The Sunshine State is one of the most popular destinations for retirees, and Ponte Vedra Beach is an ideal option. Ponte Vedra Beach is an unincorporated, picturesque seaside community just south of Jacksonville Beach and about 22 miles from Jacksonville. It’s part of St. Johns County and probably best known for being home to the PGA Tour and the Players Championship. About 31,000 people call Ponte Vedra Beach home, and 31.5% of those residents are seniors aged 60 or older. The stunning stretch of beach offers one of the most desirable and beautiful locations in the Jacksonville Metro.

Assisted living facilities are designed to provide personal care and supportive services in the least restrictive, homelike setting to seniors who don’t require around-the-clock care. The average monthly cost of assisted living in Ponte Vedra Beach is $4,150, which is higher than the Florida average but lower than the national median.

This guide provides an overview of assisted living costs in Ponte Vedra Beach and compares those fees with the average costs in nearby cities, as well as other senior care options. It also provides a list of benefits and drawbacks of retiring in Ponte Vedra Beach and some free resources that can help seniors remain active, social and independent.

Directory of Assisted Living Facilities in Ponte Vedra Beach, FL

The Palms at Ponte Vedra

405 Solana Road, Ponte Vedra Beach, FL, 32082

High turnover of staff and seems under staffed especially with CNA’s and Nurses. Those that are still at The Palms are friendly and helpful to everyone. This is before and during Covid lock down. … (read more)

Cypress Village

4600 Middleton Park Circle East, Jacksonville, FL, 32224

We went to look at Cypress Village. The tour was wonderful. Everybody was so kind and helpful. We enjoyed the meal. The apartments were nice. It was just very expensive, so we kind of gave up on that. … (read more)

Wyndham Lakes

10660 Old St. Augustine Road, Jacksonville, FL, 32257

Wyndham Lakes is a bigger facility. I liked that everybody’s on the first floor, which was nice. They try to accommodate who’s more mobile than others. They try and provide a room closer to the activi … (read more)

Camellia at Deerwood

10061 Sweetwater Pkwy, Jacksonville, FL, 32256

We went in and had a tour of Camellia at Deerwood. It’s a beautiful facility. The lady that we met with was very accommodating. She showed us around. We like the place. They had a swimming pool, the a … (read more)

2014, 2015

Brookdale Southside

9601 Southbrook Dr., Jacksonville, FL, 32256

Brookdale Southside was wonderful. It had everything my cousin needed plus some. The lady I met was very, very informative, very helpful, and showed us everything. The room would be perfect for him. I … (read more)

Fountains at Mill Cove

9960 Atrium Way, Jacksonville, FL, 32225

My mom was a patient at the Fountains At mill cove rehab center. The first night she was dropped off no one checked on her, she was unable to get to the bathroom on her own. No one monitored her blood … (read more)

Sunrise of Jacksonville

4870 Belfort Road, Jacksonville, FL, 32256

We have found Sunrise of Jacksonville for my mom. The living facility was immaculate, and it felt homey. I watched very carefully to see how the people that live there are interacting with the people … (read more)

Sodalis Jacksonville

7620 Timberlin Park, Jacksonville, FL, 32256

Sodalis Jacksonville was everything that I was looking for and more. It’s nice and it looked like it was well kept. The staff was friendly and helpful. The rooms were OK until I found out that you hav … (read more)

2013, 2016, 2022

Atria Park of San Pablo

14199 Wm Davis Parkway, Jacksonville, FL, 32224

My family member has been a resident at the Atria Senior Living facility for over two years. The staff, activities, food and management are extremely good. I would happily refer anyone to this locat … (read more)

Starling of San Jose

9075 San Jose Boulevard, Jacksonville, FL, 32257

We went to Starling of San Jose. It was a very possible place. It was a nice clean facility. It seemed very, very nice. The staff were very nice. The rooms were adequate. It was a bigger facility; it … (read more)

Brookdale Mandarin

10790 Old St. Augustine Road, Jacksonville, FL, 32086

I like being here at Brookdale Mandarin. Everybody is very friendly and open. We have little group meetings where we get together and talk about anything and everything. Management is very good. Every … (read more)

2016

The Windsor at San Pablo

4000 San Pablo Parkway, Jacksonville, FL, 32224

My mother is a resident of The Windsor. She has really enjoyed living there. The employees there are so kind to all the residents. I visit with her a lot and I see how much respect the residents ar … (read more)

The Cove at Marsh Landing

1700 The Greens Way, Jacksonville, FL, 32250

The Cove at Marsh Landing is a nice place. It was less expensive and it’s beautiful. They have activities and the people are friendly. It’s a good place. My mom has a studio of about 350 square feet. … (read more)

Anthem Lakes

905 Assisi Lane, Atlantic Beach, FL, 32233

We are staying here at Anthem Lakes assisted living, but I am looking for something that’s a little bit less expensive that still provides the same services. I like the place because it’s close to the … (read more)

2012

HarborChase of Jacksonville

3455 San Pablo Road S, Jacksonville, FL, 32224

We chose HarborChase of Jacksonville for mom, and everything has been fine so far. They’ve made a lot of effort to assess what she needs, and everything has been provided.

Starling at Nocatee Assisted Living and Memory Care

999 Crosswater Parkway, Ponte Vedra, FL, 32081

My mother was a resident in memory care. She received wonderful care and was treated with respect and kindness. It felt like family. When she became ill, Starling provided exceptional service and w … (read more)

Mi Casa Adult Living Facility

6856 St Augustine Road, Jacksonville, FL, 32217

Mi Casa Adult Living Facility was like a house and felt crowded. I liked that the language was Spanish, but it’s narrow, there’s not enough space, and it’s expensive. I felt claustrophobic. The sta … (read more)

Brookdale Southpoint

6895 Belfort Oaks Place, Jacksonville, FL, 32216

I went to Brookdale Southpoint. It’s a little bit better than the other place I visited. The staff was very accommodating, friendly, and very helpful. They showed me around and answered all my questio … (read more)

Grand Living at Tamaya

3270 Tamaya Boulevard, Jacksonville, FL, 32246

The staff at Grand Living at Tamaya was very nice. There were lots of people. It was extremely fancy and maybe a little too formal for my father in his condition to appreciate. It probably is designed … (read more)

Life Care Center of Jacksonville

4813 LENOIR AVENUE, Jacksonville, FL, 32216

I recommend Life Care Center of Jacksonville. The facility is very nice and clean. They have nice equipment to help there patient. They have never ran out of planning. The food there is great. The nur … (read more)

What to Consider About Assisted Living in Ponte Vedra Beach

The Florida Agency for Health Care Administration licenses and regulates Florida’s health facilities. The AHCA’s Division of Health Quality Assurance licenses/certifies and regulates assisted living facilities. Its Bureau of Field Operations completes on-site surveys to ensure facilities are complying with state licensure requirements. The Jacksonville Field Office is responsible for assisted living facilities in St. Johns County.

Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Ponte Vedra Beach

• Florida is an extremely tax-friendly state, especially toward retirees. There isn’t any state income tax in Florida, so retirement income and Social Security benefits aren’t taxed.
  • The average combined statewide sales tax rate is 7.01%, which is about average and ranks Florida 23rd in the nation. However, St. Johns County only charges 0.5% for local sales taxes, so the combined total in Ponte Vedra Beach is just 6.5%. Groceries and prescription drugs are exempt from these taxes, which saves money on two top expenses for seniors.
  • Lower taxes help counter the higher-than-average cost of living in St. Johns County, which is about 11% higher than the national average. However, health care and transportation costs are both about 4% lower than the national average. Groceries are 3% higher than the national median, but the difference is offset since they’re not taxed.
  • On a scale of one to 100 with one being the best, the national average for violent crime is 22.7. Florida is higher than the national average at 23.4, but violent crime in St. Johns County is lower at 20.4. However, the property crime rates are a bit higher; the national average is 35.4, while St. Johns County has an average property crime rate of 40.3.
  • Ponte Vedra Beach doesn’t have a local hospital, but it’s just seven miles from the Mayo Clinic-Jacksonville, which is regionally ranked #1 in Florida and Jacksonville. This general medical surgical facility is nationally ranked in seven adult specialties, including cancer, diabetes and endocrinology, gastroenterology and GI surgery, geriatrics, neurology and neurosurgery, orthopedics and urology. It’s also rated high performing in one adult specialty and 16 procedures or conditions.

Paying for Assisted Living in Ponte Vedra Beach

According to the Genworth 2020 Cost of Care Survey, the average cost of assisted living in Ponte Vedra Beach is $4,150 per month. While this is $150 lower than the national median, it’s $450 higher than the statewide average.

The Cost of Assisted Living in Nearby Cities

Of the nearest surrounding cities, Ponte Vedra Beach’s average cost of assisted living is lower than some but higher than others. Seniors in Ocala pay $150 less for this level of care, while fees in Deltona are $100 per month cheaper. However, costs in Ponte Vedra Beach are $421 per month lower than the Gainesville average and $1,356 lower than Tallahassee’s monthly average.

$4150

Gainesville

$5506

Tallahassee

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

In addition to comparing assisted living costs, seniors may also opt to compare other types of senior care to see which one best matches their personal and financial needs. The lowest cost option is adult day health care, which has an average monthly cost of $1,408. Receiving care at home is higher in cost but convenient for those who want to age in place. Homemaker services cost an average of $4,385 per month, and home health aides cost $4,433. Nursing home care is the most comprehensive and costly at an average of $8,638 per month for semiprivate accommodations and $9,885 for private rooms.

$4385

Adult Day Health Care

$4150

Assisted Living Facility

$8638

Nursing Home Facility (semiprivate room)

$9885

Nursing Home Facility (private room)

Note: Data for Ponte Vedra Beach was unavailable, so data for the nearest city, Jacksonville, was used instead.

Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Ponte Vedra Beach

Residents of assisted living facilities in Ponte Vedra Beach may be eligible for financial assistance through the Medicaid Long Term Care Program and the Assistive Care Services waiver. Additional funding may also be available for the Optional State Supplement for seniors who receive Social Security income.

Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Florida page.

Paying for Assisted Living Facilities in Florida

More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living

• Veterans Benefits
  • Life Insurance Policy
  • Long-Term Care Insurance
  • Reverse Mortgage

For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Florida page.

Free Assisted Living Resources in Ponte Vedra Beach

Seniors looking for information or supportive services that can help them remain active, mobile and social will find numerous free resources in Ponte Vedra Beach and throughout St. Johns County. Government entities and nonprofits provide a wealth of services for older adults in assisted living and other types of senior care.

Resource

Contact

Services

Council on Aging St. Johns County

COA St. Johns County offers an array of no-cost services to promote seniors’ independence, including volunteer-based outreach programs, classes and nutrition. Its Coastal Home Care program also provides comprehensive services to promote independence, regardless of whether a senior lives at home, in a retirement community or at a long-term care facility.

THE PLAYERS Community Senior Center

The Players CSC in Ponte Vedra provides numerous activities, classes and programs for seniors looking for fun and opportunities for socialization. The Center offers exercise programs, computer classes, crafts, informative speaker programs, dancing and dining with friends, among others. Seniors can also fill out a transportation request form if they need help getting to the center.

ElderSource

(888) 242-4464 or (904) 391-6600

ElderSource is the Area Agency on Aging and the Aging and Disability Resource Center for Northeast Florida, which includes St. Johns County and Ponte Vedra Beach. It offers free, personalized services to help keep older adults and those with disabilities safe and more independent. Programs and services include elder abuse prevention, senior resources, support groups, long-term care information, the elder helpline, Caring Connection, volunteer opportunities and events and outreach.

Florida Ombudsman Program

(850) 414-2323 or (904) 391-3942

The Florida Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program strives to improve the quality of life for all long-term care residents throughout the state. The ombudsman advocates for and promotes the health and safety of LTC residents while protecting their welfare and rights. The First Coast District Office in Jacksonville provides ombudsman services to assisted living residents in St. Johns County, including Ponte Vedra Beach, and addresses any complaints they might have.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Ponte Vedra Beach

Ponte Vedra Beach-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Florida are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Florida page for more information about these laws.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Florida