5 Assisted Living Facilities near Dowagiac, MI
Also serving communities of Cassopolis.
There are 5 Assisted Living Facilities in the Dowagiac area, with 4 in Dowagiac and 1 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Dowagiac is $2,300 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,500. Cheaper nearby regions include Saint Joseph with an average starting cost of $1,750.
To help you with your search, browse the 2 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Dowagiac. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Dowagiac 4.5 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Three Rivers with an average rating of 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Dowagiac, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 5 Assisted Living Facilities in Dowagiac, MI
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Dowagiac
Dowagiac, located in the Fruit Belt along the Michigan border, has several lakes where some of the area’s 738 seniors can enjoy boating, fishing or just strolling along the shores. Area seniors can also visit the area’s historic train depot or take in a show at the local dinner theatre. Seniors who need extra assistance with their personal care can find support with daily living tasks at one of the city’s three assisted living facilities, or at the facility in nearby Cassopolis.
The Department of Human Services licenses and oversees assisted living facilities in Dowagiac and throughout Michigan, where they’re referred to as homes for the aged and adult foster care.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Dowagiac
- Dowagiac has a low cost of living that might make the area ideal for seniors with restrictive budgets. The city’s cost of living is 82.4, considerably lower than both the state average of 96.7 and the national average of 100. Seniors can also expect to pay less for groceries and healthcare.
- Michigan partially taxes both retirement savings account income and pensions, which may be a consideration for low-income Dowagiac seniors with tight budgets.
- Seniors with chronic respiratory conditions may find breathing easier when living in Dowagiac. The city has an air quality rating of 82 on a 100-point scale where higher numbers equate to better air quality, almost 30 points higher than the national average of 58.
- The Dowagiac area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Ascension Borgess - Lee Hospital and Donald Lyons Health Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Crime rates are high in Dowagiac which may be concerning for safety-conscious seniors looking for a safe city in which to retire. The city has a violent crime rating of 26.4, slightly higher than the national average of 22.7 and a property crime rating of 70.3, twice the national average of 35.4. City seniors and their families may want to ensure that prospective facilities have security systems with cameras and alarms.
- Temperatures in Dowagiac range from 83 degrees Fahrenheit in the summer to 18 degrees in the winter. The city gets 40 inches of rain each year, two more than the national average of 38 inches; and 70 inches of annual snowfall, 42 more inches than the national average of 28 inches. These weather conditions may pose concerns for seniors who rely on mobility aids such as canes, walkers or wheelchairs.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Dowagiac
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Michigan
Assisted Living costs in Dowagiac start around $2,300 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Dowagiac and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Dowagiac
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Dowagiac
Dowagiac and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Dowagiac, please visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Dowagiac
Dowagiac-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Michigan are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Dowagiac
Review of Forest Glen Assisted Living
My dad moved into Forest Glen Assisted Living. It is very good. His room is very clean. They've made every effort to make sure everything is up-to-date, and it is quite spacious. Everybody is frien... Read more
Review of Kelly's Hillside Manor
My uncle is comfortable at Kelly's Hillside Manor. He likes the other people who live there. He likes the guy who owns the place who also takes him to all his doctors' appointments. My uncle shares... Read more