge Healthcare Center

3110 OAKBRIDGE BLVD EAST, Lakeland, FL, 33803

My father was there several weeks after contracting COVID19 from a previous rehab and not being properly diagnosed . While there he developed a rash. claiming it was a "side effect" from COVID19, the … (read more)

Wedgewood Healthcare Center

1010 Carpenters Way, Lakeland, FL, 33809

I was at Wedgewood Healthcare Center last summer for rehab. I’m diabetic, and one day I had potatoes and rice on the same plate. There were no menus. Whatever they serve, that’s what you would have. T … (read more)

Consulate Health Care of Lakeland

5245 N Socrum Loop Road, Lakeland, FL, 33809

My mother has moved into Consulate Health Care. So far, so good. The staff is nice. However, they need to improve the laundry area because they seem to lose clothing easily. The staff members all seem … (read more)

Lakeland Hills Center

610 E Bella Vista St, Lakeland, FL, 33805

This place has the worst food I have ever tried to eat. Most of the staff act like your a bother when you need them. I can count on 1 hand the staff who cared. I was there 45 days but it felt like a … (read more)

Consulate Health Care of Lake Parker

2020 W Lake Parker Drive, Lakeland, FL, 33805

I want to share my experience at Lake Parker. Its going to be a long one, but I hope those researching rehab/care facilities will take the time to read. Because I was in your shoes. I understand ho … (read more)

Spring Lake Rehabilitation Center

1540 6TH ST NW, Winter Haven, FL, 33881

My mother is currently a resident of SpringLake Rehab, and I must say that, I was impressed with the quality of service and the facility upon first encounter of touring the facility. Since that tour … (read more)

The Rohr Home

2120 Marshall Edwards Drive, Bartow, FL, 33830

Four years ago, My husband was at the Rohr Home for 5 1/2 months. The care and cleanliness of this facility was amazing. The nurses, and CNA’s are attentive and extremely caring, best in Polk Coun … (read more)

Solaris HealthCare Plant City

701 N Wilder Road , Plant City, FL, 33566

This facility has been amazing in caring for my mother and meeting her special needs. The room Is large and the outside view is beautiful. We are extremely thankful for the care she receives

Community Convalescent Center

2202 W OAK AVE, Plant City, FL, 33563

If I could rate them in the negatives (i.e. -100) I would. Our mother was transferred to this place from a hospital. She suffered a stroke and required rehabilitative services. This facility wreaked o … (read more)

Consulate Health Care Of Winter Haven

2701 Lake Alfred Road , Winter Haven, FL, 33881

If i could give this place ZERO stars, I absolutely would! They are incapable of caring for others the way they should be! I wouldnt send my hamster there!! My father was admitted to this facility and … (read more)

Winter Haven Health and Rehabilitation Center

202 Ave O NE, Winter Haven, FL, 33880

Covit-19. For the month of July 2020. There closed the only glass door to visit! I don’t see any harm at all…. Now, you can’t visit!! Hard to get someone in the phone 45 minutes or the phone gets … (read more)

Bartow Center

2055 E GEORGIA ST, Bartow, FL, 33830

Currently trying to get my father moved from here. The staff is rude they laugh at you when you ask them to call the dr. They haven’t given him a bath in 3 days. I will be contacting the board of heal … (read more)

Auburndale Oaks Healthcare Center

919 OLD WINTER HAVEN RD, Auburndale, FL, 33823

South Florida Baptist Hospital

301 N ALEXANDER ST, Plant City, FL, 33566

Nursing Home Costs in Lakeland, Florida

Seniors and families in Lakeland typically pay $8,638 for a semiprivate room in a nursing home. Monthly fees for private rooms average $9,034.

The Cost of Nursing Home Care in Nearby Cities

The list below compares Lakeland’s average fees for a semiprivate room with those of its neighbors mentioned in the 2020 Genworth Cost of Care Survey. Lakeland’s costs are $31 less per month than the Florida average. Sebring, where seniors typically pay $7,452, is the only city with costs lower than the national average of $7,756. In Orlando, costs of $9,125 are common, while seniors in Palm Bay can expect to pay an additional $61 per month for their semiprivate rooms. Tampa is the most expensive location in the area, with costs of $9,946.

$8638

Palm Bay

$7452

Sebring

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

Families comparing nursing home fees in Lakeland will find the average cost of a semiprivate room is $8,638, while the privacy afforded by a private room typically adds another $396 to fees. However, if seniors are better served by other types of care that include on-site support, it’s common to find assisted living for $3,945. Seniors who can remain at home can get home care for $3,956 and additional health services for another $239 per month. Adult day care centers can provide care to able-bodied seniors for $1,083.

$3956

Adult day health care

$3945

Assisted living

$8638

Nursing home (semiprivate room)

$9034

Nursing home (private room)

Financial Assistance for Nursing Home Care in Lakeland, Florida

Free Resources for Seniors in Lakeland, Florida

Lakeland’s seniors and their families can access the following resources to help cover residential care costs or make living at home possible for those not yet ready to transition to a nursing home.

ResourceContactService
Medicaid – Long Term Care (LTC)(877) 711-3662The LTC program can help eligible seniors in need of nursing home care, including additional treatments provided within the facilities, such as speech and physical therapies. To access the benefits, most seniors will need to be enrolled in the Statewide Medicaid Managed Care program and meet several other requirements. These include being a U.S. citizen (or permanent resident) and having assets and income on or below the thresholds.
SHINE (State Health Insurance Assistance Program)(800) 336-2226SHINE is a program for Medicare beneficiaries and seniors not yet enrolled who want unbiased information and advice on the best plans for their needs. The program’s counselors provide confidential one-on-one support to seniors, helping them understand their current levels of coverage and how to address any shortfalls. Although this may involve discussions about private health care plans, the counselors won’t try to sell insurance.
Citrus Connection Paratransit Service(855) 765-5287Citrus Connection is a service for seniors and the disabled that operates all public transport systems throughout Polk County. It can help passengers access free or subsidized transport services, such as passes for fixed-route buses and door-to-door rides using wheelchair-accessible vehicles. Door-to-door is a shared ride service costing $2 per one-way journey and can be used by seniors for any purpose.
Florida Long Term Care Ombudsman Program(888) 831-0404The Long Term Care Ombudsman Program helps seniors in residential care communities understand their rights while also acting as their voice in disputes with their care providers. The ombudsman investigates complaints made by seniors, their families and third parties. If a complaint involves allegations of criminality, such as elder abuse, the ombudsman will refer it to the proper authorities. Families can also get free access to information about nursing homes to help them make more informed decisions.
Meals on Wheels of Polk County(863) 299-1616Meal on Wheels is a nonprofit organization that delivers freshly prepared nutritious meals to homebound seniors in Polk County. Meals are delivered around noon on weekdays and typically include a main course, dessert and drink. Depending on donations, seniors also receive a loaf of sliced bread and boxed pastry once a week.