15 Assisted Living Facilities near Mishawaka, IN
There are 15 Assisted Living Facilities in the Mishawaka area, with 4 in Mishawaka and 11 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Mishawaka is $3,638 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,420. Cheaper nearby regions include South Bend with an average starting cost of $3,093.
To help you with your search, browse the 95 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Mishawaka. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Mishawaka 4.2 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Granger with an average rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped 7 families in Mishawaka find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Mishawaka, call (855) 863-8283.
4 Assisted Living Facilities in Mishawaka, IN
11 Assisted Living Facilities near Mishawaka, IN
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Mishawaka
Mishawaka, Ind., "The Princess City" is located next to South Bend, Ind. on the St. Joseph River. The Mishawaka area is home to 16 assisted living facilities, four within the city proper and an additional 12 facilities nearby. In Indiana, assisted living facilities, officially known as Residential Care Facilities (RCFs), house at least five individuals and provide at least one health-related service and two or more scheduled supportive services. All facilities are licensed and monitored by the Family and Social Services Agency (FSSA) Division of Aging.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Mishawaka
- Mishawaka ranks 44 out of 100 on Sperling’s Comfort Index, 10 points below the national average. The July high reaches the low 80s, while the January low is 17 degrees Fahrenheit.
- The air quality in Mishawaka is poor, which may pose a problem for seniors with respiratory illnesses. The American Lung Association rated the county that Mishawaka is in 36th out of 227 metropolitan areas for high ozone days, 17th out of 201 metropolitan areas for 24-hour particle pollution and 33rd out of 187 metropolitan areas for annual particle pollution.
- Mishawaka’s overall cost of living is nearly 20 percent below the national average. While the low cost of housing is the primary reason, seniors can also expect to pay about 5 percent less on groceries and about 3 percent less on transportation.
- The overall crime rate in Mishawaka is 86 percent higher than the state average and 96 percent higher than the national average. However, this is mainly due to the high number of incidents of property crime, which is 102 percent higher than Indiana’s average and 113 percent higher than the U.S. average. The violent crime rate is relatively low, coming 16 percent under the state average and 12 percent lower than the national average.
- The Mishawaka area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Saint Joseph Regional Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Mishawaka has an array of community resources for seniors, including Meals on Wheels, an organization that provides nutritious meals for homebound seniors who are unable to prepare their own meals, as well as one senior center.
Paying for Assisted Living in Mishawaka
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Indiana
Assisted Living costs in Mishawaka start around $3,975 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Mishawaka and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Mishawaka
Seniors in Mishawaka can apply to receive financial assistance from several programs to help pay for assisted living. Currently, there are four programs available: Indiana Medicaid, the state’s Medicaid Aged and Disabled 1915 (c) Waiver program, the Indiana Residential Care Assistance Program (RCAP) and Supplemental Security Income – Category G.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Indiana page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Indiana page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Mishawaka
Mishawaka and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Mishawaka, please visit our Assisted Living in Indiana page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Mishawaka
Mishawaka-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Indiana are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Indiana page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Mishawaka, IN
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Mishawaka
Review of The Waterford at Edison Lakes
My father was a resident of The Waterford at Edison Lakes, Mishawaka, IN from April 4-December 1, 2019. We toured the Waterford after the death of my mother (his wife) in March while they were runn... Read more
Review of The Waterford at Edison Lakes
The Waterford at Edison lakes was pretty new, and it was fabulous. I was impressed with how good it looked. They have both independent and assisted living all in the same unit and I think that's ni... Read more
Review of Primrose Retirement Community of Mishawaka
Staff is negligent. I've seen seniors sit in soiled undergarments for over 2 hours. I've seen residents screamed at by nurses. The food is bland, and doesn't meet state nutritional requirements.... Read more