Jacksonville is a cosmopolitan city on the Atlantic Coast. With a population approaching 950,000, 13.4% of whom are aged 65 and older, it’s Florida’s most populous city. The city’s long shoreline has beaches to suit most tastes. Jacksonville has a growing reputation for its food, with highly recommended restaurants serving local delicacies and world cuisine. Its rich and diverse cultural heritage is reflected in the historic neighborhoods west of downtown, the Jacksonville Jazz Festival and the Jacksonville Symphony.

Assisted living can be a good solution for seniors who find living at home increasingly challenging. Facilities offer clean and comfortable rooms, opportunities to socialize with other residents and staff trained to care for everyday needs. The typical monthly fee in Jacksonville is $4,660, which is $660 more than the state median and $160 more than the U.S. average for this type of care.

This guide discusses the advantages and disadvantages of residing in Jacksonville and the costs of assisted living in nearby cities. It also reveals costs for other types of senior care and lists some helpful resources.

Directory of Assisted Living Facilities in Jacksonville, FL

Cypress Village

4600 Middleton Park Circle East, Jacksonville, FL, 32224

We went to look at Cypress Village. The tour was wonderful. Everybody was so kind and helpful. We enjoyed the meal. The apartments were nice. It was just very expensive, so we kind of gave up on that. … (read more)

Wyndham Lakes

10660 Old St. Augustine Road, Jacksonville, FL, 32257

I visited Wyndham Lakes assisted living. It’s a nice community for people that need that and doesn’t have families. The dining area seems more like a family dining environment. Cleanliness could be im … (read more)

Camellia at Deerwood

10061 Sweetwater Pkwy, Jacksonville, FL, 32256

We went in and had a tour of Camellia at Deerwood. It’s a beautiful facility. The lady that we met with was very accommodating. She showed us around. We like the place. They had a swimming pool, the a … (read more)

2014, 2015

Brookdale Southside

9601 Southbrook Dr., Jacksonville, FL, 32256

Brookdale Southside was wonderful. It had everything my cousin needed plus some. The lady I met was very, very informative, very helpful, and showed us everything. The room would be perfect for him. I … (read more)

Fountains at Mill Cove

9960 Atrium Way, Jacksonville, FL, 32225

My mom was a patient at the Fountains At mill cove rehab center. The first night she was dropped off no one checked on her, she was unable to get to the bathroom on her own. No one monitored her blood … (read more)

2015

The Windsor at Ortega

5939 Roosevelt Boulevard, Jacksonville, FL, 32205

The Windsor at Ortega was excellent. It was like a room in a hotel. The place was sparkling and I think it’s brand new. They took us on a tour for both assisted living and memory care. They were very … (read more)

Sunrise of Jacksonville

4870 Belfort Road, Jacksonville, FL, 32256

We have found Sunrise of Jacksonville for my mom. The living facility was immaculate, and it felt homey. I watched very carefully to see how the people that live there are interacting with the people … (read more)

Sodalis Jacksonville

7620 Timberlin Park, Jacksonville, FL, 32256

Sodalis Jacksonville was everything that I was looking for and more. It’s nice and it looked like it was well kept. The staff was friendly and helpful. The rooms were OK until I found out that you hav … (read more)

Brookdale Avondale

4455 Merrimac Avenue, Jacksonville, FL, 32210

We toured Brookdale Avondale. We scheduled a tour with a contact person there. We did not get to meet with him, but we did have someone step in to give us the tour. It was chaotic there, and it was ha … (read more)

2013, 2016, 2022

Atria Park of San Pablo

14199 Wm Davis Parkway, Jacksonville, FL, 32224

My family member has been a resident at the Atria Senior Living facility for over two years. The staff, activities, food and management are extremely good. I would happily refer anyone to this locat … (read more)

Starling of San Jose

9075 San Jose Boulevard, Jacksonville, FL, 32257

We went to Starling of San Jose. It was a very possible place. It was a nice clean facility. It seemed very, very nice. The staff were very nice. The rooms were adequate. It was a bigger facility; it … (read more)

Brookdale Mandarin

10790 Old St. Augustine Road, Jacksonville, FL, 32086

I like being here at Brookdale Mandarin. Everybody is very friendly and open. We have little group meetings where we get together and talk about anything and everything. Management is very good. Every … (read more)

2016

The Windsor at San Pablo

4000 San Pablo Parkway, Jacksonville, FL, 32224

My mother is a resident of The Windsor. She has really enjoyed living there. The employees there are so kind to all the residents. I visit with her a lot and I see how much respect the residents ar … (read more)

The Cove at Marsh Landing

1700 The Greens Way, Jacksonville, FL, 32250

The Cove at Marsh Landing is a nice place. It was less expensive and it’s beautiful. They have activities and the people are friendly. It’s a good place. My mom has a studio of about 350 square feet. … (read more)

2012

HarborChase of Jacksonville

3455 San Pablo Road S, Jacksonville, FL, 32224

We chose HarborChase of Jacksonville for mom, and everything has been fine so far. They’ve made a lot of effort to assess what she needs, and everything has been provided.

Better Days Senior Living

2317 Gilmore St., Jacksonville, FL, 32204

We have a client in this facility – and they take great care of him! It is always clean, and the communication between the staff and myself has always been great!

Mi Casa Adult Living Facility

6856 St Augustine Road, Jacksonville, FL, 32217

Mi Casa Adult Living Facility was like a house and felt crowded. I liked that the language was Spanish, but it’s narrow, there’s not enough space, and it’s expensive. I felt claustrophobic. The sta … (read more)

HarborChase of Mandarin

12350 San Jose Blvd., Jacksonville, FL, 32223

We completed a tour at HarborChase of Mandarin assisted living. The place was amazing and we liked it. The people were super nice. The staff was also very friendly and courteous. I didn’t see a room b … (read more)

Brookdale Southpoint

6895 Belfort Oaks Place, Jacksonville, FL, 32216

I went to Brookdale Southpoint. It’s a little bit better than the other place I visited. The staff was very accommodating, friendly, and very helpful. They showed me around and answered all my questio … (read more)

Noble Gardens of Jacksonville

7024 Wiley Road, Jacksonville, FL, 32210

We were so blessed to have found this facility for our Grandma after an extensive search! Fabulous Staff, beautifully maintained, an abundance of activities, food is way above average! All in all extr … (read more)

COVID-19 Rules for Assisted Living in Jacksonville

Since most COVID-19 rules for Assisted Living Communities and other Senior Living Facilities are set at the state level, you can view the specific rules for your state on our Guide to Assisted Living in Florida. Keep in mind that every community has specific policies that they put in place to protect their residents, so you should contact your local community for more information. Additionally, you can contact your local Area Agency on Aging to learn more – find contact information here.

What to Consider About Assisted Living in Jacksonville

The Florida Agency for Health Care Administration issues licenses to assisted living facilities that satisfy the necessary conditions, such as a fire safety certificate, adequate insurance and compliance with relevant health and safety laws. The facility’s director must also be licensed, which involves passing the ALF Director course and passing an FBI level 2 background check.

Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Jacksonville

• Florida’s tax-friendly status helps retirees in Jacksonville hold on to more of their money. The state is known for not taxing incomes, which includes Social Security benefits and pensions, but it also doesn’t have an inheritance tax or estate tax, enabling seniors to pass on more of their wealth to loved ones. The Jacksonville taxpayer service center can help older residents get answers to their tax-related questions.
  • Jacksonville is a more affordable place to live than most in Florida. Its average cost of living index is 93.5, which is lower than the state’s 102.8 and the country’s 100. The city’s health cost index is lower than average too, at 97.1, which suggests Jacksonville’s seniors are more likely to get health care for better rates than normal.
  • Florida justifies its reputation as “the sunshine state”, a statement Jacksonville supports by having around 221 sunny days annually. The city’s average temperatures are also senior-friendly, with July usually a warm 91 degrees and January a cool 44 degrees. The above-average rainfall contributes to humid days in summer, but it also benefits residents by enriching the soil that’s birthed an abundance of trees, green lawns and varied flora.
  • Jacksonville’s health cost index of 97 puts it into the better-than-average category for the country. Although the water quality needs improving, other factors give the city an overall better score. These include shorter commute times when compared to other U.S. cities and a high number of Medicare-registered physicians per 100,000 residents — 50 more than the national average of 210.
  • As with all major cities, Jacksonville has crime. Its property and violent crime figures are significantly higher than state and national averages. Seniors concerned about crime may wish to consider assisted living facilities where, statistically, recorded crime is less frequent. An additional benefit of residing in an assisted living facility is there’s usually a staff member nearby and the building and surrounding areas are typically monitored 24/7 by security and surveillance equipment.

Paying for Assisted Living in Jacksonville

Floridians thinking of assisted living in Jacksonville should consider budgeting for more than the state median of $4,000, as the city’s average rate is $4,660 per month. Those relocating from elsewhere are less likely to notice as great a difference, as the national median is $4,500.

The Cost of Assisted Living in Nearby Cities

Jacksonville’s costs are almost the highest in North Florida, exceeded only by Panama City’s average of $5,081. Moving down the coast to the Deltona area can see savings of $685 per month. Significant savings are also likely for seniors considering Gainesville, as the city’s median fee is $2,350, which is about half Jacksonville’s average.

$4660

Deltona

$2350

Gainesville

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

Many seniors needing daily assistance prefer to remain at home. In Jacksonville, this is likely to incur costs of $1,625 per month if they choose adult day health care, $4,481 for homemaker services or $4,767 for a home health aide. In all those cases, the senior will still need to pay for their home or utilities, which isn’t necessary for assisted living, where costs average $4,660. Nursing home care is significantly more expensive, with the typical semiprivate room costing $8,213 and a private one $8,882.

$4481

Adult Day Health Care

$4660

Assisted Living Facility

$8213

Nursing Home Facility (semiprivate room)

$8882

Nursing Home Facility (private room)

Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Jacksonville

Florida has a number of programs that can help seniors afford assisted living in Jacksonville. One is the Optional State Supplement (OSS) provided by the Florida Department of Children and Families. Eligible seniors may also find assistance through Florida Medicaid.

Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Florida page.

Paying for Assisted Living Facilities in Florida

More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living

• Veterans Benefits
  • Life Insurance Policy
  • Long-Term Care Insurance
  • Reverse Mortgage

For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Florida page.

Free Assisted Living Resources in Jacksonville

The following list provides links to some of the nonprofit organizations dedicated to helping seniors in and around Jacksonville. They can help veterans who may be losing out on benefits they’re entitled to and seniors unaware of their rights as assisted living residents. There are also links for seniors who want to engage more with others in their age group and those who want to support people in need.

Resource

Contact

Service

RSVP is a national volunteer program open to adults aged 55 and older who want to use their knowledge and skills to educate others or assist those in need. Projects for volunteers are varied, such as Tale Tellers, which involves reading to children, and Assisting Veterans, which helps to reduce food insecurity among the homeless.

The City of Jacksonville Senior Services Division manages several resources suitable for residents in assisted living facilities. It operates senior centers that offer a wide range of mentally and physically stimulating programs and classes and counseling services on health and social matters. The division can provide door-to-door transportation to and from the centers and hosts day trips.

The Florida Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program is an advocate for seniors in assisted living facilities who are in dispute with their facility's owners or managers. The program trains volunteers to be ombudsmen, who regularly visit facilities to educate seniors on their rights and investigate their complaints. Families of residents and third parties can also register their concerns with the ombudsman, who will seek resolutions through negotiation and counseling.

Veterans' services officers in the Jacksonville Vet Center help those who served their country identify and apply for the state and federal services they're entitled to. They can also help challenge negative decisions made by benefits departments and advise vets on programs that can cover some long-term care costs, such as VA Aid and Attendance. Additionally, they refer veterans and their dependents to medical and non-medical facilities within the VA North Florida/South Georgia Health Care System.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Jacksonville

Jacksonville-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Florida are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Florida page for more information about these laws.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Florida