Camellia at Deerwood

Reviews of Camellia at Deerwood

Assisted Living Reviews for Camellia at Deerwood

December 06, 2016

By KL451175

Camelia looked pleasant. The staff member who met with us was very well informed, professional, helpful, and pleasant. We actually had a meal there, and the meal was excellent. Part of what was appealing to us was they have assisted and independent living.

I am glad that you had a positive experience during your visit and thank you for recognizing our staff. We believe that providing exceptional customer service sets us apart from the other senior living choices that you have. Please reach out if there's ever anything we can help you with. Thanks, Perry Brown, General Manager

November 25, 2016

By Janet551383

Camellia at Deerwood's rooms are very nice. My mom has a 1-bedroom, and it's very nice. They do her laundry and housekeeping, and she gets 3 meals a day. It's a very nice community. They have a very nice dining area, and the food was OK. It's a little different to what she's used to eating, but I think will adjust. The staff is very helpful, and I am very pleased with them. They have lots of activities for them to do.

November 01, 2016

By Ms. Miller

Our experience at Camellia at Deerwood was very nice. It's a more intimate place than other places we visited, and the food was excellent. We met a lot of people who lived there because we have breakfast and dinner there, and we wandered around and talked to people and to the staff; everybody who lives there seemed to love it. It doesn't have skilled nursing -- just independent, assisted and memory care. It's pretty inside, but there are no tall trees outside. It's kept up very well though, and the staff is very competent and nice. It's small, but that's a nice thing. The people there felt like family.

September 10, 2016

By Greg111817

Camelia was brand new and had everything that anyone could ever want. It was too elaborate and too much, and my dad wants a small facility. It was five or six floors with multiple dining rooms and multiple places. It was very nice, and my wife said if we could, we would move there, but it’s not for my dad.

June 10, 2016

By Mrs. James734715

Camellia is clean, nice, and safe. They had a lot of activities to offer, but the price was a little bit high for my budget. I liked the physical surroundings, and the staff cared. They are knowledgeable and answer your questions.

Independent Living Reviews for Camellia at Deerwood

January 05, 2018

By Bud

I absolutely loved everything I did over at Camellia at Deerwood. The people were great, the facility was great, the eating area was great, and the rooms were great. The lady that showed us the place was great. That would be somewhere I would not mind sending my wife. If I had to be anywhere in Jacksonville, that would be where I would go. It was a great place.

May 25, 2017

By shelia627141

Camelia was like a mansion. it's modern, it has a swimming pool, it has a large fitness facility, and it had an in-door theater. It was expensive.

January 06, 2017

By John441166

It looked like the residents of Camellia at Deerwood were from a higher socio-economic group than we think of ourselves as being in. Everyone was very nice and professional. They had tours, and their amenities were a step up, but it was the most expensive place that we looked at; we eliminated it just for financial reasons. I wasn’t really impressed with their fitness room. I think they expect people to go out and do things outside of the facility, so they didn’t really have a lot of equipment. They offered either a game night or a movie night and those kinds of things. It was all very professional. For our needs I would put it at about a 4.

I’m sorry to hear that our community is not the right fit for you. We are proud of the quality services and amenities offered at Camellia. Our commitment is to provide the best services and care for our residents, as it is our number one commitment. We wish you all the best in your search for a community and welcome you back if you would like to tour again. Thanks, Perry Brown, General Manager

January 03, 2017

By sandoerr46

The apartments were great at Camellia at Deerwood. They didn’t have a full kitchen; just a mini-kitchen. The bathrooms were really nice and had the roll-in shower, so if you were in a wheelchair, you could get in and out very easily. It had a very nice pool and an inclined ramp with a hand rail going down into it as well as steps. The entire time that my son and I were there, even though we would say hello or nod to residents, not a single soul said anything to us. We ate lunch, but there was something just a little off about the meal that didn’t taste quite right. It wasn’t bad and spoiled; there was a saccharin aftertaste. My son had one entrée and I had another and we each sampled the other ones but both entrees had that same odd aftertaste. The dining room was very pretty and clean. It didn’t have any odors but didn’t seem overly homey, either.

Thank you for your feedback. We apologize your dining experience did not meet the high standards we strive to here at Camellia. While we are proud of our overall dining experience, we realize that there can be room for improvement. I invite you to come back into the community and hope you will give it another try – on us. We hope to see you soon. Thanks, Perry Brown, General Manager

June 28, 2016

By Sandra647807

None of the residents at Camellia at Deerwood spoke to us. They didn't even nod their heads and say hello, which was a little off-putting. We stayed and had lunch there, and the food was very good and service was excellent. It's more like checking into a very nice, upper-class hotel than a residential home. We spoke with Victoria who gave us the tour. She was thorough, I think, but seemed a little rushed. Supposedly, there were some other people who should be on the tour as well, but they didn't show up. We kind of felt like she was trying to get through with us if and when those individuals came and she could devote uninterrupted time to them. The apartment was very nice. It just didn't feel much like a home.

June 18, 2016

By Gigi011400

I looked at Camellia at Deerwood recently, but the one-bedroom was too small. Other than that, I very much liked it. It’s very lovely and offered a lot of activities. I liked it because the facility was new, very modern, and up to date.

June 17, 2016

By VI375615

Camellia at Deerwood was very nice. It's almost out of my price range, but they worked a lot with me to try to see if it could be workable with my budget. The staff was very nice. I met with the director and the marketing representative, and they were very helpful, knowledgeable, and seemed like they really wanted me to join their community. I had lunch there, and the food was very nice and served fairly quickly. The waitress was very friendly. I really don't have anything bad to say about them. The place was clean, and there were a lot of residents around. I would certainly recommend them. They seemed to have a nice variety of activities you could participate in.

January 29, 2016

By Helen119621950

Camellia at Deerwood is very nice. I find the rooms adequate, and nice. We move our person into a studio which is of course a little small, but really all she can handle. It has brand new carpet, and new cabinet. A lot about it is new so it is all shiny, and pretty. They have three meals a day.

October 28, 2015

We had lunch at Camellia At Deerwood and toured their facility. It was very nice. The apartments were nice. For the respite stay, they were furnished nicely. They have memory care, as well as a nursing. If I look to move my mother in there, she could stay in that facility, regardless at how badly she got. The staff was very nice, very helpful, and very friendly. I had lunch, and it was very good. They have line dancing, bingo, and exercise groups. The cleanliness of this facility was a step higher than the other facility.

August 15, 2015

By xssn720co

Food service has not improved in the 15 months my mother has been there. Legionella has not been eradicated since April 2014. We were rented the apartment without being told by the company about the legionella outbreak. Serious leadership and management issues there.

May 12, 2015

Someone recommend Camellia at Deerwood to me. It was very nice. I like the apartments. They were not just rooms. They had two-bedroom apartments with two baths, a little kitchen, and a living room. It was very convenient and homelike. The staff was helpful. They had a really nice dining room. The food was OK. They had a workout room, a game room, and a pool outside. The only thing I did not like about it was being too much in between all these apartments. If you look out a window, you’re going to see apartments. You are not going to see any kind of a view. They had a nice walking area, but it was not really that huge.

October 28, 2013

By Roberta2

I'll be moving into Camellia on the 30th of November. Right now, it's independent living on one wing and on the other wing, it's assisted living. They're just waiting for their license which will be coming in another month. This place was my choice because, honestly, they don't have as many sick people. A couple of places I went to looked like nursing homes and I couldn't deal with that. This facility was beautiful and well-kept. It was like walking into a resort. I like that everything has been in one building. They have a beautiful dining room. They have a bistro. They have a lovely library. They have a movie theater. If I want to get my hair done, it's also there. Everything is in one building and that's very nice. They also have transportation to doctors which I need desperately. I will have a one-bedroom apartment all by myself. Everything is included in the price. I don't have to pay for anything else. Regarding staff, I didn't see too many but they were younger than the ones I saw before. They have more enthusiasm about things and were very active, so that's what I like too. Food was excellent. It was very good.

October 09, 2013

By Donald13

Camellia at Deerwood is a new community. The place is excellent. The staff is very good, very cooperative, and very informative. I checked the other residents and they said it's an excellent facility and truly it turned out to be a very excellent place. I have been here for almost two months now and the price is perfect. I think it's just above average and it's lesser than other facilities. They just don't have enough people serving in their dining room, but the food is great and very well prepared.

September 30, 2013

By Van1

Camellia at Deerwood is less than a mile away from us. Everything is wonderful. The people were friendly. Everything was great except the price. They are charging $3000 for me and $500 for my spouse per month.

September 13, 2013

I'll be moving into Camellia next year. What I find appealing in this place is that the people there are very friendly. They seem to be concerned with each other. Their apartments are very nice. The staff there is very nice too. I just like this facility.

September 13, 2013

By Karen66846950

My mother had a complimentary stay before she chose Carmelia at Deerwood. We chose the place because it had all the things we wanted including a two-bedroom apartment, meals, transportation, and lots of activities, and it's a very nice facility. The staff are very enthusiastic and helpful.

August 29, 2013

By caring08222

The Camellia was very nice. It's more modern, it's a three year old facility and everything was very very nice. I liked that a lot, but there weren't many residents out there and my mom wanted to meet a lot of people.

May 11, 2013

By Brenda8

My husband and I are looking at different independent living facilities that we could move into, and we liked Camellia at Deerwood the most. The place was clean and the staff was warm, friendly, professional, and caring. I can't say well enough about them; they're wonderful. The food was good too, and they have two different specials on the menu every day. It was an excellent place. The residents seemed to be happy and are having such a good time.

Memory Care Reviews for Camellia at Deerwood

Questions about Camellia at Deerwood

What ongoing training does the staff receive in dementia care?

Aging is a natural process, and one that presents both joys and challenges along the way. And sometimes, we need a little extra help, which is why our community has onsite services to ensure mobility stays high and stress low. We have carefully selected partners who are known for their therapy skills, tailoring programs to meet your individual needs. Guided by professionals who have experience working with a range of issues, we help you get the compassionate and convenient care that helps you live your best life.

Describe the overall population of assisted living residents at Camellia at Deerwood. What is their average age? What are their favorite things to do?

If you’re looking for a community that understands and honors you as a unique individual, you’ve come to the right place. We understand you probably have many questions, and we’re here to help make the process as simple and straightforward as possible. In choosing Camellia at Deerwood, you can rest easy knowing that your lifestyle and your interests will be catered to and your expectations exceeded. With a variety of living options as well as wellness, cultural and educational programs offered daily, this is the place for you to live your best life—exactly as you want. It is home, after all.

What programs or activities does Camellia at Deerwood offer to enrich residents' well-being?

Living well can mean lots of things. It’s seizing opportunities to connect with others, explore interests, grow spiritually and nurture a healthy lifestyle. It’s being part of a community where you feel valued and welcome. At Camellia at Deerwood, we provide all the ingredients our residents need to live up to their full potential. From fitness lessons and mental health services to therapeutic programs and everyday activities that define our vibrant community, everything we do is guided by a sense of purpose.

What transportation services does Camellia at Deerwood offer to assisted living residents?

From around your neighborhood to out in the town, we want you to live your life to the fullest. We welcome residents to explore nearby attractions and events at their leisure and ensure that your travel is safe and convenient. Whether it’s to attend medical appointments or enjoy the local flavors and shops, we connect you with transportation you can count on.

What makes the chef or dining program at Camellia at Deerwood exceptional? What kind of menu can assisted living residents expect?

Food brings us together. Whether sharing an intimate meal with a best friend or celebrating a special occasion with all your loved ones, we guarantee that your appetite for connection with others and for the most delicious food will be satisfied.

What safety features or security measures does Camellia at Deerwood offer to assisted living residents?

Enrich everyday experiences and receive care that stands out from the rest at Camellia at Deerwood. In our assisted living lifestyle, residents enjoy the comforts of a place to call their very own while getting the personalized assistance they need throughout their daily routines. From planned activities to social events, assisted living residents participate in fulfilling experiences throughout the day and have 24/7 help at their fingertips.

If Camellia at Deerwood accepts dogs or cats, what indoor/outdoor areas can they enjoy?

We accept small pets at our community. Enjoy beautiful, landscaped grounds and private apartments with your choice of balcony or patio.

Describe the overall population of independent living residents at Camellia at Deerwood. What is their average age? What are their favorite things to do?

With day-to-day freedom to come and go, and the convenience of any number of activities to choose from, independent living at Camellia at Deerwood is a perfect fit for an active, healthy lifestyle. Enjoy restaurant-quality dining and weekly social gatherings, and feel empowered to explore personal interests. When residents feel like venturing into the larger community, our team connects them with transportation to everything they’re accustomed to doing.

What transportation services does Camellia at Deerwood offer to independent living residents?

What makes the chef or dining program at Camellia at Deerwood exceptional? What kind of menu can independent living residents expect?

What time is dinner? Whenever you choose. With dining anytime, incredible menu items and multi-venue options, you can savor the day on your own schedule. Whether you are an early riser or late sleeper, our program provides the flexibility to meet your unique lifestyle. You’ll always have a seat at the table.

What common areas are available for independent living residents?

Choice of studio and one- or two-bedroom floor plans with full kitchens Balcony or patio and washer and dryer connections in select apartment styles Housekeeping and maintenance, including linen service Many utilities included, with individually controlled heating and air conditioning Outdoor swimming pool Fitness Center Beauty Salon/Barber Shop and Spa

What safety features or security measures does Camellia at Deerwood provide to protect residents who wander?

The challenges presented by memory loss can be difficult to navigate, but we’re here to help every step of the way. Camellia at Deerwood offers an innovative approach to memory care for those with memory impairments, including Alzheimer’s and dementia. Our Village Program offers personalized programming that engages residents in activities that may reflect their former schedules, lifestyles and interests while helping them feel safe and appreciated. Through enriching experiences and by establishing caring personal relationships with our residents, we find great sources of enjoyment and comfort—together.

What programs or activities does Camellia at Deerwood offer to keep residents engaged? How does the staff engage residents' long-term memories?

We offer a calendar as full as you want it to be. Feel free to choose from any number of activities, or just relax in the comfort of home and in the company of friends.

Is Camellia at Deerwood affiliated with a hospital if more care is needed?

Costs for Camellia at Deerwood

Photos of Camellia at Deerwood

Services and Amenities of Camellia at Deerwood

• Pool

About Camellia at Deerwood

Camellia at Deerwood sets the standard in senior living, with a lifestyle dedicated to whole person wellness. Enjoy a vibrant community in a supportive, active, and enriching environment where assistance is available when you need it. Nestled in sunny, southeast Jacksonville, you’ll find exciting venues like the Museum of Science and History, Jacksonville Zoo and Gardens, Jacksonville Symphony, championship golf courses like Pointe Vedra Beach, and numerous dining options. You’ll love living near everything the Jacksonville Beaches have to offer. Our community is the perfect place to explore hobbies and forge friendships. Whether taking a stroll down our walking paths, browsing our creative gallery, or relaxing in our outdoor swimming pool, you’ll feel at ease.

At Camellia at Deerwood it’s easy to stay as involved and engaged as you choose. Meet up with friends for a quick bite in our bistro, or take in a recent blockbuster in our movie theater. Test your aim in our billiards room, or focus on fitness in our exercise room. Step outside and discover peaceful outdoor spaces. Swim a few laps in our picturesque pool or take a stroll around our beautiful community.

Map of Camellia at Deerwood