19 Assisted Living Facilities near Niles, MI
Also serving communities of Bridgman.
There are 19 Assisted Living Facilities in the Niles area, with 2 in Niles and 17 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Niles is $3,550 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,500. Cheaper nearby regions include Granger with an average starting cost of $3,546.
To help you with your search, browse the 113 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Niles. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Niles 4.3 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Granger with an average rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Niles, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Niles, MI
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Niles
Niles, MI, is located near South Bend, Indiana, and seniors can visit the local historical sites, such as Chapin Mansion, a magnificent 1882-era home and the current site of the Niles History Center. Seniors aged 65 and over make up a quarter of the city's 29,184 people, and many of them attend sewing, card, and bingo events at the Niles senior center.
Some seniors may need assistance with the tasks of daily living, which they can receive at two assisted living facilities in town or 16 more facilities in nearby communities, such as Southbend, IN, or Mishawaka, MI. In Niles and all of Michigan, the Department of Human Services regulates homes for the aged, as assisted living facilities are known in the state.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Niles
- Niles' cost of living rating is 83.2. That is 13 points below the state average and about 17 points below the national average. This is due to the lower housing, which is about half the national average. Family members moving to Niles to be closer to loved ones in assisted living facilities may benefit from lower housing expenses.
- Niles seniors should note that the air quality of 68 is 10 points higher than the national average. The water quality, however, is low at 36, compared to the national average of 55.
- Seniors in Niles and the rest of Michigan enjoy senior-friendly exemptions. The state doesn't collect taxes on Social Security income, and withdrawals from IRAs, 401(k)s and pensions are only partially taxed.
- Niles violent crime rate is 41.7, nearly double the national average; whereas Niles' property crime rate is 38.5, even with the national average of 35.4. Despite higher crime rates, assisted living facilities are usually located in secure buildings with surveillance cameras and other protective measures in place to protect residents.
- Seniors who don't like snow and cold weather may be uncomfortable in Niles during the chilly winter months. Niles has an annual temperature range of 17-83 degrees and receives 64 inches of snowfall each year, compared to a national average of 28 inches.
- The Niles area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Lakeland Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Note: Data on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Niles
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Michigan
Assisted Living costs in Niles start around $3,550 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Niles and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Niles
In Niles and the rest of state, the Michigan Choice Medicaid Waiver helps seniors who require nursing home care, a home for the aged or adult foster care.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Niles
Niles and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Niles, please visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Niles
Niles-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Michigan are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Niles, MI
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Niles
Review of Brentwood at Niles
We did a tour of Brentwood at Niles, and we like that place as well. We looked at an apartment, and the one-bedroom apartment was pretty nice. The staff was very sweet. She was very nice and wa... Read more
Review of Brentwood at Niles
We have placed my father at Brentwood at Niles. I would say that we were impressed with the facility itself. They encourage their residents to be active and socialize with others, so they have a se... Read more
Review of Woodland Terrace
Woodland Terrace was a very nice, clean, and well-kept building. The resident to staff ratio was a little low, though, and the residents seemed kind of zoned out. Read more