Lake Howard Heights

Reviews of Lake Howard Heights

Assisted Living Reviews for Lake Howard Heights

April 02, 2018

By Monika

Lake Howard Heights was very nice and we liked the apartments. They do a lot of activities and they serve three meals. The staff is friendly. They have pretty nice 1-bedrooms and 2-bedrooms, but what we didn't like was that the closets were unbelievably small.

July 20, 2017

By Wendy LG

My mother has been a resident of Lake Howard Heights for over 4 years and loves it. She loves the location and the staff and feels very safe there. There are so many activities for her to participate in, but her favorite is the "mystery rides" where she goes on the LHH bus to an unknown restaurant for lunch. The staff are very caring and very accessible for questions or concerns that I may have. They keep an eye on her and have let me know immediately when need be. In addition, if she doesn't show up for a meal, they will immediately call her or go to her room to make sure she is well. Not only is my mother well cared for at LHH, but there is a good hospital less than a mile away. The maintenance staff is helpful to the residents and is constantly trying to improve the facility inside and out. As a bonus, Lake Howard Heights overlooks beautiful Lake Howard, inspiring tranquility. There is always a lovely breeze.

Thank you, Wendy, for sharing your review! We appreciate your confidence in us and we're delighted that your mother has chosen to make her home here at Lake Howard Heights!

November 25, 2016

By Jack638688

My father is at Lake Howard Heights and he gets 3 meals a day at the restaurant area. He lives on the 2nd floor in a nice studio apartment with his dog. He loves it there because he's got good friends, and they all eat dinner together. He's really enjoying it there. Dad's room is cleaned every week; the floors are vacuumed, the bathrooms are cleaned, they take out the trash, and they do the bed sheets and blankets. Everything is covered in the price including the bus that takes them to Walmart and anywhere they want to go. I like the friendliness around the place. Everybody is really nice to Dad, and they all know me because I go in and out all the time. Once a month, the residents were taken to places like the Hard Rock Cafe the whole day and they enjoy themselves.

November 23, 2016

By Ann832808

Lake Howard was very nice, but we’re just not quite ready for it. The staff was very nice. The apartments were lovely. The only thing I didn’t like is that there was no landing; you couldn’t go outside of your apartment unless you took the elevator. The dining area was very good, and the food was excellent.

October 06, 2016

By Ron038255

Lake Howard Heights was the one that we liked most because it was clean and nice, the hallways were nice and light, and the rooms and people were nice. If we go anywhere, we would go there. They had community, exercise, and game rooms, plus a bus to take them places. Of all the places we looked, it was one of the nicest.

September 29, 2016

By Linda123301

We weren’t really impressed with Lake Howard Heights. It was too close to the streets, not much outside area to walk. I didn’t see much grassy area and places to walk and get outside. Yes, they had outside benches that you could go outside and sit, but there wasn’t that much area around the building. The rooms were fine. We looked at a two-bedroom there, and we were happy with that. I liked the idea of it being a two-bedroom, but it didn’t have a place for the washer and dryer. You’d have to do the community wash, and I liked the idea of having a washer and dryer in the apartment.

Thank you for your recent visit to Lake Howard Heights and your honest feedback. I would love the opportunity to share with you personally more information of specific details in regards to both your concern about the washer & dryer usage and areas outside to enjoy taking a walk. We do indeed have excellent alternatives in place that help to meet the needs of our residents in both of these areas. Please reach out to me personally at 863-293-3171 as I would love to have you join me for lunch here at the community where we can talk about these things further. Respectfully, Glenda Hanley Executive Director

September 13, 2016

By babydynamite

I visited Lake Howard. The manager did not seem to want to have anybody there because he was never there to show me the apartments. I made the appointment, and the manager was supposed to meet me there, but he never showed up. The resident who he sent over had to use a walker to go around to show me the apartment and argued with me about the place. The food was absolutely inedible. The place had a smell to it, and the price was higher than the other place I visited. It was horrible. My granddaughter and I could not wait to get out of there. We had to go to the restaurant to have something to eat. They needed to improve on everything. It was a high-rise building. I did not like the apartment at all. When we sat down to eat, nobody came to bring us any drinks or anything. Nobody seemed to care about anybody. They needed a new manager.

Thank you for taking time to review us. I am very sorry to hear that your experience with us was less than positive. We pride ourselves on providing excellent Customer Service and the information you provided is not an representation of our typical service. To this end, I would love the opportunity to speak with you personally to work through the negative issues you experienced. Please contact me directly at 863-293-3171. Thank you, Glenda Hanley Executive Director

November 30, 2015

By Jean S.1

I tried to get into Lake Howard Heights. I really loved it, and I wish I could have been there, but I can't. It just happens that we have VA, but I couldn't come up with the money I needed before the VA would kick in, so it's a big financial problem, and that was all. The apartment was really nice and clean. I even liked the studio. It was really nice but not quite big enough. Then after that, a lady showed me a one-bedroom, and I felt like there was more room in the studio than in the one-bedroom because in her one bedroom she would have her Atlantic furniture. But other than that, they're really nice, clean, and everything. I loved it. I had lunch there, and it was very good. They have about everything everybody else does, but on that particular day, all I noticed was the exercises, but they have everything I like. They have bingo and all kinds of stuff.

November 30, 2015

By Katie15

We chose Lake Howard Heights for my loved one because it's about 10 streets down the road from me and it was really clean. They were friendly, and so far everybody has been great there. They know everybody. It's a small community, and the rooms are good sized.

September 30, 2015

By Connie113754950

We place my father-in-law and his wife at Lake Howard Heights. It is an age-in-place community. That is important to us. It has a restaurant style dining facility where the food is off a menu daily so they can choose. My father-in-law does not have teeth and has awkward dentures so his food is pureed. They know that, and they take care of that for him. They can have a healthcare aide to help them with the laundry, they can have a laundry service or they can do the laundry on their own.

August 20, 2015

By caroldarol

My 95 yr old mother has been bedbound for two years with Hospice after a broken hip and 2 heart attacks. She prayed daily to die. It was financially breaking our family to keep round the clock nursing for her and breaking our hearts to see the quality of life she was living. After many prayers, we found out that mother could live at LHH and for extra money, could receive the same level of care she was getting, but unlike Hospice.....they could help her take her independence back!! One room was available and through the incredible help of staff and especially Brian and Dena who went extremely out of their way and way beyond working hours to help us.... Mom now resides there. Her apt. is lovely...the staff are superb, the amount of activities and resources are incredible - I want to live there one day...., the food is good (I've eaten there myself) and I have not met the first person, resident or staff that was sad, unfriendly, or rude. Quite the opposite!!!! It's like Heaven for my Mom and in a very short time she has gained so much independence she never thought at 95 she could restore. She wasn't supposed to die, God had other plans for her! Thank you from the bottom of my heart LHH for ALL you have and are doing for my mom.

June 20, 2015

By Dutch retiree

I have been a resident of Lake Howard Heights since February, 2015. Brian does a caring job of managing the senior living facility. All staff and residents are very friendly and thoughtful. The food is good, there are many activities, and van service is available for the Winter Haven area. I encourage you to come and look at this facility if you are considering independent or assisted living.

June 18, 2015

By Sherron1

I like the way the people at Lake Howard Heights watch out for people. They are very friendly, call my father by name, and make him feel comfortable. The apartments are very clean and very nice. The food is very good. He eats three meals a day there. They play bingo and Pokeno, and they're having a prom on June 18th. He has been there since mid-April, and everything is going good so far.

February 10, 2015

By anonymous105870350

I would never recommend Lake Howard Heights. It was in terrible shape. They were in the process of remodeling. It was bad. The paint was peeling, and the carpets were worn.

Thank you for taking the time to visit and review our community. However, I apologize that we were in the process of remodeling during your visit. That project has indeed been completed and new carpeting will be underway during the first quarter of this year. I would welcome the opportunity to meet you personally and provide you with a complimentary lunch and a new tour to show you the completed project. Again, I apologize that your experience was not what we would want it to be for you, and should you like to schedule an additional tour, please contact me directly at 863-293-3171. Thanks! Glenda Hanley, Executive Director. ghanley@seniorlifestyle.com

December 02, 2014

I did not like Howard Heights; my friend was in there at first. He didn’t stay until three weeks. It seems like there is an uproar over there all the time, and I think it’s a family run place where the janitors and everybody belong to this family. They accused someone who had lived there for a long time of stealing. I don’t know if I have anything good to say about the facility. We paid $1600 the first two months, now that’s $3200, and he's lived there three weeks. They have turned it over to a collection agency. The rooms were fine, but they had a teeny-weeny little refrigerator that you would see in a motel that would constantly be frozen up. We could not even get the ice trays out. They only give you two meals; the other facility gives you three.

November 28, 2014

By Dick11

We had my father-in-law at Lake Howard Heights. We chose this because it was convenient and very close to the church that he participates in. The staff are superb.

August 20, 2014

By Gunz

We were successful in placing my 80 year old brother into a very nice 1 bedroom apartment at Lake Howard Heights. He was an independent living resident at LHH, but was able to have maid service, laundry service, transportation to his doctors' appointments and regularly scheduled shopping trips to local stores and grocers. The LHH staff is most professional staff and employees were most attentive and saw to my brother's every need. I highly recommend Lake Howard.

January 31, 2014

By alioop75

Lake Howard Heights was nice. There were a lot of grounds around it. It was just kind of high-rise with a parking lot. People were very nice, very helpful, and trying to help out.

Thank you for your kind words you shared about Lake Howard Heights. Specifically we are very proud of our dedicated staff. We appreciate you visiting the community and are happy to be of any assistance. If you have any concerns I welcome you to reach out to me directly. - Respectfully… Glenda Hanley, Executive Director

December 20, 2013

By ABM

It is a shame that they cannot be honest with the residents. There is only one person that works there who cares, that is the activity director. The food is terrible, unless they are putting on a function to attract new residents. There is really no security for the independent people. Overall, IT IS NOT A PLACE THAT YOU OR A MEMBER OF YOUR FAMILY WANT TO LIVE OR VISIT. TRUST ME, I KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am very disappointed to learn that you had a negative experience with Lake Howard Heights. Our goal is to deliver the best quality services and care for our residents. To further ensure we are delivering the best services possible, I would ask that you contact me directly at 863-293-3171 or via email at ghanley@seniorlifestyle.com so that you can share with me personally how we failed to deliver these services and meet your expectations so that we can improve the quality going forward.

Thanks, Glenda Hanley, Executive Director at Lake Howard Heights.

September 06, 2013

By lampp

My dad has been at Lake Howard for over a year now. Overall I have been pleased with the facility. This site lists cable as being included. It is not. And I "accidently" found Lake Howard when I was searching for a nursing home for my dad. Somehow they have been misclassified. Lake Howard is an Assisted Living Facility NOT a nursing home. Over the last year, my dad has gradually deteriated. During this time, they have been helpful and very sweet to him. There is only one staff member my mom doesn't care for (my mom visits my dad every morning, spending the morning with him and then goes about her day). He's just become too difficult for her to deal with. Every issue and every request we have ever made has been met with in an extremely timely and caring fashion. It is always a JOY to be there on any holiday. Even on dad's worst dementia days, they not only deal with it well but help us deal with it well too.

November 28, 2012

By Donna11

My sister fell and broke her shoulder in four places. When she came out of the rehabilitation, she was admitted into Lake Howard Heights. But she hasn't fully recovered yet, so she fell again. Someone should have been at least checking on her regularly. They never should have let her come back and be by herself. When we went down there, we went into her apartment, no one has done anything in there to straighten it up and make sure that she was doing all right. And then when we told them that my sister has to go to long-term care, they told us she would have to pay two months because we didn't give them notice. I think that was atrocious that they would even discuss that.

Independent Living Reviews for Lake Howard Heights

May 20, 2019

By Linda

I like the staff and the services that Lake Howard Heights provide. The food is very good. Activities seem very nice with lots of varieties. It seems like it might be a good place for my friend, too. They have a swimming pool and a library. The rooms are very nice. The campus itself is clean and well-maintained. There are pretty views out the windows. Their facilities are wonderful. The staff is very friendly and very nice; all the people seem very nice.

December 19, 2018

By Lucy

The apartments are comfortably roomy. Not cramped. Everything seemed very well maintained. The food was good and the staff friendly. I think it would be a good place to live.

Hi Lucy! Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback; we appreciate your review of our community!

August 21, 2018

By Brad

Lake Howard Heights was a very nice place. It was upscale, but there's no way I could afford that. I wish I could because I would move in there. It's big, new, very well maintained, and had an upscale atmosphere. A very good friend's mom moved in there a few months ago and the family is just absolutely ecstatic with the care that she's getting. They pay for it, but they are certainly more than getting their money's worth. I was very impressed with that place. They have individual apartments and for married couples, they would have shared accommodations there. The staff was very nice, very engaging, knew their product and their way around, and made me feel welcome.

July 17, 2017

By Cassandra

Lake Howard Heights was marvelous, and everything was tiptop. The apartment was beautiful. The people who showed it to us were friendly. We did not have lunch there, but they invited us back. The only thing they didn't have was a pool, but they had a lot of activities. It's a wonderful place, and I can see myself living there. They had cards and bingo, and a happy hour and a musician while we were there.

We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your visit with us and we look forward to seeing you again soon! Thanks so much for sharing your review of Lake Howard Heights.

September 30, 2015

I visited Lake Howard Heights. It was the older one, but it was good. The director spent a lot of time with us, explained things thoroughly and also gave some information about applying for VA benefits and other types of benefits that might be available. The place seemed to be really clean, and it didn't have a bad smell to it. One of the things that I like about it was that you didn't have to walk a long way to get from one spot to another. For somebody who is having a health problem, I think that would be an important feature.

July 28, 2015

The apartments were very nice at Lake Howard Heights. They were painted, and they had new carpets. The dining room seemed very well equipped.

December 03, 2014

By Winter Haven resident

My mom moved into Lake Howard Heights in July. She has been very happy there. Everyone has been very friendly, and there is a family atmosphere. There are many activities for the residents, and my mom has gotten involved in some of them. It is a relief to me to have her in a safe, caring environment.

August 13, 2014

I just went out and talked to a whole bunch of different communities in the area and I liked Lake Howard Heights (650 N. Lake Howard Drive) the best. They were very friendly, very helpful, and they made me feel at ease with my dad living there. His apartment is not big, but it is big enough for him. It suits him just fine. He has got a little living room, a bedroom, and there is a lot of storage because they have their own storage area in each apartment. The kitchen has everything in it such as the stove, a fridge, and all that. So far, the staff has been good. I haven't had any issues. He seems to be very happy. I think he'd probably tell me if he wasn't. The food is really good. The dining room is a lot like a restaurant. Every day they give you three options for each meal and you just pick what you want. I've eaten there a couple of times and it was pretty good. They go on outings and things like that. I know that they have different things during the day that people can go to if they want. There is a little library and coffee area, so it just depends on how social you really want to be. They just seem to make all the residents really comfortable and it is a homey environment.

Questions about Lake Howard Heights

Describe the overall population of assisted living residents at Lake Howard Heights. What is their average age? What are their favorite things to do?

Here at Lake Howard Heights, we have both Independent and Assisted Living residents. Amongst the full population, the average age is 84. We have always been described as a more active community, with residents that remain active within our community and the local community of Winter Haven.

What programs or activities does Lake Howard Heights offer to enrich residents' well-being?

Some would describe us as having zestful activities here at Lake Howard Heights. We understand that activities provide an abundance of health benefits, as seniors gain a lot of staying physically and socially active. Upon visiting our home, you are likely to find residents enjoying a variety of scheduled activities such as, but not limited to, the following: Pakino, Sittercise, Bingo, Men's Club, Outings for dining and shopping, Book Club, and so much more. Scheduled programming and energetic activities are as fun as they are helpful in maintaining physical condition, mental sharpness, appetites and overall health.

What places are near Lake Howard Heights or within walking distance for assisted living residents to enjoy?

Our Senior Living community is located on Lake Howard Drive, which travels the perimeter of one of the most popular lake on the Chain of Lakes here in Winter Haven. Many of our apartments and common areas face the lake, known for its exquisite sunsets. There is a lovely walking path and dock located within walking distance from the front doors of Lake Howard Heights, to add to the perks of lakeside living. Our community is also located within 1.5-2.0 miles from the city's downtown area, full of lively shopping and dining, as well as the local library.

What transportation services does Lake Howard Heights offer to assisted living residents?

Let's take a ride together! With our community bus we are able to offer scheduled outings such as trips to the grocery store, pharmacy, local shopping, doctor's appointments, as well as joy rides of all sorts within the local area for our Independent and Assisting Living residents. We are also able to provide added transportation needs with the use of our Ford Flex.

What makes the chef or dining program at Lake Howard Heights exceptional? What kind of menu can assisted living residents expect?

The Artful Dining program here at Lake Howard Heights is second to none. Our Chef and dining staff take provide in serving not just meals to our residents, but also happiness and satisfaction! The chef also takes the time during a resident's orientation period, coined the HEART program here at Lake Howard Heights, to sit with them and learn their dietary restrictions if any, their preferences, as well as determine best meal times in relation to their med-pass times. It is important to us that we serve the residents with something as pleasing to the eye as it is to the palate in our restaurant-style dining room. Independent and Assisted Living residents choose from a menu of options at their table and are served delicious meals in a bright and cheerful lakeview dining room. It is a belief here that superior dining experiences elevate the morale of patrons and associates in a way that traditional dining cannot.

What safety features or security measures does Lake Howard Heights offer to assisted living residents?

Safety and security at Lake Howard Heights is of upmost importance. We are able to provide peace of mind by providing staffing 24 hours a day, a nightly security guard, interior/exterior video surveillance, and parameter/parking lot security lights in the evening. We also maintain and up to date emergency evacuation plan that is shared with residents upon moving in and throughout their residency to ensure they have the most recent procedures. You will also find this evacuation plan posted throughout the building. As of recently we have installed and fully integrated a generator that has the ability to power the building in its entirety, including but not limited to air conditioning and function of elevators. All rooms and common areas are equipped with up to code fire suppression systems. In fact, according to Winter Haven Fire Department and their inspections, we are the most safe building in this regard. All exterior doors are locked at sundown, requiring access by staff.

How does Lake Howard Heights keep residents' families informed about their loved ones?

Here at Lake Howard Heights, our residents' families are considered our family! We utilize and encourage communication via telephone and email. Every month we send out a community newsletter to families and residents to keep them up to date with current events and happenings at Lake Howard Heights. We also maintain a Facebook page, where families can see and interact with both staff and residents. All managers' contact information can be found on their business cards and encouraged to be utilized if and when needed.

What is the care staff-to-resident ratio at Lake Howard Heights during daytime and nighttime hours?

Lake Howard Heights has staff in the community 24-hours per day. Our staffing is reported maintained to be above the State of Florida's minimum requirement, and adjusted based on the level of care needs of the current residents. Residents have access to front desk personnel 24-hours per day.

If Lake Howard Heights accepts dogs or cats, what indoor/outdoor areas can they enjoy?

We are a pet friendly community. We require a one-time only $350 pet deposit upon signing of a lease. Pet must be no larger than 25-30lbs. We allow cats, dogs, and birds. Resident must agree to and abide by a pet policy established by our Executive Director. Designated areas on the outside parameter of our community are available for walking of pets.

What ongoing senior care training does the staff receive?

Upon being hired, all staff are required to complete 12 hours of training prior to having any interaction with residents. Once this is completed, on job training begins and lasts approximately two weeks (varies with department). Beyond the initial training period, staff are required to complete continued education through Collins Learning, and receive monthly in-services, regardless of department. We find it important that we are all knowledgeable as a team regarding all aspects of the community and its needs. It is also required of our staff to maintain an up-to-date CPR and First Aid Certification.

Describe the overall population of independent living residents at Lake Howard Heights. What is their average age? What are their favorite things to do?

The average age of our Independent Living and Assisted Living combined is 84 years old. They love to enjoy the various activities that our Zestful Activities program has to offer, from arts and crafts, to cards, to outings to nearby restaurants and shopping. A crow favorite here is our excellent entertainment as well as our weekly Happy Hour! Throughout the year we have several planned events that are great opportunities for our families to all come together and celebrate year-round.

What places are nearby for independent living residents to enjoy?

Our location is premier! We are located right across the street from beautiful Lake Howard, part of the Chain of Lakes here in Winter Haven. We have popular amenities nearby such as Publix, Walgreens, CVS, and Walmart. Also within a few miles we have access to the beautiful downtown area here in the City of Winter Haven where residents can enjoy shopping, excellent dining, as well as the local library with it's excellent coffee shop!

What are some recent off-site events that the community activity director at Lake Howard Heights has organized?

Throughout the year, our activities director truly takes advantage of our local cultural opportunities. From farmers markets on Saturdays downtown Winter Haven, to catching a show at the Winter Haven Theatre or Ritz Theatre, we provide access via our bus. We have also visited the Polk Theatre as well as the Polk Art Museum. We also provide scheduled outings to dine at local restaurants and shop at local stores in the Winter Haven area. It is a great way that we are able to keep the residents connected with the beautiful community they are thriving members of.

What transportation services does Lake Howard Heights offer to independent living residents?

It's time to get up and go! With our community bus we are able to offer scheduled outings such as trips to the grocery store, pharmacy, local shopping, doctor's appointments, as well as joy rides of all sorts within the local area for our Independent and Assisting Living residents. We are also able to provide added transportation needs with the use of our Ford Flex.

What makes the chef or dining program at Lake Howard Heights exceptional? What kind of menu can independent living residents expect?

Our Artful Dining program here at Lake Howard Heights is second to none. Our Chef and dining staff take provide in serving not just meals to our residents, but also happiness and satisfaction! The chef also takes the time during a resident's orientation period, coined the HEART program here at Lake Howard Heights, to sit with them and learn their dietary restrictions if any, their preferences, as well as determine best meal times in relation to their med-pass times. It is important to us that we serve the residents with something as pleasing to the eye as it is to the palate in our restaurant-style dining room. Independent and Assisted Living residents choose from a menu of options at their table and are served delicious meals in a bright and cheerful lakeview dining room. It is a belief here that superior dining experiences elevate the morale of patrons and associates in a way that traditional dining cannot. It's also important to mention the ice cream--there's always ice cream!

What common areas are available for independent living residents?

Throughout our community here at Lake Howard Heights, we offer several communal areas for our residents to enjoy. Our open lobby is a great place to listen to music and watch the sunset, as well as welcome family and guests as they enter the building. You will also find a library with a television viewing area and computer and printer. Outside of the dining room is a beautiful lenai area where residents choose to enjoy meals, play cards, do puzzles, or just simply socialize and visit with eachother. If you enjoy an outside setting we do have a serene screened in back porch! On the first floor we have a second television viewing space, and on the second floor they have a gorgeous club room. This club room includes a dining table that seats 12, various seating and couch, beautiful view of the lake, as well as a kitchenette space equipped with a warmer and cooler and sink--perfect for entertaining!

What safety features or security measures does Lake Howard Heights offer to independent living residents?

Does Lake Howard Heights work with an agency or registry to provide nursing and medical assistance as needed?

Lake Howard Heights allows agencies and registries that provide nursing and medical assistance as needed in our community. This includes, but is not limited to, skilled nursing, physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy, onsite podiatry, onsite psychological services, and onsite physicians. We are happy to recommend services if a family needs assistance navigating the various options and providers out there, as we have ones that already actively work within our home. We are also proponents of educating families on the benefits of utilizing ancillary services to help residence maintain as much independence as possible as well as for preventative measures.

What safety features or security measures does Lake Howard Heights provide to protect residents who wander?

It is important to note that our community is Independent and Assisted Living. Unlike a Memory Care unit, we do not have locked facilities. However, if and when a resident does develop or have a tendency to wander, there are protocols in place. The individuals are reviewed at our multiple standups throughout the day, where we communicate any happenings or needs amongst the staff present for the current shift. This puts staff on alert to maintain a sense of supervision on these particular residents. Increased checks occur for such residents, as part of their carefully developed care plan, when in our Assisted Living. We are here to maintain a good quality of life and safe environment. If this ever becomes a concern of safety or concern of elopement, the family and care team are brought together in order to discuss and discover a more appropriate setting for their loved one, and we assist them in further placement.

Costs for Lake Howard Heights

Photos of Lake Howard Heights

Services and Amenities of Lake Howard Heights

• Companion Suites: No

• Coffee Shop

• Spanish

• Licenses: 5494

About Lake Howard Heights

Lake Howard Heights is a senior living provider in Winter Haven, Florida that offers residents Assisted Living and Independent Living. Contact Lake Howard Heights for more details on services and rates.

Map of Lake Howard Heights