Brookdale Avondale

Brookdale Avondale (800) 385-2527

Reviews of Brookdale Avondale

Assisted Living Reviews for Brookdale Avondale

September 06, 2015

I thought Brookdale Avondale was a little expensive for what they offered. However, it looked like a place my mom would love because it was very small. The apartments were very small. They did not have any two-bedrooms. The staff was awesome. The dining area looked very nice. It was more like home. It was cozy.

April 17, 2015

By Mike104784550

Brookdale Avondale seemed like a nice place and was completely adequate for the services it offered. The person that gave me the tour seemed pleasant. The surroundings seemed pleasant, and it seemed fine for the services they delivered.

May 10, 2014

By Janet83484650

We had a nice tour at Sterling House, and we saw all the services that they provided. It was an older facility, but it was nice. They were very patient-oriented. All of the staff, I was sure then they saw a tour guide bringing people, put on their best behavior. They were all friendly and on a first-name basis with their people. I looked into various offices, and I didn't see any dissention in the work place. If there had been, they couldn't hide it that quickly with us coming down the hall. It was nice, but my husband was not really impressed with it because he said it reminded him of the place where his sister was in. It was full nursing care, and I thought they had assisted living because I saw a lot of people going about as they wanted. It was very secure. It wasn't really roomy because the smallest unit I saw was two beds in a very small room. So, it was definitely confined.

March 31, 2014

We visited Sterling House, and it was very nice. It was closer to our other relatives. The staff was fine. I thought my sister would have been fine there. However, my she liked to walk outside, and it had no place to walk outside.

December 27, 2013

By Teresa27

Sterling House was very clean. They had just redone it. The rooms and walls are newly painted and they had redone the floors, too. However, to me it was cold because it didn't have a whole lot of furniture and decorations.

November 27, 2013

By mamapound

My aunt resided at Sterling House of Merrimac and the facility is very nice. From what I recall, the staff are very attentive and the place was very clean. It was very modern looking. Everything was just very impressive. She had a studio apartment with a little kitchen and it was very nice.

July 31, 2013

By Anita0269??

My father is at the Sterling House. I live here in Jacksonville and I needed to be near him that's why I placed him there. This is an assisted living facility. I am a nurse and I would prefer that there was a better nursing care there. They have LPNs who are petty good but there is only one RN who is over everything. They got problems with messages getting lost from 3-11 shift to the morning shift because they don't have anybody to give report to during the night and there is no nurse on duty at nighttime. The second thing that I think is problematic is the aides that they have. They missed a lot on little things in caring for my father. If I didn't go there every single day to see him, a lot of things that I have insisted on would not get done. Overall, their staff is fairly good but I just have to be there daily to check on those little things, e.g. changing sheets, feeding my father, etc. They do need to educate their aides more in terms of caring for their patients. They also need an RN that goes around making sure that these aides are taking care of their patients properly. They need someone to oversee the little things. Their activity director there is good but activities are dumbed down. They are not age appropriate for their residents. They have people there who may be 96 years old but don't want to color. They also don't offer card games. They play bingo and that's it. There is a lot of rooms for improvement in terms of the activities they offer. I also think they could improve on with regard to food. Aside from them not getting big portions, residents would have mashed potatoes five to six times a week. For what we're paying there in a year, food should be better.

July 30, 2013

By Earle

I have a friend that recently moved in the Sterling House and I am very impressed with it's cleanliness. We visited that person regularly. It is a little expensive and their rooms are quite small, but my friend likes this facility very much. Also their staff seems very competent and very nice. They really could improve on the sizes of their rooms and also maybe make living their more affordable.

June 12, 2011

By T0bJung

Friend or relative of resident

I have never wanted my grandparents to have to live at a senior living center, due to the fact that I am a nurse and would love to care for them myself. However, it is just not possible at the time and I feel that we couldn't have picked a better place. Not only is the environment beautiful, but the staff is so pleasant and welcoming, but also the staff treats everyone like they are individuals and truly listen to the problems the residents have. The rooms are always clean and in the times that I have been present the staff responds to the residents in a timly manner and do not leave them waiting all day to receive help. My grandparents and I also feel that the food they offer is top of the line, among many other services they provide. They even off nutritious snacks throughout the day, where as other facilities sometimes did not and also did not offer very tasty food. I am very pleased that we choose this as their new home and I plan on visiting as much as I can.

Questions about Brookdale Avondale

Describe the overall population of assisted living residents at Brookdale Avondale. What is their average age? What are their favorite things to do?

We have a wide age range at Brookdale Avondale. Our ages are from 67 to 102! The average age, however, is 85. We love to be active. So our favorite things are going out for lunch and theater; morning exercise and trivia; crafts like painting and mosaics.

What programs or activities does Brookdale Avondale offer to enrich residents' well-being?

We have programs for the six dimensions of wellness. We have Intellectual programs like trivia and lectures; Purposeful programs like volunteering and creating beautiful things to donate to those in need; Social programs like happy hour and lunch and movie outings; Physical programs like exercise, walking club and gardening; Spiritual programs like bible study and church services; Emotional programs like My Life Story.

What places are near Brookdale Avondale or within walking distance for assisted living residents to enjoy?

The Roosevelt Mall is less than 1 mile from Brookdale Avondale. Within this mall, you will find shopping at Lucy’s Boutique, Stein Mart and Publix. You can also dine at Longhorn Steakhouse, Okinawa Japanese Grill house or Metro Diner.

What transportation services does Brookdale Avondale offer to assisted living residents?

Brookdale Avondale provides transportation to doctors appointments and activities events.

What makes the chef or dining program at Brookdale Avondale exceptional? What kind of menu can assisted living residents expect?

Our Chef has been here for 5 years. She is an exceptional cook especially when it comes to that wonderful southern soul food that we love! All of our meals are prepared from scratch with only the freshest ingredients. We have a special for lunch and dinner every day and there is an extensive list of always available items that are offered every day!

What safety features or security measures does Brookdale Avondale offer to assisted living residents?

Brookdale Avondale is a locked community so it is easy for us to protect our residents from outsiders. We also have nurses working with our residents every day and they make sure that our residents receive the medical care that they need.

How does Brookdale Avondale keep residents' families informed about their loved ones?

We talk to our residents and their families every week. We communicate by phone, text or email. We also talk to them in person when they come to visit!

What is the care staff-to-resident ratio at Brookdale Avondale during daytime and nighttime hours?

Right now, we have up to 1 staff member for every 7 residents during the day. At night, we have 1 staff member for every 15 residents.

If Brookdale Avondale accepts dogs or cats, what indoor/outdoor areas can they enjoy?

We do accept dogs and cats! We have a lovely courtyard area where the dogs and cats can run free and enjoy the outside. We also have a walking path around the building where you can walk your dog or cat and enjoy the creek, the trees and the pond.

What ongoing senior care training does the staff receive?

Our associates receive training several times a month. We receive training on various subjects that relate to our seniors.

What safety features or security measures does Brookdale Avondale provide to protect residents who wander?

? Brookdale Avondale is a locked community so our residents are protected from strangers and they are protected from getting lost.

Photos of Brookdale Avondale

Services and Amenities of Brookdale Avondale

• Dining Extra: Private Dining Room

• Pets: Yes

• State Licenses: AL9013

About Brookdale Avondale

Brookdale Avondale provides assisted living residents with lifestyles, housing, and services in comfortable surroundings combined with exceptional amenities, programs, and care. Through Brookdale's signature Personalized Assisted Living, we customize our care offerings for the individual. This allows each resident at our community the freedom and opportunity to make choices that will ease their lifestyle transitions. Residents enjoy life with the support they need, coupled with the appropriate accommodations as their needs change.

Map of Brookdale Avondale