32 Assisted Living Facilities near Lakeland, FL
There are 32 Assisted Living Facilities in the Lakeland area, with 17 in Lakeland and 15 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Lakeland is $2,838 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,450. Cheaper nearby regions include Plant City with an average starting cost of $2,421.
To help you with your search, browse the 272 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Lakeland. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Lakeland 4.1 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Plant City with an average rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped 13 families in Lakeland find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Lakeland, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Lakeland, FL
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Lakeland
Lakeland, Florida, located between Tampa and Orlando, will excite history, art and nature enthusiasts with features like the largest collection of Frank Lloyd Wright architecture, the Polk Museum of Art, Hollis Garden and the Historic and Antiques district. Seniors who want to reside in this area while receiving some help with daily tasks can choose from 16 assisted living facilities in Lakeland and an additional 35 in neighboring areas such as Plant City, Winter Haven and Lake Alfred. The Florida Bureau of Health Facility Regulation licenses three types of assisted living facilities in the state.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Lakeland
- Florida is one of only seven states that doesn't charge a state income tax. Retirement income such as 401(k), pensions and social security benefits are not taxed, so seniors coming from out of state may find more budget flexibility.
- Lakeland is a member of the AARP Network of Age-Friendly Communities, meaning that its elected leadership "has made the commitment to actively work toward making their town, city our county a great place for people of all ages," according to AARP.
- Lakeland's violent crime rate is about 25 percent lower than the Florida average, with 3.26 incidents of violent crime per 1,000 residents per year. Property crimes in the city are nearly double the national average, but those wouldn't typically affect assisted living residents.
- The American Lung Association gives Lakeland an A grade for particle pollutants and a B grade for high-ozone days. Pollutants and ozone can exacerbate the symptoms of respiratory conditions.
- Lakeland has long, hot summers with temps often over 90 degrees and high humidity. The cooler months are short-lived, with average low temperatures in the 50s from November through February. Thunderstorms are frequent, and the area receives about 30 percent more rainfall than the national average.
- The cost of living in Lakeland is 9 percent lower than the national average, which means seniors on a tight budget may find some relief. Low housing costs are the main reason, and that's reflected in the city's below-average assisted living prices.
Paying for Assisted Living in Lakeland
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Florida
Assisted Living costs in Lakeland start around $2,818 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Lakeland and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Lakeland
Florida offers low-income seniors two programs that can help cover services at assisted living facilities. The Medicaid Long-Term Care (MLTC) and Assistive Care Services plans don't cover room and board, but the MLTC plan does negotiate those fees for participants.
Family supplementation is permitted under certain circumstances, and the state provides an optional state supplement to seniors who receive Federal SSI benefits.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Florida page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Florida page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Lakeland
Lakeland and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Lakeland, please visit our Assisted Living in Florida page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Lakeland
Lakeland-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Florida are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Florida page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Lakeland, FL
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Lakeland
Review of Grace Manor Suites
Grace Manor provides life changing care to both the resident and family. Read more
Review of Grace Manor Suites
You can feel confident that your loved one will be given the best care possible at Grace Manor Suites. Competant caring staff, clean facility and an all around great place. Read more
Review of Lake Morton Plaza
We're extremely pleased with the people at Lake Morton Plaza. Everybody that lives there, that we spoke to was in there for a long time and enjoyed it, the big thing that made a difference for me w... Read more