65 Assisted Living Facilities near Jacksonville, FL
Jacksonville is both a thriving cultural hub as well as a gorgeous beach community, with boundless opportunities for older adults and their loved ones. To help seniors find the assisted living community that’s right for their family, we’ve researched and compiled in-depth information about the cost of care, how to pay for care, and important local laws and regulations involving senior care and assisted living.
With an average cost of $3,518 in Jacksonville, it’s often difficult to find assisted living communities that provide high-quality care at an affordable price. At Caring.com, our mission is to make this process as smooth and painless as possible, and we’ve helped many families along the way.
This guide provides everything you need to quickly compare communities and narrow your search, including 370 unique reviews from residents and our comprehensive database that gives pricing, amenity information, photos and more on the 60 facilities in Jacksonville.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Jacksonville, FL
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Jacksonville
Nearly 13 percent of Jacksonville's population of 892,062 residents are ages 65 and older. Some of these seniors may benefit from living in one of the area's 60 assisted living facilities, along with four facilities located nearby in Ponte Vedra and Fernandina Beach.
In Florida, the Bureau of Health Facility Regulation oversees assisted living facilities (ALFs). These facilities can acquire several different licenses, including Limited Nursing, Limited Mental Health, Extended Congregate Care and Standard. These licensing requirements ensure ALFs in Jacksonville and the rest of the state deliver high-quality care to seniors.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Jacksonville
- Seniors hoping to escape cold and snowy winters will appreciate Jacksonville's climate. January low temperatures dip into the 40s, and the area sees no snow. Summer temperatures soar above 90 degrees. Jacksonville enjoys more sunny days than the national average but more rain than average as well.
- Getting around Jacksonville is convenient with public transit. The Jacksonville Transportation Authority has routes that travel throughout the city, and seniors 65 and older ride for free.
- Jacksonville's cost of living is close to average, ranking 99.5 on a scale where 100 represents the U.S. average. Housing costs are lower than average at 88, and healthcare costs rank 97. Seniors may want to consider the cost of living when researching assisted living facilities in the area.
- The crime rate in Jacksonville is 55.1, which is higher than the national average of 31.1. Assisted living facilities help ensure resident safety with call buttons in every unit and staff on site 24 hours a day.
- The Jacksonville area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Baptist Medical Center Jacksonville, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Jacksonville has an array of community resources for seniors, including the City of Jacksonville's Community and Senior Center Services Program, a program that offers cultural activities, computer classes and nutrition assistance, as well as more than 20 senior centers.
Paying for Assisted Living in Jacksonville
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Florida
Assisted Living costs in Jacksonville start around $3,477 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Jacksonville and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Jacksonville
Florida has a number of programs that can help seniors afford assisted living in Jacksonville. One is the Optional State Supplement (OSS) provided by the Florida Department of Children and Families. Eligible seniors may also find assistance through Florida Medicaid.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Florida page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Florida page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Jacksonville
Jacksonville and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Jacksonville, please visit our Assisted Living in Florida page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Jacksonville
Jacksonville-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Florida are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Florida page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near Jacksonville, FL
Other Options in Jacksonville, FL
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Jacksonville
Review of Elmcroft of Timberlin Parc
My mother has a lovely, large one bedroom apt. Her apt. has two windows (one in the living room and one in her bedroom) that provide as much natural light as she wants. Her bedroom closet is huge... Read more
Review of Sunrise of Jacksonville
Sunrise of Jacksonville was a beautiful facility, very well laid out, it was a nice place. It was modern and spacious, and there's plenty of opportunities for the residents. The staff was very know... Read more
Review of Ingleside Retirement
My friend was at Ingleside ALF Home. I loved the place. The people bent over backwards to accommodate her. However, my friend is very demanding and high maintenance. Nothing that the director could... Read more