St. Paul's

St. Paul's (800) 385-2527

Reviews of St. Paul's

Assisted Living Reviews for St. Paul's

January 15, 2015

Sanctuary at St Pauls was a large complex, and it was like a maze. The people that we met were very caring and outgoing. We have some friends that lived there -- and they have enjoyed living there too -- but they were more independent. We talked to the people that we knew; the rooms looked fine as well as the sanitation. The nursing care is available for my father, and that is what I like best about the facility. I recommend this facility.

July 21, 2013

By mizcriz

Our mother was a resident at St. Paul's for 2 yrs. Despite her profound hearing loss, she managed to make a few friends & she loved some of the staff members. She complained, however, about the dark, drab & depressing paint color of her rms. It's their std. color. She complained constantly about the bad food which was about as bad as institutional food can be. As her health declined we were very concerned that care did not increase. The "assistance" she was receiving for $2600/mo. seemed to consist of: meals; if she didn't appear at a meal, a check to see why; taking vital signs daily; laundry (but she rarely got all of her clothes back); wkly change of bed linens; a call button which would bring staff to her room "as soon as they are available". We were told the wait could be as much as 20 mins. Our experience was that ocassionally someone came within a few minutes but sometimes - especially during the night shift - no one ever came at all. Our complaints to the director resulted in his telling my sister, in effect, that they don't have the staff to do better & aren't required by the state to do so. And there are extra charges for many things like having meals in your room. Have staff handle your medications? $250/mo. & you have to buy them from St. Paul's. To be sure, there are some people working there who are wonderful & doing their very best. But can management be unaware that there are others who have no business in the caring professions. There were 2 outrageously bad ocassions. (1) My brother received a phone call that Mother had fallen & they were going to have her taken to the hospital. My brother told them not to do so until he arrived. He did arrive 10 mins. later to find her still lying on the floor. Also she had soiled herself & not been cleaned up. The night nurse was simply standing around. (2) Three weeks later Mother was under hospice care. A medication was ordered to ease her breathing. Two hrs. later the private CNA we had hired called hospice to find out why we hadn't received it. She was told it had been couriered over & delivered to the nurses station 2 hrs. earlier! At the nurses station, the St. Paul's nurse said, "Well, we were wondering." Wondering?! Wondering if a patient on hospice care might need a medication that had been specially delivered? But she was not concerned enough to get up & walk down the hall to check or even to pick up the phone. Would I recommend St. Paul's? No.

August 21, 2012

By Bonnie2

My grandmother was a very difficult client and quite unhappy to be in any kind of facility. St Paul's provided excellent care for her and had incredible patience. Eventually, they threatened to evict her if her behavior continued to be violent. At that point in time we took her to tour a traditional nursing home. After she realized what great care she received at St Paul's she settled down but was never very nice. I'm appreciative of the staff. Her apartment was very nice. The facilities were well monitored and knew within minutes of her stroke.

April 28, 2012

By clarence1

st pauls was an excellent facility. the staff was caring and attentive. all of the staff that we had dealt with went out of their way to make the residents and their families comfortable. there were many activities available for residents. unfortunately my grandmother didn't want to partake in these so i do not know if the activities were well run. there was a good variety of meal options available. visiting hours were normal from what i have seen at other places like this. but they were not strict with the hours so that it would be easier for family members that normally wouldnt be able to make it would now be able to visit. the only negative about the facilities were that the decorating was very drab. it seems that it would be more cheerful if there were more colors and decor that would help bring the moods of the residents up. over all st pauls was a very pleasant experience in a rough time

Independent Living Reviews for St. Paul's

February 28, 2019

By Charles

I like St. Paul's a lot. The place was excellent, the people were nice, and I had a real good interview. Everything was great and clean. I would love to get in there. The staff was excellent, knew everything about it, all my questions were answered, and was very professional. It was lunchtime when I was there and the food looked excellent. Everybody was pleased with the food and it smelled pretty good to me. They explained the activities to me, which sounded great.

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit St. Paul's and for providing your feedback. I am so pleased to read that you received the information you were looking for and that you thought we were great! It is our sincere goal to provide an excellent experience for our residents and all that consider calling us their home. Thank you again!

February 27, 2019

By Patricia

St. Paul’s was very nice and very pleasant. It’s very well lit, sunny, bright, and very pleasant to be in. I didn’t try the food, but what I saw of the residents eating, it was very good.

Thank you so much for taking the time to tour St. Paul's! I'm so pleased to see we have earned such a wonderful review. We certainly take pride in the cheery atmosphere we provide our residents and I'm glad to see you appreciated that as well. We'd love to welcome you as a resident to St. Paul's.

April 27, 2017

By Sheila542041

They did a very nice job at St Paul's. The location was good for my mother. Everything seemed to be just as nice as other communitities. They had a lot of activities. The menu was very good. We have pretty much decided on St. Paul's.

October 31, 2015

I’ve been a resident of St. Paul's for a week. They have two dining rooms, but are short-handed and not running them properly; they only have one manager and are waiting for a second one. I had to go set my own table this evening. They serve supper at 6 p.m., which I can’t understand -- the food is cold, and half the time you don’t get the correct orders. I’ve been communicating with them for a month, and they never told me that the lease was effective the day you sign it.

May 11, 2015

By Paul110711250

I really liked St. Paul's. The lady came out, we walked most of the facility, and she took me to a room to show me how the rooms would be. I looked at a two-bedroom room, and each person had its own shower. There was either a walk-in shower or a stand-in shower, and I thought that was kind of nice because then my mom or dad could be in the shower if they wanted to. They had their own bathroom, and I thought that was kind of neat. Each had a bed and a shower, and then there was a middle room where they could come together and watch TV if they wanted to. When I was there, I thought they were getting ready to put on some kind of play, but I really don't know because I knew my parents were old enough that they would probably wouldn't get involved in it, but they would give you a list of activities that they do put on every other day. Each month, they had something going on. I didn't pay much attention to it because I knew my parents were old enough that they wouldn't care about it. They told us how nice the place was. What was nice was they could either do their laundry whenever they wanted to or had some kind of assistance if they needed to do their laundry, and it wasn't once a week or twice a week; it was whenever they wanted it done. One thing that would probably nice for my mother was they had church every day. She would love something like that, and the church was right there; you don't have to go outside. I thought they had their own beauty parlor there to do their hair. I thought there was a place where my dad could on the computer, and that's what he liked to do. They had a room with 3 or 4 computers, and you could be in that room if you wanted to be. They had a pretty good size dining room. I thought they could fit 4 or 5 people at a table, there was quite a few of them, and it wasn't like it was going to be cramped or anything. I felt safe that they would be all right there. I was pretty much satisfied with everything. The only thing I didn't like because I know in my heart that my mother wouldn't like it because she was hard at hearing and she was blind; they told me that at dinner time, every day they would make you sit at a different table. I knew they were doing that so you could get involved with other people and maybe have some different friendships, but if you were blind and you couldn't see, you don't want to be moved from table to table. You would want to pick a table and stay there.

Questions about St. Paul's

Describe the overall population of assisted living residents at St. Paul's. What is their average age? What are their favorite things to do?

The average age for Assisted Living would be mid 80's. However, our average is a little skewed since we have 10 residents in our Centenarian club- over 100 years old! These residents enjoy going to daily mass, partaking in our Wellness Classes (physical exercise along with other classes), and meeting other residents playing games and doing crafts. All of our residents enjoy the weekly live entertainment and scheduled outings with the activities department.

What programs or activities does St. Paul's offer to enrich residents' well-being?

St. Paul's offers classes that focus on the 8 Dimensions of Wellness (Physical, Social, Financial, Environmental, Occupational, Spiritual, Emotional and Intellectual). Some classes are consistently offered, such as art classes, floral design, yoga, tai chi, line dancing, and Senior Fit classes. Other classes vary month to month, offering speakers that focus on various topics surrounding the 8 dimensions mentioned. Residents enjoy weekly live entertainment, use of the shuffle board court as well as a gazebo and various sitting areas outdoors, which includes a water feature. We offer a work out room with a personal wellness director, computer rooms, card rooms, a large library and book shelves on every floor. We offer daily mass in 2 chapels, a reflection/ grotto area and a convenience store residents can shop at.

What places are near St. Paul's or within walking distance for assisted living residents to enjoy?

St. Paul's is set on 40 acres. Our residents enjoy the walking paths, rolling hills, water features and plenty of shady spots to sit and rest.

What transportation services does St. Paul's offer to assisted living residents?

St. Paul's has 2 vans that provide free transportation for our residents. They have weekly trips to local shopping areas, as well, residents can make their own reservations for doctor visits, hair appointments, airport drop off's, etc.

What makes the chef or dining program at St. Paul's exceptional? What kind of menu can assisted living residents expect?

At St. Paul's, we believe in fresh options. The majority of our entrees are made from scratch and with local and fresh ingredients. Residents in Independent Living dine in our Main Dining Room and our Bistro. They are given daily options as well as "always available" menu options for more variety. Assisted Living residents dine in our Vineyard, as well as our 3rd floor dining room. Both are open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Residents choose from a large menu with rotating specials- options such as homemade daily soups, salads, sandwiches and hot entrée options.

What safety features or security measures does St. Paul's offer to assisted living residents?

Independent Residents receive an emergency alert pendant that goes to our maintenance department/ security officer when activated. Assisted Living residents receive an emergency alert pendant that goes to the nurses station on their floor when activated. Residents are also secure in knowing that a pass card is needed to gain access to the building (other than the front door during normal operating hours). Independent residents also have a plastic disk on the outside of their door to alert security if they have not left their apartment for breakfast. This is a great relief to residents and families knowing that their loved one is being checked on daily.

Costs for St. Paul's

Training Areas

• Memory Care Training

• State Licenses: 18-000104-2

About St. Paul's

Welcome to St. Paul’s — a lifestyle senior living community in South Bend, Indiana, where seniors come together to live an active, fulfilling life. It’s a place where residents paint like artists and train like athletes, where neighbors become friends and friends become family, and where you’ll always be inspired to keep learning and growing.

A trusted name in senior living communities, St. Paul’s is a Life Plan Community that offers continuing care that is faith-based, hospitality-rich and wellness focused. Here, you’ll discover a group of residents and staff who believe in the value of togetherness and community. And as one of Michiana’s most complete continuing care senior communities, St. Paul’s brings multiple senior housing options together into a single location.

St. Paul's Independent Living apartments for seniors provide convenience and individualized services within a warm and friendly environment. We offer spacious apartments, freshly prepared meals and a wide variety of recreation and fitness opportunities.

When you make St. Paul’s your new home, you’ll find a variety of exceptional services and amenities to satisfy your needs:

• Daily, continental breakfast at the Bistro
  • Choice of restaurant-style lunch or dinner
  • Bi-weekly housekeeping services
  • Full calendar of activities, outings and clubs
  • Weekly, flat laundry and linen services
  • Coin-free laundry facilities
  • Computer and rec rooms
  • Library
  • Art gallery
  • Media center
  • A Wellness Director
  • On-site Fitness Center
  • Daily Mass and Chapel for all denominations
  • On-site salon and barber services
  • On-site convenience shops
  • Paid electric, heating/cooling and water
  • Guest suite available for family or friends
  • Reflection garden and walking paths
  • Storage unit
  • Free parking
  • Free local transportation
  • Free pendant alert system

Our Assisted Living apartments offer all the benefits of the St. Paul’s lifestyle with the added security of 24-hour support and assistance from our nursing staff. Whether you need help with day-to-day routines and activities, managing medications or facilitating physician visits, we focus on meeting your ever-changing needs.

St. Paul's cultivates wellness for body, mind and spirit by offering many amenities and services:

• 24-hour nursing staff
  • Seven levels of specialized care
  • Restaurant-style breakfast, lunch and dinner
  • Laundry services
  • Paid electric, heating/cooling and water
  • Free parking
  • Free local transportation
  • Free pendant alert systems

We are Faith-based and Wellness Focused, plus we offer a complete continuum of care!

Map of St. Paul's