33 Assisted Living Facilities near Winter Haven, FL
Also serving communities of Bartow.
There are 33 Assisted Living Facilities in the Winter Haven area, with 11 in Winter Haven and 22 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Winter Haven is $2,567 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,595. Cheaper nearby regions include Lake Alfred with an average starting cost of $2,250.
To help you with your search, browse the 304 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Winter Haven. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Winter Haven 4.0 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Lakeland with an average rating of 4.3 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped 9 families in Winter Haven find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Winter Haven, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Winter Haven, FL
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Winter Haven
Winter Haven, situated between Tampa and Orlando in Polk County, offers seniors many relaxing and fun attractions like scenic lakes, the world's largest collection of vintage planes, and the world's largest Legoland. There are also 11 assisted living facilities within the city limits and another 45 in surrounding areas such as Lake Alfred, Haines City and Lake Wales.
The state licenses several types of assisted living facilities. All homes, including those with a standard license, provide meals and assistance with personal activities like bathing, dressing and mobility.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Winter Haven
- The cost of living in Winter Haven is 9 percent below the national average, due mostly to the city's low housing costs. This statistic is reflected in the relatively low assisted-living prices. Health care costs, however, are more in line with state and national averages.
- Winter Haven is a reasonably safe city with 5.03 reports of violent crime per 1,000 residents per year. The state of Florida averages 4.3 such crimes, and the national average is 4.
- Expect more than average rainfall in Winter Haven with frequent thunderstorms punctuating the long, hot and humid summers. The average monthly high temperatures are at least 70 degrees throughout the year and 80s to low 90s during most months. Average lows in the winter are in the 50s.
- Winter Haven residents enjoy Florida's lack of state income tax, which includes retirement income, but there is a 7 percent sales tax on most purchases.
- Winter Haven is a member of the AARP Network of Age-Friendly Communities, meaning that its elected leadership "has made the commitment to actively work toward making their town, city or county a great place for people of all ages," according to AARP.
- Winter Haven received A and B grades from the American Lung Association for particle pollutants and high-ozone days respectively. The air quality typically won't irritate respiratory conditions.
Paying for Assisted Living in Winter Haven
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Florida
Assisted Living costs in Winter Haven start around $2,520 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Winter Haven and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Winter Haven
Optional state supplementation may provide some extra funds for seniors receiving Federal SSI benefits, and the state allows families to contribute toward room and board at assisted living facilities without impacting Medicaid eligibility or benefits.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Florida page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Florida page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Winter Haven
Winter Haven and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Winter Haven, please visit our Assisted Living in Florida page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Winter Haven
Winter Haven-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Florida are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Florida page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near Winter Haven, FL
Other Options in Winter Haven, FL
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Winter Haven
Review of Brookdale Winter Haven
Brookdale Winter Haven seems a nice place that provides everything my mother would need, but it was a little overpriced for what she could afford. The staff was very nice, personable, informative, ... Read more
Review of Best Care Senior Living at Winter Haven
The number one factor we considered in choosing Best Care Senior Living at Winter Haven assisted living for my mom was its nearness to me. It's only 30 minutes away from where I live, so that was a... Read more
Review of Brookdale Winter Haven
Brookdale Winter Haven was beautiful. It had wide, wide hallways. It was bright, cheerful, clean, and immaculate. It's a little bit pricey. We saw the assisted living. You don't change rooms unless... Read more