16 Assisted Living Facilities near South Bend, IN
Also serving communities of Notre Dame.
There are 16 Assisted Living Facilities in the South Bend area, with 8 in South Bend and 8 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in South Bend is $3,266 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,500. Cheaper nearby regions include Mishawaka with an average starting cost of $2,975.
To help you with your search, browse the 104 reviews below for assisted living facilities in South Bend. On average, consumers rate assisted living in South Bend 3.9 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Mishawaka with an average rating of 4.2 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped 9 families in South Bend find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in South Bend, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in South Bend, IN
What to Consider About Assisted Living in South Bend
South Bend, Ind., gets it's name from it's location on the southernmost bend of the St. Joseph River. In South Bend, assisted living facilities, officially known as Residential Care Facilities (RCFs), house five or more individuals and provide at least one health-related service and at least two scheduled supportive services. The area is home to 19 facilities, with eight facilities located in South Bend and another 11 located in nearby cities, all licensed and monitored by the Family and Social Services Agency (FSSA) Division of Aging.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in South Bend
- South Bend's weather can be harsh, experiencing cold winters with lows around 17 degrees Fahrenheit and roughly 64 inches of snow annually. Summers are warm, with a July high of 83 degrees Fahrenheit.
- The air quality in South Bend in poor, which may pose a problem for seniors with respiratory illnesses. The American Lung Association rated the city 36th out of 227 metropolitan areas for high ozone days, 17th out of 201 metropolitan areas for 24-hour particle pollution and 33rd out of 187 metropolitan areas for annual particle pollution.
- South Bend is an affordable place to live, with an overall cost of living 8 percent lower than the state average and nearly 23 percent lower than the national average. While the low costs of housing and utilities are the primary factors in this figure, seniors can expect to pay 5 percent less on groceries and roughly 3 percent less on transportation than they would elsewhere.
- South Bend has reliable public transportation courtesy of Transpo, which operates 17 routes throughout South Bend and Mishawaka. Seniors can show their Medicare card to receive a discount on their fare.
- South Bend has a crime rate 104 percent higher than the state average and 115 percent higher than the national average. The rate of violent crimes is 152 percent higher than the state average and 164 percent higher than the national average, and the property crime rate is 96 percent higher than the average for Indiana and 107 percent higher than the U.S. average.
- The South Bend area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Memorial Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Paying for Assisted Living in South Bend
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Indiana
Assisted Living costs in South Bend start around $3,074 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in South Bend and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in South Bend
Qualifying low-income seniors in South Bend may be able to receive financial assistance from state and federally funded programs to help pay for their care. Currently, there are four programs available: Indiana Medicaid, the state’s Medicaid Aged and Disabled 1915 ( c ) Waiver program, the Indiana Residential Care Assistance Program (RCAP) and Supplemental Security Income – Category G.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Indiana page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Indiana page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in South Bend
South Bend and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in South Bend, please visit our Assisted Living in Indiana page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in South Bend
South Bend-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Indiana are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Indiana page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in South Bend, IN
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in South Bend
Review of Grand Emerald Place
I went and toured Grand Emerald Place. They were pretty good. It's way out in the middle of nowhere; I like the way it is though. I like that they can see wild animals like the birds, the deer, and... Read more
Review of Grand Emerald Place
I found Grand Emerald Place, and my mom is moving in this weekend. We liked it very well, and the people were very friendly. They had a studio and a 1-bedroom, and they're nice. They said they had ... Read more
Review of Wellbrooke of South Bend
I visited Wellbrooke of South Bend in person. It's fairly new and it's bright. The actual tour itself was very good. The positive there is that they have exercise programs and they have exercise fa... Read more