Middleburg is an unincorporated area and census-designated place in Clay County, about 28 miles southwest of Jacksonville. It’s a relatively small town of just under 13,000 residents, including about 1,700 seniors aged 65 and older. Middleburg appeals to seniors who like a more peaceful, rural existence but with the convenience of having big-city amenities less than 30 minutes away. Seniors who like the great outdoors may enjoy visiting Jennings State Forest, taking a boat ride on Black Creek, fishing from one of the area’s many piers or strolling along the boardwalks through the wetlands.

Assisted living facilities provide personal care and supportive services in a less restrictive, homelike setting that’s ideal for seniors who want to remain as independent as possible and don’t need around-the-clock care. The average monthly cost of assisted living in Middleburg is $4,150, which is higher than the state average but less than the national median.

Seniors can use this guide to compare the average costs of assisted living in nearby cities and other types of senior care. This guide also covers some benefits and drawbacks of retiring in Middleburg and provides a list of free local resources for seniors.

Directory of Assisted Living Facilities in Middleburg, FL

Canterfield of Clay County

1611 Winners Circle, Middleburg, FL, 32068

I have a parent in the Memory Unit. The staff is excellent and always keeps me up to date on how she is doing. Highly recommended. Food is good, place is clean.

Pine Crest Manor

2835 CR 220, Middleburg, FL, 32068

We went to see the Pine Crest Manor assisted living facility while in the region looking for a place for my friend’s mother to live. The outside grounds were nicely manicured, where they host private … (read more)

Wyndham Lakes

10660 Old St. Augustine Road, Jacksonville, FL, 32257

Wyndham Lakes is a bigger facility. I liked that everybody’s on the first floor, which was nice. They try to accommodate who’s more mobile than others. They try and provide a room closer to the activi … (read more)

2015

The Windsor at Ortega

5939 Roosevelt Boulevard, Jacksonville, FL, 32205

The Windsor at Ortega was excellent. It was like a room in a hotel. The place was sparkling and I think it’s brand new. They took us on a tour for both assisted living and memory care. They were very … (read more)

Brookdale Avondale

4455 Merrimac Avenue, Jacksonville, FL, 32210

We toured Brookdale Avondale. We scheduled a tour with a contact person there. We did not get to meet with him, but we did have someone step in to give us the tour. It was chaotic there, and it was ha … (read more)

Starling of San Jose

9075 San Jose Boulevard, Jacksonville, FL, 32257

We went to Starling of San Jose. It was a very possible place. It was a nice clean facility. It seemed very, very nice. The staff were very nice. The rooms were adequate. It was a bigger facility; it … (read more)

Palagio Senior Living

1525 Kingsley Ave, Orange Park, FL, 32073

I toured Palagio Senior Living for a loved one. It was beautiful. It’s new and very clean. The staff that I saw was very friendly. It was just a gorgeous place. It was very nice, and I liked it. The … (read more)

Brookdale Mandarin

10790 Old St. Augustine Road, Jacksonville, FL, 32086

I like being here at Brookdale Mandarin. Everybody is very friendly and open. We have little group meetings where we get together and talk about anything and everything. Management is very good. Every … (read more)

Diamond Assisted Living and Memory Care

3339 Highway 17, Green Cove Springs, FL, 32043

My mother-in-law is in moving into Diamond Assisted Living and Memory Care. We chose it because it is very, very clean, and has a friendly staff. The place is kept up nicely. The patients there were a … (read more)

Brookdale Orange Park

1248 Kingsley Ave., Orange Park, FL, 32073

I went to Brookdale Orange Park, and I loved the tour. I liked the guy that we had spoken to. He was reassuring. They were clean. I loved the staff. Everybody was really warm. There’s nothing bad I co … (read more)

Premier Assisted Living

319 Eldridge Ave., Orange Park, FL, 32073

We’re going to be moving my mom into Astoria Assisted Living Facility. They’re remodeling everything, so whatever you want in the room, they’re going to fix it up. They have a theater room, a li … (read more)

Mi Casa Adult Living Facility

6856 St Augustine Road, Jacksonville, FL, 32217

Mi Casa Adult Living Facility was like a house and felt crowded. I liked that the language was Spanish, but it’s narrow, there’s not enough space, and it’s expensive. I felt claustrophobic. The sta … (read more)

Seagrass Village of Fleming Island

1949 E West Pkwy, Fleming Island, FL, 32003

We have chosen Seagrass Village of Fleming Island because of its location. It just has what was right for us. The staff I spoke with was very, very nice. She was good. She went over and explained some … (read more)

HarborChase of Mandarin

12350 San Jose Blvd., Jacksonville, FL, 32223

We completed a tour at HarborChase of Mandarin assisted living. The place was amazing and we liked it. The people were super nice. The staff was also very friendly and courteous. I didn’t see a room b … (read more)

Noble Gardens of Jacksonville

7024 Wiley Road, Jacksonville, FL, 32210

We were so blessed to have found this facility for our Grandma after an extensive search! Fabulous Staff, beautifully maintained, an abundance of activities, food is way above average! All in all extr … (read more)

Acacia Grove Assisted Living Facility

2485 Ridgecrest Ave, Orange Park, FL, 32065

Spring Gardens Of Orange Park Inc

2550 Sandlewood Cir, Orange Park, FL, 32065

Westminster Woods on Julington Creek

25 STATE ROAD 13, Jacksonville, FL, 32259

Westminster Woods on Julington Creek looked very warm and inviting. We all liked the rooms. It just felt like home to us because we happen to live on the water, and there are big oak trees and everyth … (read more)

2016

Allegro

3651 Highway 17, Fleming Island, FL, 32003

We looked at Allegro over in Fleming Island and the staff was wonderful and the people there were really joyful, but the rooms were so small. In assisted living there were no two-bedroom apartments, a … (read more)

Benton House of Oakleaf

417 Oakleaf Plantation Parkway, Jacksonville, FL, 32222

My mom and dad will move into Benton House at Oakleaf tomorrow. It was very nice, it’s small, quaint, and not overpowering like so many of the other places. The staff is very nice, very knowledgeable. … (read more)

What to Consider About Assisted Living in Middleburg

Health facilities in Florida must be licensed by the Florida Agency for Health Care Administration. The Florida AHCA’s Division of Health Quality Assurance oversees assisted living facilities, including licensing and certifications. To ensure facilities comply with licensure requirements, its Bureau of Field Operations completes on-site surveys. The Jacksonville Field Office oversees assisted living facilities throughout Clay County, including in Middleburg.

Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Middleburg

• Seniors may flock to Florida because it’s extremely tax-friendly toward retirees. Florida doesn’t have any state income tax, so Social Security benefits and all forms of retirement income aren’t taxed, which helps stretch seniors’ budgets
  • Florida’s average combined sales tax rate is 7.01%, ranking the state 23rd in the nation. Unfortunately, Clay County taxes are right at this average, so the county’s taxes are higher than 84.5% of other cities and counties in Florida. However, groceries and prescription drugs are tax exempt.
  • Middleburg seniors benefit from having a local hospital to serve their medical needs. Ascension St. Vincent’s Clay County is a general medical and surgical facility in Middleburg with an on-site ICU and emergency department. It was rated high performing for three adult procedures and conditions, including the treatment of heart failure, kidney failure and COPD. Veterans can also take advantage of the Middleburg VA Clinic, which offers a range of medical services to eligible seniors.
  • The cost of living in Middleburg is only slightly higher than the national average, by less than 2%. However, it’s about 1% lower than the statewide average. Health care and grocery costs are about the same as the national average, but housing costs are around 12% lower.
  • Middleburg has a soggy climate with an average of 51 inches of rainfall annually, compared to the national average of 38 inches, but it doesn’t get any snow. While seniors enjoy 222 sunny days each year, on average, the area also sees precipitation about 112 days out of the year. Humidity can be stifling in July and August, leading to a poor 3.3 out of 10 comfort index rating for the summer months. However, Middleburg scores an 8.4 on the comfort index for its relatively mild winters.

Paying for Assisted Living in Middleburg

According to Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey, the average cost of assisted living in Middleburg is $4,150 per month. While this monthly rate is higher than the state average by $450, it’s lower than the national average by $150.

The Cost of Assisted Living in Nearby Cities

Middleburg is higher than some and lower than others when comparing its average cost of assisted living to nearby cities. Its cost is higher than Ocala’s by $150 per month and higher than Deltona’s by $100. In contrast, its cost is lower than Gainesville’s by $421 and significantly lower than Tallahassee’s by $1,356 per month.

$4150

Gainesville

$5506

Tallahassee

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

Besides assisted living, retirees in Middleburg have several other types of senior care available. For those needing limited assistance, adult day health care is the least costly at $1,408. Seniors wanting to receive care in their home can expect to pay about $4,385 for homemaker services or $4,433 for home health aides. Nursing home facilities provide extensive around-the-clock care, making it the costliest option at an average of $8,638 for semi-private rooms or $9,885 for private rooms.

$4385

Adult Day Health Care

$4150

Assisted Living Facility

$8638

Nursing Home Facility (semiprivate room)

$9885

Nursing Home Facility (private room)

Note: Data for Middleburg was unavailable, so data for the nearest city, Jacksonville, was used instead.

Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Middleburg

Residents of assisted living facilities in Middleburg may be eligible for financial assistance through the Medicaid Long Term Care Program and the Assistive Care Services waiver. Additional funding may also be available for the Optional State Supplement for seniors who receive Social Security income.

Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Florida page.

Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Florida

More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living

• Veterans Benefits
  • Life Insurance Policy
  • Long-Term Care Insurance
  • Reverse Mortgage

For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Florida page.

Free Assisted Living Resources in Middleburg

Seniors needing supportive services that help them remain active or offer socialization opportunities will find several free resources serving Middleburg. Local, county and state government and nonprofit entities offer an array of programs and services for older adults in assisted living and other types of senior living settings.

Resource

Contact

Services

The Council on Aging of Clay County is a nonprofit organization with services designed to enhance the life of seniors aged 60 and older. Services include transportation, congregate meals and senior centers that provide activities and socialization. In Middleburg, services are provided at the Weigel Senior Center.

The Clay County Veterans Services Officer serves as a liaison for local seniors seeking to obtain veterans’ benefits. The officer advises and counsels veterans and works to ensure they can access as many benefits as they’re eligible for, including health care, disability compensation, death and burial benefits, pensions, job services and education.

ElderSource is the Area Agency on Aging and the Aging and Disability Resource Center for seven counties in northeast Florida, including Clay County. Middleburg seniors receive free, personalized services to help them remain safe and more independent. Programs and services include Medicare counseling, long-term care options counseling, an elder helpline, volunteer opportunities and various events. ElderSource also provides access to various other senior resources, including support groups.

The Florida Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program advocates for seniors in long-term care facilities statewide, including in assisted living. It strives to improve all LTC residents’ quality of life. A trained ombudsman promotes the health and safety of LTC residents by protecting their rights and addressing any complaints they may have against a facility. The First Coast District Office in Jacksonville provides ombudsman services to residents of assisted living communities in Clay County, including those in Middleburg.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Middleburg

Middleburg-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Florida are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Florida page for more information about these laws.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Florida