Niles is home to over 11,000 residents, with a large senior community that makes up about 15% of the population. With its affordable health care and good air quality, it’s a popular option for older adults. Several high-performing hospitals are located in or near the city, including Lakeland Hospital and Saint Joseph Regional Medical Center.

For seniors with extensive care needs, nursing homes provide 24-hour monitoring and skilled nursing services, personal care services and three daily meals. Because of this high level of care, nursing home care is the most expensive senior care option in Niles. According to the Genworth 2020 Cost of Care Survey, nursing home residents in shared rooms pay approximately $9,125 per month, which is considerably higher than the national average of $7,756. For those who don’t need around-the-clock care, home health care or assisted living may be more suitable options.

This guide provides a detailed overview of the cost of nursing home care in Niles and how monthly fees compare to rates charged in other Michigan cities as well as to other senior care options. It also highlights programs and services available to seniors to help them delay or avoid nursing home placement or to pay for services.

Directory of Nursing Homes in Niles, MI

Chalet of Niles

911 S 3rd St, Niles, MI, 49120

My mom is a resident of Chalet of Niles and we liked the Chalet very much. We like the staff. My mom is 89 and we have been having problems as far as her healthcare is concerned. She has the propensit … (read more)

Riveridge Manor

1333 Wells Street, Niles, MI, 49120

Riveridge Rehab is a nursing home with a memory care wing that was much more depressing and more like a hospital. It didn’t seem quite well-kept, and they didn’t seem like they paid that much attentio … (read more)

West Woods of Niles

1211 STATE LINE RD, Niles, MI, 49120

Some nurses don’t even know how to prop up a stroke patient.. leave her laying flat and nothing under her arms. Was there last night for 6.5 hours and never received any medicine. I have lots more sim … (read more)

St. Paul’s

3602 S. Ironwood Dr., South Bend, IN, 46614

Bed Bugs!!!! Run Run Run!!!! My Mom was getting bites on her neck, arms, back and legs for 3 weeks. I complained to the directors and staff that something was biting her. After doing my own investigat … (read more)

Cardinal Nursing & Rehabilitation

1121 E. LaSalle Ave., South Bend, IN, 46617

I visited with my Ward (I’ve been his guardian for 6 years at this same facility) approximately a week or two ago. I was very impressed with the cleanliness of the nursing home and even mentioned it … (read more)

Cass County Medical Care Facil

23770 HOSPITAL ST, Cassopolis, MI, 49031

Very caring staff. More adequate staffing levels than another place where my aunt was previously. They are open to ideas from patients and families.

Healthwin

20531 DARDEN ROAD, South Bend, IN, 46637

My brother selected Healthwin, and we’re happy. What made us choose the place was the reputation of their rehab department, and the fact that’s been in the area for a long time. It’s a very clean an … (read more)

Briarcliff Health & Rehabilitation

5024 Western Ave, South Bend, IN, 46619

I toured the facility for a loved one. The facility was very well lit, spacious and clean. The staff were very friendly and professional and were very engaged with patients in activities. It was gr … (read more)

Belltower Health & Rehabilitation Center

5805 North Fir Road, Granger, IN, 46530

I had my mom here. They have some fabulous people who work here. They were always so kind to mom. They provided us with everything my mom would have wanted in her last days. I cannot thank you enough … (read more)

Trailpoint Village

1950 Ridgedale Rd., South Bend, IN, 46614

The facility we looked at was Ironwood Health Rehab, and we were very pleased. It’s very clean, caring, and efficient. The workers were very nice, friendly, and helpful, and they took very good care … (read more)

Holy Cross Village at Notre Dame

54515 Rte 933, PO Box 303, Notre Dame, IN, 46556

I felt Holy Cross Village was nice and friendly but too spread out for my husband’s physical capabilities. I thought the dining setup was nice, and the staff seems fine, but it was very expensive.

Holy Cross Long-Term Nursing Care

17475 DUGDALE DR, South Bend, IN, 46635

I found this facility old and poorly maintained and staffed. None of the drinking fountains worked and the floors were stained. The medical staff seemed to be preoccupied with their cell phones and d … (read more)

Signature Healthcare of South Bend

52654 N. Ironwood, South Bend, IN, 46635

This place was horrible. At least 90% of the staff is from a nursing agency because they can’t keep good help. The agency people didn’t know me and changed on a whim. The rooms are nice in the pictur … (read more)

Mishawaka Living Center

811 E 12TH ST, Mishawaka, IN, 46544

This is an excellent nursing home, I have worked here as a volunteer and planning to get an actually paid job. So it highly recommend it.

West Bend Nursing & Rehabilitation

4600 W. Washington St., South Bend, IN, 46619

My dad has not been at this facility in eight years they mistakenly called and told me that my father has passed away at 4 in the morning and it took them 45 minutes to figure out their mistake that t … (read more)

Creekside Village

1420 E. Douglas Rd, Mishawaka, IN, 46545

My family member was a resident at Creekside Village for several weeks. During this time she was neglected, disrespected and ignored. Many times I received phone calls from her in tears and in distres … (read more)

Golden Livingcenter – Fountainview

609 W TANGLEWOOD LANE, Mishawaka, IN, 46545

understaffed, unorganized, billing is always wrong. lost/misplaced personal things. rooms are not clean and need updating.

Milton Home

206 E MARION ST, South Bend, IN, 46601

Aunt stayed for 2 weeks while primary caregiver was out of town. When family came to pick her up, she was asleep at a table along with another woman. Both were soaked in urine. Her glucose level wa … (read more)

The Timbers Of Cass County

55432 Colby St, Dowagiac, MI, 49047

Nursing Home Costs in Niles, MI

Seniors in Niles pay approximately $9,125 per month for semiprivate rooms in local nursing homes. Private accommodations are several hundred dollars per month higher at $9,885.

The Cost of Nursing Home Care in Nearby Cities

With monthly fees for semiprivate rooms coming in at $9,125, Niles is a relatively expensive city for nursing home care. Local monthly rates are approximately 2% higher than the state median of $8,973 and 18% higher than the national rate of $7,756. Several cities have more affordable care than Niles, including Lansing, where monthly rates are equal to the state average at $8,973, and Bay City, where seniors pay $8,720. Jackson is among the more affordable options in the state at $8,365 per month, and Kalamazoo is the most expensive at $10,159.

$9125

Lansing

$8720

Bay City

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

Nursing home care is the most expensive senior care option in Niles at $9,125 per month for shared rooms and $9,885 for private rooms. For seniors who don’t need around-the-clock care, other options may be more affordable. Adult day health care, which offers skilled nursing services in a community setting, is the cheapest option at $2,167 per month. Those who need short-term skilled nursing services may opt for assisted living, which is affordable at $4,003 per month. Cost data for home-based care isn’t available for Niles, but statewide, seniors pay $4,576 per month for home care and $4,767 for home health care.

$2167

Adult day health care

$4003

Assisted living

$9125

Nursing home (semiprivate room)

$9885

Nursing home (private room)

Financial Assistance for Nursing Home Care in Niles, MI

Free Resources for Seniors in Niles, MI

Niles is home to a variety of nonprofit organizations that support seniors’ safety and independence. Through the following resources, seniors can get help with assessing their care needs and obtaining community-based services, which may enable them to delay or avoid nursing home placement. Niles also has agencies that help seniors identify the best options for covering care costs.

Resource Contact Service
Region IV Area Agency on Aging (800) 654-2810 The Region IV Area Agency on Aging serves seniors through a range of programs and services, including home-delivered meals, transportation, personal care services, respite and case management, which may enable older adults to obtain the care they need at home. The agency also administers the state’s Medicare/Medicaid Assistance Program to help older adults understand their Medicare benefits, compare Medicare Advantage and Medigap plans and determine Medicaid eligibility.
Southwest Michigan Community Action Agency (269) 635-3636 The Southwest Michigan Community Action Agency is a nonprofit organization that supports income-qualifying seniors through a range of services that may enable them to age in place. Its Weatherization Assistance Program performs energy audits and provides improvements to the home to optimize comfort and lower energy bills. The agency also has a Commodity Supplemental Food Program for those aged 60 and over that distributes monthly food boxes.
Niles-Buchanan Meals on Wheels (269) 687-1462 The local Meals on Wheels program delivers fresh meals to seniors in Niles unable to shop for or prepare meals themselves. It delivers two meals daily except on holidays. The cost is $5 per day, and flexible payment options are available.
Veterans Services (269) 983-7111, ext. 8224 The county’s Veterans Services Office provides advocacy and outreach services to local veterans and can help them obtain services and benefits that may enable them to stay in their own homes, including transportation and health care. The office can also help veterans apply for the Aid and Attendance benefit, which can be used towards care services at home or in a nursing home.
Greater Niles Senior Citizens’ Center (269) 683-9380 The Greater Niles Senior Citizens’ Center provides social and recreational activities to help alleviate boredom and loneliness for older adults. It also has transportation services for errands within the city limits.