Located in northeast Florida, the city of Jacksonville is home to just under a million people; the 2020 U.S. Census puts the city’s population at 949,611, approximately 127,247 of whom are 65 years of age or older. In America, Alzhemier’s disease and similar types of dementia are serious concerns for older adults in every state. Even though Florida’s Alzheimer’s-related death rate is lower than that of all but three states, 2014-2018 data from the Centers for Disease Control show that roughly 9 percent of annual deaths in Jacksonville were from Alzheimer’s disease or related dementias.

As a state that’s particularly tax-friendly for aging retirees, Florida has an older-than-average population and therefore hosts many memory care facilities throughout its panhandle and peninsula. These facilities can help seniors with dementia issues enjoy a higher quality of life through specialized care and therapy. This guide to memory care in Jacksonville covers some key information for seniors considering life in this Southern city, including a comparison of the costs of other types of care and a list of convenient low- or no-cost resources aimed at older adults in the area.

Memory Care Facilities in Jacksonville, FL

Cypress Village

4600 Middleton Park Circle East, Jacksonville, FL, 32224

My grandmother has lived at Cypress Village for many years, she lived in their assisted-living until it was time to transfer her to their memory care and they made the transition as easy as possible. … (read more)

Wyndham Lakes

10660 Old St Augustine Rd, Jacksonville, FL, 32257

Wyndham Lakes was like an old college campus type of setup. The food was good, but it was old. They didn’t seem to have enough staff, but I was there on a weekend, so I don’t know if it’s better durin … (read more)

Camellia at Deerwood

10061 Sweetwater Pkwy, Jacksonville, FL, 32256

I’ve been to Camellia at Deerwood three times. Everybody was very friendly and they were extremely accommodating to make my mother feel comfortable. The lunch we had was good, and we had a menu to pic … (read more)

Fountains at Mill Cove

9960 Atrium Way, Jacksonville, FL, 32225

2015

The Windsor at Ortega

5939 Roosevelt Boulevard, Jacksonville, FL, 32205

Sunrise of Jacksonville

4870 Belfort Road, Jacksonville, FL, 32256

Sunrise of Jacksonville was a nice facility, but I did not care about the coordinator. She was OK, but I didn’t think she did a good job on the tour, nor did she do a good a job selling me on the plac … (read more)

Sodalis Jacksonville

7620 Timberlin Park, Jacksonville, FL, 32256

Having my mother at Elmcroft of Timberlin Parc so far has been pretty good. It’s a decent place, everyone I’ve talked to has been nice and helpful. The facilities are fairly nice, the price isn’t craz … (read more)

2013, 2016, 2022

Atria Park of San Pablo

14199 Wm Davis Parkway, Jacksonville, FL, 32224

My aunt entered memory care Life Guidance at Atria Park of San Pablo eight months ago and I couldn’t be happier with her care! The LG Director regularly sends me photos of my aunt participating in c … (read more)

2012, 2016

Brookdale Mandarin Central

10875 Old Saint Augustine Road, Jacksonville, FL, 32257

I went to Brookdale Mandarin Central. It was my first one, so I personally was very nervous. I didn’t know what I was doing or what I was looking for (for my mom). They were very nice. Two ladies gave … (read more)

Starling of San Jose

9075 San Jose Boulevard, Jacksonville, FL, 32257

My elderly father currently resides in the memory care unit and the staff and administrator of the unit have treated him (a retired policeman) with such respect and kindness. It is so reassuring duri … (read more)

2013, 2015

Brookdale Crown Point

10050 Old Saint Augustine Road, Jacksonville, FL, 32257

I toured Brookdale Crown Point, and everything was nice. It’s a nice facility. The staff looked really happy, and they looked very on purpose. Nobody was trudging along, if you will like they were b … (read more)

2016

The Windsor at San Pablo

4000 San Pablo Parkway, Jacksonville, FL, 32224

We toured The Windsor at San Pablo and they’re nice. It was a little expensive, though. Everybody else is about a thousand bucks less. What I liked the best was the representative that was working w … (read more)

The Cove at Marsh Landing

1700 The Greens Way, Jacksonville, FL, 32250

We moved my dad to the memory care unit of The Cove at Marsh Landing because he has dementia and he also tends to wander or escape. The lady from the community came to the house, talked to my father, … (read more)

2012

HarborChase of Jacksonville

3455 San Pablo Road S, Jacksonville, FL, 32224

Better Days Senior Living

2317 Gilmore St., Jacksonville, FL, 32204

Some Place Like Home, Inc.

7819 Glen Echo Road N., Jacksonville, FL, 32211

Fort Caroline Garden

9150 Fort Caroline Road, Jacksonville, FL, 32225

Bartram Lakes Assisted Living and The Green House Residences

6209 Brooks Bartram Drive #200, Jacksonville, FL, 32258

Mi Casa Adult Living Facility

6856 St Augustine Road, Jacksonville, FL, 32217

My father has been in Mi Casa Adult Living Facility for a little bit now. It’s been great. They’re very caring. They take good care of him. He is happy there. The staff are great. They’re excellent. M … (read more)

COVID-19 Rules for Memory Care in Jacksonville

Since most COVID-19 rules for Memory Care Communities and other Senior Living Facilities are set at the state level, you can view the specific rules for your state on our Guide to Memory Care in Florida. Keep in mind that every community has specific policies that they put in place to protect their residents, so you should contact your local community for more information. Additionally, you can contact your local Area Agency on Aging to learn more – find contact information here.

What to Consider About Memory Care in Jacksonville

Florida’s long-term care facilities are licensed and regulated by the Health Quality Assurance division of the state’s Agency for Health Care Administration. Within the HQA, the Bureau of Health Facility Regulation is the specific arm tasked with overseeing assisted living and nursing homes, hospices, memory care communities and similar providers.

Benefits and Drawbacks of Memory Care in Jacksonville

• Florida is one of the most popular retirement states due to its exceptionally low tax burden. The sales tax in Jacksonville is 7%, just slightly below the U.S. average of 7.3%, but the state has no income tax at all; the average U.S. citizen pays an income tax rate of 4.6%.
  • The area’s climate is also a significant draw for seniors. While Jacksonville does get slightly more rain per year than the average U.S. city at 50 inches vs. 38 inches, it also almost never snows. As of 2022, the most recent measurable snowfall in Jacksonville occurred in 1989. It’s also notably sunnier than most U.S. cities, with an average of 221 sunny days per year against a national average of 205.
  • Health care support for seniors in Jacksonville is strong, with 14 full-service hospitals and roughly 260 physicians per 100,000 city residents. Nationally, the average is a bit lower at 210 per 100,000. Located on Jacksonville’s east side, the Mayo Clinic in Florida has repeatedly been highlighted as the top hospital in the state by U.S. News.
  • The overall cost of living in Jacksonville is slightly less expensive than equivalent state and national costs. On a scale where 100 represents the U.S. average, Florida’s cost of living rates 102.8, while Jacksonville’s comes in at 93.5. Grocery, health and housing all carry below-average costs in Jacksonville; while the cost of utilities in particular are slightly above average, utility payments are usually not a direct financial concern for residents of long-term care facilities.
  • Crime is slightly higher than the national average in Jacksonville, with violent crime rating 33.9 against a U.S. average of 22.7 and the city’s property crime pegged at 52.9 against a U.S. average of 35.4. On the other hand, both kinds of crime have been on overall decline since peaking in 2000, with a particularly steep drop in homicides from 2020 to 2021.

Paying for Memory Care in Jacksonville

Though the annual Genworth Cost of Care Survey tracks a variety of care types, there is no authoritative source that specifically breaks out memory care costs. As such costs are generally 20%-30% higher than those of assisted living, we’ve estimated them in the lists below by adding 25% to Genworth’s reported cost of assisted living.

The Cost of Care in Nearby Cities

At $5,825 per month, Jacksonville is one of the most expensive cities in Florida for memory care; that’s $825 per month over the state average, not to mention $200 over the national average. Prices are somewhat lower to the south, with Tampa averaging $4,188 per month for memory care and Gainesville much cheaper at $2,938. Miami, at $5,481, is closer to Jacksonville’s cost.

$5825

Gainesville

$5481

Miami

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

Except for nursing home care, where a semiprivate room runs roughly $8,213 a month and a private one $8,882, memory care is Jacksonville’s most expensive type of care. Seniors who prefer to receive in-home care can connect with homemaker or home health aide services for $4,481 or $4,767 per month, respectively. At $4,660, the cost of assisted living also falls in that range. The least expensive —  though least extensive —  option is adult day care, which averages a relatively low $1,625 per month.

$4481

Adult Day Care

$4660

Assisted Living

$8213

Nursing Home (semiprivate room)

$8882

Nursing Home (private room)

Financial Assistance for Memory Care in Jacksonville

In Jacksonville, there are options for seniors who need financial assistance paying for Memory Care. For more information about other options, who qualifies, and how to apply, Memory Care in Florida page.

More ways to pay for memory care in Florida

More Ways to Pay for Memory Care

While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for memory care, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance memory care costs include:

• Veterans Benefits
  • Life Insurance Policy
  • Long-Term Care Insurance
  • Reverse Mortgage

For more information about different ways to finance memory care, visit our Memory Care in Florida page.

Free Memory Care Resources in Jacksonville

A variety of government agencies and private nonprofits are tasked with serving seniors in the Jacksonville area; some focus on the needs of seniors with dementia, while most offer services to all state residents 60 and over. Such services include legal assistance, financial counseling and caregiver support.

Resource

Phone

Service

800-963-5337

ElderSource is the official Area Agency on Aging for Jacksonville and northeast Florida. Its Long Term Care Services Unit is tasked with acting as an information clearinghouse for available services and can also help eligible seniors apply for the Statewide Medicaid Managed Care Long Term Care Program.

800-262-2243

This program is open to all those eligible for Medicare and focuses on health insurance counseling for Florida's older population. Appointments can be in-person in local libraries or senior centers, over telephone, over videoconference or via email. Advisors assist with questions regarding Medicare and Medigap Supplement Plans, prescription drugs, long-term care options and more.

800-625-2257

Open to adults aged 60 and over, this helpline offers pro bono legal advice regarding contracts, housing disputes, government benefits, power of attorney, guardianship and more. Some income restrictions apply.

904-765-2654

This senior center functions as a social and educational hub for Jacksonville's older adults. Events held at this location include computer classes intended to help older adults get up to speed on current technology, trivia games, group exercises and cookouts.

800-262-2243

This program is aimed at helping older adults recuperate at home from a hospital stay, and can be a useful option for certain seniors who are considering entering a memory care facility but wish to recover in their own homes or with family first. The CTP provides up to a month of assistance that may include transportation, homemaking and primary caregiver support.

Memory Care Laws and Regulations in Jacksonville

Jacksonville Memory Care Communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all Memory Care Facilities in Florida are required to follow. Visit our Memory Care in Florida page for more information about these laws.

Laws and regulations for memory care in Florida